‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Word in Criminology Textbooks, 2 July 2008
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
Newburn's `Criminology' is the last word in criminology textbooks. Enjoyable to read, comprehensive and authoritative, Newburn's `Criminology' is a real subject `bible'. Newburn's highly accessible style means that complex information is explained clearly without losing depth. The plentiful, varied and original illustrations help to bring concepts, writers and the subject as a whole to life. An excellent resource throughout a criminology degree, Newburn's `Criminology' represents absolute value for money and I highly recommend it to all criminology students.

Dr Kate Williams, Senior Lecturer in Criminology, University of Wolverhampton

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, Informative and easy to read, 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
For someone who had not studied for many years Tim Newburn's books were an amazing find. I am still hooked on buying his books despite the fact I have already graduated. His easy style of writing made study something to look forward to. Many thanks Tim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for teachers and students of criminology, 31 Dec 2007
U. Smartt "Ursula Smartt" (South England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
Tim Newburn's volumous yet lively `Criminology' (2007) serves as an excellent introduction to all current themes in criminology. Chapter 1 `understanding crime and criminology' serves as a comprehensive introduction to criminology for students who are either new to the subject or need a quick revision guide to criminology. The textbook covers all popular areas found in criminology and criminal justice, illustrated by graphics, photographs and newspaper extracts. I have certainly recommended it to all my criminology students at all levels of study at Thames Valley University. Ursula Smartt, Senior Lecturer at Law and Criminology.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for students, 21 April 2010
J. Goodliff (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
I am currently studying criminology and this book is a must for any student. It is written in a way that allows anyone with absolutely no knowledge of the subject to comprehend and covers every area of my course. It is excellent value for money and I could not find it cheaper elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE CRIMINOLOGY PRIMER FOR LAW PROFESSIONALS, TUTORS & LEARNERS, 16 Dec 2008
Phillip Taylor (Richmond Upon Thames, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
I became aware of Professor Newburn's new work on both theoretical and applied criminology from BTEC. This book is well suited for the beginner, the professional training to become involved in any or all aspects of the criminal justice process, and the interested learner whose career may overlap with the role of the criminologist in the public services.

When I started teaching Criminology for the law undergraduate some 20 years ago, the basis of theoretical criminology had remained relatively static although some exciting new studies had appeared linking research from the Chicago School and anomie with the overtly political New Criminology and expanding feminist/gender issues. Mixing these strands of radical and realist theories with the complete confusion of current applied criminology measures and the failures of the legal framework of modern law enforcement is a monumental modern task and Newburn excels with his objective in this modern work presented with thought and just the right amount of detail.

The use of additional website support for both learners and tutors is another plus factor. I was unsure of how well the illustrations would fit in here as I have written a number of different versions of the basic content of this book for other organisations at both GCE and undergraduate level and found merging the dry written word with charts, tables and photographs actually does help when presenting the subject to learners where I use differentiation practice

My most recent teaching assignment required the teaching of part of this subject for BTEC Public Services courses and from reflective practice, I do recommend this book as a great primer for those who need a framework of criminology for their public service careers. It blends the wholly academic elements with the vocational aspects of BTEC highly effectively and gets the balance right for the range of learners we have.

The contents cover 36 headings in six parts. Like the views of my colleagues teaching this subject, there are always going to be problems with keeping this work up to date for Parts 4, 5 and 6. Reforming criminal justice, its current critical issues, and researching criminology which I am currently reading for post graduate studies is tackled well, and I would envisage web involvement being much more important as this work goes into another edition.

Clearly, Newburn's broad approach is to be welcomed because it is accessible and authoritative being lively at all times with an intellectual sparkle which gives the reader encouragement to explore controversial issues: all the more controversial as `law'n'order' remains at the top of the political agenda with the economy, presumably remaining so for some time to come.

Tim Newburn's experience shines through brilliantly here, and I know my colleagues who teach this subject welcome his approach as being at the top of the tree for either BTEC or the more formal academic qualifications and it is the best book of its type for us at the moment, linking the more established teaching with innovation at a time of turbulence in the Home Office- extracts are great for PowerPoint, too, even though PPPs are not everybody's ideal for teaching, but it works with Newburn's approach.

So thank you, Willan Publishing, for this contribution to the teaching of criminology today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for daughter at Uni, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
My daughter has been using this book at Uni, so get her her own copy and she reports its been invaluable.and full of important info and referances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Criminology book thats Fab!, 8 Aug 2010
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
Just completed an Introduction to Criminology with Teeside University and this was a must read on the books we could look at. I'm looking forward to reading the whole book (might take some time as it has over 1000 pages) it is very clear and concise and covers a wide range of Criminology aspects and I would recomend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
This is just what i needed and it is very useful. Came just as described. Would use again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 23 April 2009
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
this textbook has everything you need to study criminology. the chapters include history of the police, statistics, sociology, criminal justice. it is well written so very easy to understand, and is a good starting point for most research invlolved in criminology. highly recommended!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST have text for anyone studying or covering the area of criminology in their work, 21 Jan 2009
This review is from: Criminology (Paperback)
I have to say that I have had this book or less than a month and I have already read many of the chapters, this only the second book I have awarded 5 stars for. It is VERY well written, well laid out (in columns) has several pictures in each chapter and a very useful chapter review at the end of each section that includes - review questions, questions for further discussions, further reading and recommended websites to visit.

I am using this book as my main textbook for my criminology degree, I have not found much other need to use another book however I have done for gaining some specific information for my assessments. The index section at the back of the book covers pretty much every subject area you would need to research further at undergraduate level.

Each chapter covers a huge area of information, for example chapter 6 covers biological positivism, the chapter begins with an introduction and then several topics in this specific area, under each topic are descriptive sub-topics which are extremely detailed and allow the reader to link the sub-topic to other areas of study.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in this field, I really doubt you will be disappointed, my only downfall with the book is that the cover is very thin and there are so many pages bound into a small area that I'm not sure how long it is going to stay together. However if it does break I would consider purchasing the same item again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Criminology
Criminology by Tim Newburn (Paperback - 1 Aug 2007)
40.09
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available