5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful baby knits made childsplay
Published on 4 Jan 2007 by Mrs. J. Ireson

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite special
LIked some of hte patterns in this book, but thought some looked liked rehashes of classic Debbie Bliss designs I've seen in other books. Good if you haven't got her other books I'd say!
Published on 13 Nov 2007 by Maudie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful baby knits made childsplay, 4 Jan 2007
Mrs. J. Ireson (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simply Baby: 20 Special Handknits for Baby's First Two Years (Paperback)
I haven't knitted since I was a Brownie Guide (over twenty years ago!) but this book and my impending motherhood have enticed me to dust off my old knitting needles. It was the gorgeous photographs that initially caught my eye but it was the wide variety of designs that made me buy it. Unlike other books I've looked at, which only contained one or two designs I would consider making, this book is terrific value. There are at least ten patterns that I'd like to knit in this book and because the sizes range from 0 to 24 months I'll have plenty of time to do so before my little 'un grows too big. I suspect I will be knitting some of the patterns more than once.

The first design I've knitted is the Cable Blanket and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I have never attempted a cable knit before (and worried that I was being too ambitious for my abilities) but I found the instructions really easy to follow and the techniques section at the front with illustrations was really helpful and made it all clear.

I'm now trying to decide whether to make the cute Wee Willie Winkie Hat or the pretty lacy Matinee Jacket for my next project...

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and practical, 14 May 2007
I got this book as I do lots of gift knitting and wanted something that would be a bit different to the usual baby patterns.

This book is fantastic. It's filled with beautiful photos of happy kids climbing and crawling around while modelling the outfits. The patterns themselves are clear and easy to follow, from simple to advanced in level. I defy anyone to pick this up and not want to knit the contents.

I even want to scale up one of the patterns (the gorgeous coat) so that I can knit one in my size!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Baby: 20 Special Handknits for Baby's First Two Years, 11 May 2007
G. Burrell "Gillybee" (Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Wonderful modern easy stylish designs ! Want to knit them all!

and probably will!

Great that the designs come in sizes from 0-3 months to 2 years

Excellent book well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book, 9 May 2007
This book has a wonderful selection of patterns that would appeal to both beginners and experienced knitters. Beautiful pictures and clear,easy to understand instructions are what you expect from a Debbie Bliss book but with this one she has excelled herself. The Teddy Bear pattern is particularly lovely and the result looks as good as the picture.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite special, 13 Nov 2007
Maudie (London, UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible photos, 10 Sep 2010
Dr. S. Tollerton "Sigrun" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
I was really disappointed in this book. I have heard so many good things about Debbie Bliss' baby designs, and as I rarely knit for babies I just wanted one good resource book. I hoped this would be it, but I could hardly find anything I would like to knit.

Lots of patterns in heavy yarns which I think would be too thick for a baby, and sleeve designs which I also think would be awkward.

But the worst thing was the photography. OK, I'm a photographer myself, so I am picky, but lots of the more modern knitting books have wonderful photography. For me it is crucial that one can at least see what the garment is meant to look like - in this book, about half of them you really can't see important details. Lots of the shots are unsharp - I know it's fashionable to use slow shutter speeds to convey movement, and shallow depth of field to give "atmosphere", but there could be just one purely illustrative, sharp, well composed shot for each pattern. And for most, that one is missing!

Next time I fancy a Debbie Bliss I'll look for it in a bookshop rather than buying it online!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 4 Mar 2009
This is a beautiful book with lots of gorgeous patterns and photographs for projects for babies. There are also instructions at the front for every technique needed. Definitely worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars new to debbie bliss but not new to knitting, 16 Dec 2010
i have been knitting for around 45 years on and off. knitting patterns back in the 60's and 70's were always very accurate and very well written. they taught you kniiting skills and you produced nice garments.

debbie bliss i am very new to. beautifull photos and if you can afford it lovely yarn. this totals exceptionally beautifull baby garments in a league of their own.i would call this the couture end of baby knitting. truly deluxe yarns that coupled with these delightfull designs make knitting them up and seeing your baby in these exceptional works of art.

now for the rub. it will cost you £20 on average to knit a tiny baby cardigan 0-3 months plus the price of the book,buttons,ribbon and knitting needles.

some of the patterns are not clear and a novice knitter will find this aspect irritating.i knitted the teal matine coat and it by far one of my fav baby garments. it is knitted on 3 different size needles something that would be unheard of in my early years of knitting. but the slightly off the wall instructions and shaping did make this fit and feel gorgeous.
if you are planning to have enough babies to pass these heirloom goodies on to and can afford the very expensive yarns you will not regret it.there are auction sites where you can get the wool a little cheaper and amazon do sell the books at a fraction of the rrp.

this book is my fav as it has coats and beautifull blankets and some nice stuff for little boys who sometimes get left out.

enjoy your debbie bliss and if you get stuck there is a website with all the mistakes ammended. you will need it at some stage of your debbie bliss adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 7 Jun 2010
L. Benn "Linda Benn" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
I was a bit frustrated that I'd to buy the whole book just to get the one pattern, but it turns out that I'd knit most of the book given the time. It's very easy to follow and there's good stitch guidelines at the front of the book. I really rate this book and recommend to any level of knitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 Dec 2009
A. Sverkou "Titi" (Greece) - See all my reviews
Great ideas for little people! Very nice colors, designs and a very understanding description... My mother in law has knitted 2 of them in just 3 days..

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Simply Baby: 20 Special Handknits for Baby's First Two Years
Simply Baby: 20 Special Handknits for Baby's First Two Years by Debbie Bliss (Paperback - 1 Sep 2006)