5.0 out of 5 stars Quality food
This book sets out a lot of well known dishes but the recipes are spot on. There's still a large portion of the world that spits on British food but that is just nonsense. I've tried at least 20 recipes from here and they've all come up trumps. They are pretty easy to follow too.
Published on 3 Feb 2008 by Damo

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
The title attracted me to this cook book, but it did not contain the type of recipes I was looking for. Not the fault of the seller.
Published on 12 Sep 2010 by mei

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality food, 3 Feb 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding British Food, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: British Food (Paperback)
What a tough time of it british food gets.
However in the hands of a master craftsman with everything brought up to date and looking contemporary this book is truly excellent value for money,
As mentioned the recipes really work and as a point of reference for British food its a very good place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars British food cookbook, 21 April 2012
R. Edwards (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Food (Paperback)
Good priced recipe book for all our favourite British recipes. Easy to follow and great value. It also remind us of food that is not eaten too often these days and these recipes should be tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice bite, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: British Food (Paperback)
Brilliant book with nice references and all the recepies i have looking for sometime.
If you love british food just buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of British Food, 17 Mar 2008
S. Kendon "Samuel Whiskers" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: British Food (Paperback)
My friend Mike Walter reckons this is the only cook book he will have in his kitchen (even if he claims Mr Hix is not quite spot on with his Yorkshire pud; well I wouldn't know).
Still, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
And even if there's a bit too much salad and gooseberries for my taste , there's more than enough to remind you that there is decent food outside Bangladesh.

Mmmm. wash it down with a nice warm flat beer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A taste of good food, 5 Mar 2006
This review is from: British Food (Paperback)
It’s March 2006 and we have worn our daffodils here is Wales for St David’s day on the 1st. On the 17th it will be the turn of the Irish and St Patrick’s day will be here with its vibrant celebrations in pubs up and down the UK. Shamrocks will be out and the Guinness will flow. Here in my home we will be eating Boiled Bacon with white cabbage and steamed potatoes. Due to my families very mixed British heritage we are a lively mix of Welsh, Irish and Scots, so Haggis neaps and tatties, Faggots and peas are regular features on our dinning table along with the wonderful Champ in summer.
February 28th this year was Shrove Tuesday and Pancakes were the order of the day. I bought the maple syrup and this is where I started to think how food in Britain has evolved over the last forty years. Here in Wales as a child Pancakes were not served with maple syrup but lemon and sugar. I was twenty-one before I discovered putting dried currants in the soft batter in the pan at the start of cooking is a very typically Welsh and Scottish way of making pancakes. In London when I made a batch of Pancakes I was not prepared for the commotion a few dark speckles of dried fruit would make to my party guests one Shrove Tuesday.
These days Tandori Chicken and Duck in Hoi sin sauce are as much a part of mealtime as sun dried tomatoes and a stir of Pesto in boiled pasta. This diversity at mealtime is the result of two major things. The first is the migration to Britain of so many people from around the globe; the second is the advent of supermarkets making ingredients from round the world so easy to buy. My father was a merchant sailor so introduced my mother to Indian and Chinese food before I was born. Ethnic diversity of food has always been most welcome when it comes to mealtime in our home; especially if someone else was cooking as my mother just had no interest in cooking at all.
Here in Britain we have not always had so widely available access to cooking ingredients. Food used to be cooked in the season it was available fresh from the gardens and farms where it was grown. Most homes here in Wales espied to own a pig to make the year a little easier on the family. The pig used to eat all the kitchen waste that we now use on our compost piles and then provide wonderful manure for growing fantastic organic vegetables the rest of the year.
So my question is this. What do you think traditional British Food would be like if we removed all the pasta, pizza and curry from our cupboards?
If you are looking at rather emptier store cupboards in your mind's eye and wondering what you are going to feed the family? May I recommend a book called British Food by Mark Hix? Here is a book that brings together a whole host of typically British food. Mark Hix has put together 120 recipes that show how easy and tasty British food can be. Among the selection in the book are snacks, soups, meat and fish dishes as well as traditional puddings. Each recipe has a colour photograph to entice your taste buds.
The book starts off with an introduction and guide to ingredients that is typically British in origin. The seasonal availability of ingredients is covered and a list of game birds in date order ends this introduction.
So far I have made Pan Haggerty, Drop scones, Scotch broth and Spotted dick. The next thing to make on my list is Cornish pasties. Each recipe is simply laid out and easy to follow. This book is quickly becoming a firm favourite in my home. So the next time you stand in front of the kitchen cupboards and ask yourself what to cook for tea or dinner, may I suggest you cook something British and in season.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 12 Sep 2010

British Food
British Food by Mark Hix (Paperback - 2 Sep 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01