4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing is ever black & white in love...
Liz and Nirpal seem like opposites. They are, in many ways, but the glue that keeps them together is that they need each other.

Published on 20 Jun 2006 by a reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing...
I'm all for a good chicklit book, but this one doesn't qualify. Oh don't get me wrong, its a quick read and there are a few laugh out loud moments, but overall the main characters are whiny and the story as it develops gets more and more depressing. As such, I can't recommend this book to anyone.
Published on 28 Sep 2005

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing is ever black & white in love..., 20 Jun 2006

Liz is a former anorexic fashionista who adores her cats. She's a vegetarian. Her anal-retentive tendencies (to which she fully admits) grate after a while, as do the obsessive details about beauty products used/ bedlinen bought etc. But it's essential to help you get a feel for her character. But contrary to how other readers have described her in other reviews, she doesn't come across as "mad". A bit eccentric, perhaps, but her kind heart and longing for love are every bit as normal and ordinary as those of any woman, and that's what so many people who read her column can relate to.

Moving on to The Husband, I had expected to resent Nirpal, based on an interview he did about being "the most hated guy in the UK" and on other stuff he's written (and also on comments about him on British Asian websites).

Instead, I found a very complex rendering of a very real man. He loves his wife, but feels trapped in marriage. He can be callous to her emotional needs (he seems to despise anything sentimental, having had a tough upbringing). But he's also gentle to her cats, inconsolable when his friend dies, etc.

They are both flawed people who, somehow, need each other. Their relationship seems like fiction, but the dynamics are so human.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book. And, at the risk of sounding like Jerry Springer's Final Word I wish both of them the best of luck in the choices they end up making.

4.0 out of 5 stars exasperating, fascinating and honest, 9 Jun 2006
sam155 (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I never thought that the intimate minutiae of someone else's relationship could be so addictively page turning. I received this from Amazon two days ago and cannot put it down. On some pages I am on her side- he is exasperating and thick skinned and seems to think marriage is simply an upgrade in accommodation. On the next page, I can see his point- she is uptight and obsessively tidy with the rigidity of rules and laws that are often unique to those who have been accustomed to their own space for many years. She brings the definition of high maintenance to its kness and invents new levels of it. She is frustrated when he fails to read her complex unspoken list of wants.

However, what is inescapably likeable about Liz Jones is that she is searingly honest and innately herself with every word- albeit it an occcasionally whiny, insecure self. She does not try to be anyone else and produces some artlessly laugh out loud dialogue. For all her experience and her media savvy career, there is a touching naivite about this woman who has only had four boyfriends in her life before her husband. Her gratitude is palpable.

Sometimes you feel like shouting at her but at the same time, you can't help liking a woman who treats her cats like royalty and isn't afraid to say that she cries or that she feels silly.

I highly recommend this as an intriguing read that feels like a long phone call with a friend, that will regularly change your opinions moment by moment.

I ended up liking both parties, and the four cats.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Bridget Jones, 17 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Liz Jones's Diary: How One Single Girl Got Married (Hardcover)
If you love Liz Jones's column that appears in YOU magazine with the Mail on Sunday, then you can't miss this book, which charts how journalist Liz Jones met her husband and the ups and downs of their married life. There are some great laugh out loud moments, but bearing in mind the characters are all real, sometimes it just seems very sad. Once you've finished the book, you'll feel like you know Liz, Nirpal (and the cats!) and care very much about what happens next...

4.0 out of 5 stars So Funny, 16 Nov 2007
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I don't really know how funny this book is meant to be. This is taken from the column that Jones' writes, chronicling her own life, and is intensely personal. The fact that she is so needy, so anal, and so enmeshed in a tragically horrible marriage is all kind of horrible, and yet, you find yourself laughing aloud a lot of the time, and I'm not really sure why. This is a bit like what would happen if Bridget Jones were real, and really did marry Mark Darcy, rather than the fairy tale ending the book allows her. This is a human soul laid bare, and it is both tragic and totally hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing and entertaining, 24 Jun 2006
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I first read Liz Jones in her Mail on Sunday newspaper column and the good news is that her book is just as witty and poignant as her journalism. Some people may be put off by her hedonistic attitude to life (I never know whether her penchance for organic rainwater is a joke or not) but anyone who is a fan of Carrie Bradshaw or Bridget Jones will find much to appreciate here. The difference is of course that Liz Jones is for real.

I particularly like her descriptions of her cats and her eye for detail. She's not afraid to mock either herself or her closest friends and I burst into laughter when reading about her husband's trainer collection and her obssession with respecting the "civil rights" of her cats.

But this diary is something of a rollercoaster ride of emotion too as Jones must decide whether she is willing to sacrifice her eccentric, single life for a chance of married bliss and faces the dilemma of whether she has left it too late to have children. Her vulnerability and perfect prose make this book something of a gem. It is summer reading to savour.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read!, 13 Oct 2005
Ms. N. M. Ridings "nicolamary" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
I follow Liz's column in the Mail on Sunday and was therefore looking forward to reading her book. I wasn't disappointed! Yes it's heartbreaking in places, yes you do want to bang their heads together and yes the author does 'have issues' but then who doesn't? In summary, it is a very frank, open and honest account of Liz's life........warts and all.
It made me laugh out loud on more than one occasion and not many books do. Definitely one that I will read again!

4.0 out of 5 stars One Star Missing, 21 Jan 2010
As a story, I was fascinated by it as one might be fascinated by a car crash. How Liz and Nirpal even stayed together for as long as they did is amazing. Most of the time I wanted to slap him, but some of the time I wondered why on earth she put up with it. The star I have deducted is for a reason that may seem petty, but it jarred me while I was reading it - the bad grammar. I lost count of the times she'd say she was "sat at the desk" or "stood at the window"; and basic errors like "my husband and me went on holiday". As a journalist, this woman should know better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 28 July 2009
Sarah. "Sarah." (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Liz Jones for a number of years now - this book is as good as I had hoped it would be. A great read - very moving and funny. Definately would recommend and can't wait for the new book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Depressing..., 28 Sep 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, moving and TRUE, 3 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This is probably one of the best books on relationships I have ever read. It is funny, honest (painfully at times) and moving. I loved it from the second I started reading it and found it difficult to put down. Both Liz and Nirpal are portrayed as warm, genuine people but like everyone else, with their faults, just trying to get through life.
I think everyone in a relationship will recognise parts of their own lives in this book but those in an age-difference relationship will find it particularly poignant. Liz describes perfectly some of the baffling behaviour of men but also allows us to see through Nirpal's reactions that women can be equally mystifying.
I was really sad to finish this book and I just wanted to read more about these two. Will just have to wait for the sequel now!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Liz Jones's Diary: How One Single Girl Got Married
Liz Jones's Diary: How One Single Girl Got Married by Liz Jones (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01