7,015 Reviews
 (4,440)
 (1,507)

4.0 out of 5 stars This old man has all his marbles...
I was completely blown away by this book. It brought to mind the early Tom Sharpe novels; irresistibly my mind kept floating away to a landscape peopled by eccentric old men, inefficient criminals, Peter Sellers in Pink Panther, all the caricatures of television farce.

I won't detail the plot, you can see that from the other reviews, and by reading the blurb,...
Published 20 months ago by Bizgen

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for a while then faded
There is a lot of hype about this book and the reviews on here are totally enthusiastic which kind of convinced me to give it a go. I certainly enjoyed parts of the book - more particularly the earlier sections. There are some amusing and clever twists to the tale - but they become increasingly far-fetched and somewhat repetitive. It reminded me somewhat of William...
Published 19 months ago by Self-help junkie

‹ Previous | 1633 634 635702 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars simplistic but entertaining, 8 Nov 2012
I thought this book was written in quite a simplistic, childlike way. The story and characters are all quite unbelievable with so many ridiculous coincidences and circumstances. It runs through history in a Forrest Gump kind of way with the main character influencing so many major historical events almost by accident. Yet, it does draw you in and you are intrigued enough to keep reading. It is frivolous and entertaining but certainly not life changing or a great piece of literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Read, 8 Nov 2012
The title grabbed my attention as did the first few pages. Hugely entertaining and enjoyable easy reading. The story flows along and all the characters are brilliantly portrayed and everyone gets their just desserts. Great fun and I can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100yearolds, 8 Nov 2012
The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared was a wonderful romp through 100 years of History with a very funny twist. It was like watching Shrek and counting the movies alluded to. The book was well written, well researched, a very easy and comfortable read. It never ceased to amuse me and was certainly never predictable. It's totally off the wall and would never happen but it so very nearly could have!.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant surprise, 8 Nov 2012
This book was recommended by a friend who said it had been one of the most entertaining novels she had read in years. I fully agree as it had the same effect on me - namely causing me to find myself laughing aloud when coming across the bizarre situations that occur from time to time. A really good read to accompany my coffee breaks + kindle. I have had to change up my medium Americano to the large mug drunk slowly but carefully in case of an outbreak of uncontrollable laughter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Allanfan!, 8 Nov 2012
A joy from the very first page and just kept going! A terrific way to be reminded of the politics of the 20th century and to never forget - old people are the sum of all their parts and worth checking out!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, 8 Nov 2012
It was the crazy title that attracted me to this book. Being a more mature person myself I like the idea of a very old person doing something unconventional which is bound to shock! At the beginning the book made me chuckle but it got more and more outrageous turning into some kind of summary of world history and that's where it lost me a bit. This would make a really good film. (A bit of escapism to read on your Kindle whilst commuting to work!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it and enjoy, 8 Nov 2012
C. Davis (uk) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed very much - funny in places and interesting history lessons in others. I just wish my life was that interesting/eventful!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed out loud, 8 Nov 2012
I know one shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but to be honest, I bought this because the cover looked interesting... and I'm not sorry. Great story, will make you laugh and should be made into a film. I read it in two days and have recommended is to many of my friends. I have now passed the book on but got the Kindle version for future re-read. A thoroughly great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Nov 2012
A fantastic, fast paced novel with humour, thoughtful but not sentimental, a joy to read. Really makes he reader remember that 100 year olds have not always been 100 years old! Thoroughly recommended,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 6 Nov 2012
Really interesting story line; a good read with a mix of light hearted and serious elements. I would recommend to everyone :)

‹ Previous | 1633 634 635702 | Next ›