Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 July 2008
Newburn's `Criminology' is the last word in criminology textbooks. Enjoyable to read, comprehensive and authoritative, Newburn's `Criminology' is a real subject `bible'. Newburn's highly accessible style means that complex information is explained clearly without losing depth. The plentiful, varied and original illustrations help to bring concepts, writers and the subject as a whole to life. An excellent resource throughout a criminology degree, Newburn's `Criminology' represents absolute value for money and I highly recommend it to all criminology students.

Dr Kate Williams, Senior Lecturer in Criminology, University of Wolverhampton
on 11 November 2008
For someone who had not studied for many years Tim Newburn's books were an amazing find. I am still hooked on buying his books despite the fact I have already graduated. His easy style of writing made study something to look forward to. Many thanks Tim.
on 31 December 2007
Tim Newburn's volumous yet lively `Criminology' (2007) serves as an excellent introduction to all current themes in criminology. Chapter 1 `understanding crime and criminology' serves as a comprehensive introduction to criminology for students who are either new to the subject or need a quick revision guide to criminology. The textbook covers all popular areas found in criminology and criminal justice, illustrated by graphics, photographs and newspaper extracts. I have certainly recommended it to all my criminology students at all levels of study at Thames Valley University. Ursula Smartt, Senior Lecturer at Law and Criminology.
on 16 December 2008
I became aware of Professor Newburn's new work on both theoretical and applied criminology from BTEC. This book is well suited for the beginner, the professional training to become involved in any or all aspects of the criminal justice process, and the interested learner whose career may overlap with the role of the criminologist in the public services.

When I started teaching Criminology for the law undergraduate some 20 years ago, the basis of theoretical criminology had remained relatively static although some exciting new studies had appeared linking research from the Chicago School and anomie with the overtly political New Criminology and expanding feminist/gender issues. Mixing these strands of radical and realist theories with the complete confusion of current applied criminology measures and the failures of the legal framework of modern law enforcement is a monumental modern task and Newburn excels with his objective in this modern work presented with thought and just the right amount of detail.

The use of additional website support for both learners and tutors is another plus factor. I was unsure of how well the illustrations would fit in here as I have written a number of different versions of the basic content of this book for other organisations at both GCE and undergraduate level and found merging the dry written word with charts, tables and photographs actually does help when presenting the subject to learners where I use differentiation practice

My most recent teaching assignment required the teaching of part of this subject for BTEC Public Services courses and from reflective practice, I do recommend this book as a great primer for those who need a framework of criminology for their public service careers. It blends the wholly academic elements with the vocational aspects of BTEC highly effectively and gets the balance right for the range of learners we have.

The contents cover 36 headings in six parts. Like the views of my colleagues teaching this subject, there are always going to be problems with keeping this work up to date for Parts 4, 5 and 6. Reforming criminal justice, its current critical issues, and researching criminology which I am currently reading for post graduate studies is tackled well, and I would envisage web involvement being much more important as this work goes into another edition.

Clearly, Newburn's broad approach is to be welcomed because it is accessible and authoritative being lively at all times with an intellectual sparkle which gives the reader encouragement to explore controversial issues: all the more controversial as `law'n'order' remains at the top of the political agenda with the economy, presumably remaining so for some time to come.

Tim Newburn's experience shines through brilliantly here, and I know my colleagues who teach this subject welcome his approach as being at the top of the tree for either BTEC or the more formal academic qualifications and it is the best book of its type for us at the moment, linking the more established teaching with innovation at a time of turbulence in the Home Office- extracts are great for PowerPoint, too, even though PPPs are not everybody's ideal for teaching, but it works with Newburn's approach.

So thank you, Willan Publishing, for this contribution to the teaching of criminology today.
on 21 January 2009
I have to say that I have had this book or less than a month and I have already read many of the chapters, this only the second book I have awarded 5 stars for. It is VERY well written, well laid out (in columns) has several pictures in each chapter and a very useful chapter review at the end of each section that includes - review questions, questions for further discussions, further reading and recommended websites to visit.

I am using this book as my main textbook for my criminology degree, I have not found much other need to use another book however I have done for gaining some specific information for my assessments. The index section at the back of the book covers pretty much every subject area you would need to research further at undergraduate level.

Each chapter covers a huge area of information, for example chapter 6 covers biological positivism, the chapter begins with an introduction and then several topics in this specific area, under each topic are descriptive sub-topics which are extremely detailed and allow the reader to link the sub-topic to other areas of study.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in this field, I really doubt you will be disappointed, my only downfall with the book is that the cover is very thin and there are so many pages bound into a small area that I'm not sure how long it is going to stay together. However if it does break I would consider purchasing the same item again.
on 21 April 2010
I am currently studying criminology and this book is a must for any student. It is written in a way that allows anyone with absolutely no knowledge of the subject to comprehend and covers every area of my course. It is excellent value for money and I could not find it cheaper elsewhere.
on 14 August 2011
This textbook is very comprehensive and deals with the broad variety of topics that contemporary criminology is dealing with: from the early days of Beccaria's classicism and the aetiology of crime from different (neo) positive perspectives, to critical criminology and to the study of specific topics like corporate crime, white collar crime, violence,.... I find this textbook very suitable for undergraduate students that take initial courses in criminology and criminal justice. You get a nice overview of key authors and publications. Also the social and political context in which the theoretical perspecives developed, is clearly mentioned. The examples are chosen in a tangible way. It is written in a way that appeals to young people and I find the many illustrations and examples very useful to capture today's students attention. As this textbook also deals with issues of crime and punishment and other different topics, it may also be used in advanced courses. Above that, this book is valuable for students that are preparing their master thesis as many references for further reading are provided and many key authors are discussed.

I strongly recommand this book to lectures that like an overview of an interesting and continuously growing field like criminology.

Professor Lieven Pauwels
Professor of Criminology at Ghent University (Belgium)
on 19 June 2008
Another excellent publication by Willan. Tim Newburn has provided a most informative interesting book on 'Criminology'. Fantastic 'bibliography' together with a useful index to the one thousand pages.

Essential reading for criminolgy students and of interest to members of the criminal justice system.

A useful guide for my bookshelf to assist me in my research.

Ken Rogers MA (Criminology) FIISec. Editorial Board member and author 'Professional Security' 'Protecting Citizens Worldwide' (PCW)
on 29 June 2008
'Criminology' is written in a gentle and generous style. It takes the novice student of criminology and leads them through what can appear a somewhat intimidating discipline with its diverse roots in social policy, law, sociology and psychology. It's clear that Newburn is delighted in his subject matter and makes every effort to educate but also challenge the reader. This work will only add to the teaching and learning of criminology. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 7 December 2007
This book is the best book i have ever bought and it will remain on my bookshelf forever. This is the most accessible and up to date book there is about criminology for those students who have just begun their studies. Newburn covers pretty much every topic there is surrounding criminology but he makes it simple to read. Therefore, it is a great book to look at when you are beginning your essay research as it explains each topic very well, giving you good foundations to build on, but he also includes other academics work to give you clues as to who's work you should look at next.
At my university this book was the most bought book in Waterstone's this term.
Anyone considering buying this book should not dither but just go for it because i promise it will not disappoint or seem like a waste of money.