Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 28 September 2005
I'm all for a good chicklit book, but this one doesn't qualify. Oh don't get me wrong, its a quick read and there are a few laugh out loud moments, but overall the main characters are whiny and the story as it develops gets more and more depressing. As such, I can't recommend this book to anyone.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2005
This is probably one of the best books on relationships I have ever read. It is funny, honest (painfully at times) and moving. I loved it from the second I started reading it and found it difficult to put down. Both Liz and Nirpal are portrayed as warm, genuine people but like everyone else, with their faults, just trying to get through life.
I think everyone in a relationship will recognise parts of their own lives in this book but those in an age-difference relationship will find it particularly poignant. Liz describes perfectly some of the baffling behaviour of men but also allows us to see through Nirpal's reactions that women can be equally mystifying.
I was really sad to finish this book and I just wanted to read more about these two. Will just have to wait for the sequel now!
on 7 September 2009
i think liz jones is an excellent writer and i love all she writes about.
on 3 October 2007
This is actually quite a funny book and a very good read, which I hadn't expected because her columns annoy me so much (mostly due to her extreme neediness that keeps her with him.)

It's that same old story that women approaching their forties find it hard to find a nice man - where do they all disappear to?! But she does seems to have settled for the worst of the bunch. Surely she could have found someone a little better....?!

Although she does come across in the book as a bit insecure and somewhat of a control freak, he is clearly quite a repulsive and unpleasant individual who is happy to sponge off his wife. However, it's hard to have too much respect for her for staying with him all this time when he's clearly so awful.

It's sad to think that she hangs on to this man even now, but hopefully one day she'll see the light.

Anyway, it's worth reading and is perfect for the tube!
on 19 November 2013
Having been a fan of Liz Jones via the Sunday Mail I was looking forward to reading this book and was not disappointed -loved it from start to finish. Very girly, honest and provoking, she does not pull any punches, - a great Sunday afternoon read, and am looking forward to starting the Exmoor files.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 June 2006
Considering I picked this book up as a spare of the moment read whilst I was off work sick I am rareing to read more of this womans stuff!!! The book or should I say diary documents Liz's life through all of her ups and downs and I dare say there are more of the downs. The book had me enthralled from the first pages and I could not put it down having read it from cover to cover in only a matter of hours! I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good read to sink their teeth into as this lady and her charming cats are definately worth a few hours of your time!
on 12 July 2013
I am an avid fan of all things "Liz Jones" as I share her enduring love of animals,especially her "Fur Babies" ! I could not put it down,including her previous books,I look forward to any further publications from her.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2008
The characters featured are portrayed as ludicrous and theatrical, rather than sincere, autobiographical individuals. I suspect that, rather than being based on reality, this book is largely embellished. I found Liz's monotonous , tired, critical dialogue of her husband extremely off putting. All in all not worth it.
0Comment8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2006
This book might well be worth reading if only to remind yourself that no matter how badly things are going, you are not as sad and pathetic as these characters. There is no doubt that the author has quite bravely laid herself bare here and it certainly is truthful. But I was left wondering what the moral of the story was. Some suggestions are: "If you're getting close to 40, you may as well settle for anything" or "Its important to have rich/fabulous friends even if they do leave you with the minibar bill at your own wedding". Very depressing. Overall, not really worth the read.
0Comment13 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 August 2006
I spotted this book by chance and picked it up thinking it may be a good read. Well I was right,this book made me laugh out loud in places, which isnt so good when your on a packed train on your way to work! I read the whole thing in 2 days and now am waiting for next book. Well worth a read this.