on 8 March 2010
I'm lucky enough to work near one of the Rasa restaurants so I can sample the food at lunch and the recipes in this book don't disappoint. The book contains lots of Keralan cuisine (so a bit different from your usual Indian recipes) that may be familiar to you or may not but is definitely worth eating. There's lots of vegetarian dishes but far from exclusively so and the spices tend to focus on cumin, turmeric, black mustard seeds, fenugreek and cinnamon with coconut making a big appearance too. If that sounds your thing then crack on.

** edit 5/11/2010 I originally gave this 5/5 and the above review. After cooking a few more dishes though I've found the liquid quantities on some to be way off, namely the tarka dal and onion pakora where I had to use around half the amount stated. As such I've knocked a star off, it's still a 4 star book for the diversity of recipe. Use a bit of common sense with the recipes and add liquid slowly, if after half the liquid is added it's already the right consistency then don't add the rest.
on 4 February 2009
I bought this book after visiting the author's excellent Rasa restaurant in North London. Although some of the recipes have long lists of ingredients, the mix of spices and the simple cooking methods give the food a more 'authentic' Indian character than just adding curry powder, so that the initial sourcing of ingredients is well worth the effort. There are excellent colour photos of the dishes which act as both an incentive to cook them and a reference as to their eventual appearance.
on 15 August 2010
While I mostly agree with the excellent reviews, I had one problem with this cook book. In several recipes I just found that the amounts of liquid do not match the amout of ingridients. E.g. SEafood Keralan soup for 4 people calls for 250ml of water plus 200ml of coconut milk - this is just 450 mls of liquid that will leave you with the prawns covered in a bit of sauce, very very far from a soupy consistence and very far from 4 portions of soup. On the contrary some currys call for up to 600 ml of water that left me with extremely soupy and tastelessly diluted consistence. Now I know that I need to be really careful when following instructions and always rely on my instincts rather than mililiters. And I really do not like this.
Well other option is just that I am doing something wrong, but while I am not experienced in cooking indian food, I am an overall good cook.
on 28 May 2013
As the title suggests, this is a great book with easy to follow recipes and easily source-able ingredients unlike a lot of other Asian recipes. However, like another reviewer has said, I've found the liquid quantities in most recipes to be far too high, I only use a third of the amount of liquid the recipes state, and this creates a nice tasty dish!
on 21 September 2007
This book is really for those who want to try out some of the best Indian dishes from the state of Kerala. The layout is very easy even for the beginner in cooking, and photographs provided give you a good idea of the end product without any fuss.

If you love Indian food, then this is a must for your cookbook collection! Buy it now!
on 8 February 2013
Some really good ideas here for straightorward recipes. A lot of variety and a lot of vegetarian recipes. Friends most impressed
on 26 December 2013
Easy to follow and great food. Getting hold of curry leaves a minor problem but easily solved. Rasa is an excellent restaurant chain and this book offers a new dimension to Indian food, focussing on the south rather than the more omnipresent north fare which most restaurants serve up.
on 3 March 2016
Fantastic book with authentic south Indian dishes
Buying yet another copy to give as a gift, our original one is used regularly
on 20 July 2014
This is a great authentic curry book - delicious