on 30 October 2006
I bought Ruth Watson's last book and really liked it. This latest one is full of recipes for 8 people which is fabulous as I really like entertaining and they're exactly the kind of food my friends and family like eating. I made the lemon tart and the roast lamb on Sunday and they were both fantastic. They are also clearly written and explained. I like starters so was slightly disappointed that all the recipes in this chapter are for delicatessan type food, but they're useful if you haven't got time to cook a whole 3 course meal. I also like the humour Ruth Watson brings to the book. It's a good read too.
on 5 December 2006
At last someone has written a book that means I do not have to spend all day in the kitchen while everyone else enjoys themselves. Unlike most chef's cookbooks this one has recipes that even a modest cook like me can follow and carry out successfully. Ruth Watson's style of writing is humorous and never dull. I can think of at least five family and friends who will be getting this book for Christmas - they really need it.
on 14 July 2007
I rarely if ever find myself cooking for fewer than 7 or 8 people, this book has real recipes, not the nouvelle cuisine portions that one finds in other cook books, the recipes work and the food is excellent, so no more trying to double things to make a recipe accommodate the number at your table, there are traditional and New recipes, something for every meal....I wouldn't be without this book.
on 6 November 2006
This book really does what it says on the tin -great recipes that give you time to prepare ahead and enjoy pre dinner drinks with your guests.

Clear instructions, beautiful illustrations, delicious results -perfect!
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2006
Written in Ruth Watson's inimitable style with her sense of humour and common sense to the fore it is a book for every day and well as the week-ends. We are being told that we are at the mercy of ready meals and highly processed food well - if you follow Ms. Watson's recipes and ideas you will have nothing but good wholesome food made with top quality ingredients. Nothing is too complicated and her ideas (especially the vegetable section which is inspired) will faze the moderately competent cook. If you use this book you will enhance your circle of friends exponentially - they will be queuing up to eat at you house!
on 27 May 2010
I run a guest house and serve evening meals for our guests. This book has been the mainstay of my preparations for paying customers as well as family and friends. Faultless recipes for delicious prepare ahead food. It could not get much better.
on 28 April 2015
This was bought as a gift, I already have a copy. I've purchased this for so many friends now. Every single recipe in here works, and best of all, every single recipe feed 8 - your basic weekend dinner party size. The cheesecake and lemon tart are sublime. I think I've made most the recipes, they work every single time without a hitch. Can't recommend it enough.
on 17 January 2012
Something for the WeekendExcellent ideas from an excellent cook. You may not like her bossiness on TV but you'll appreciate her recipe directions here. This woman knows what she's talking about. Lots of great ideas, achievable, very down to earth, just like the lady herself. I'll be using this a lot.
on 15 May 2014
This is a fabulous book, I entertain a lot and the recipes are great. The lamb recipe is one of the best I have ever made
on 5 May 2016