5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for the idle
I was born with a debilhitating disease. That of idleness, which, until recently, was a character trait I despised in myself. Thankfully I fell into a phase, much ongoing, of reading 19th century literature, and that is how I came across Jerome K Jerome and his wonderful book of idle thoughts.
It is very much different from any other book I have ever read, sometimes...
Published on 21 Jan 2006 by Mr J D Irwin

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
Good but not as good as Three Men in a Boat or Three Men on a Bummel. These last two are very funny.
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A bible for the idle, 21 Jan 2006
It is very much different from any other book I have ever read, sometimes when you read a book you may feel as though your there, but with this Idle thoughts... you get the feeling Jerome is there with you, idling away the hours, discussing various points, still very much relevant today, such as tips on what to do if you find you have to pawn your watch.
It is amazing how many things I agreed with with Jerome, written over 10 decades before I was born. It was so good the very same day I bought the second installment.
Idle thoughts is a dangerous book, it will encourage you to utterly embrace idleness......

5.0 out of 5 stars IDLE YOUR TIME AWAY IN FINE STYLE, 7 Dec 2007
M. Drake - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (Hesperus Classics) (Paperback)
This little comic gem from the 1800`s thoroughly deserves a new edition - many comic observations such a those on babies and their parents could have been written yesterday - except the writing is of much finer quality than one would expect today!

Mick Drake author of the comic novel All`s Well at Wellwithoute.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Victorian Eddie Izzard, 31 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book after reading the first one in the series, Virginia Woolf's The London Scene, and also after I enjoyed the revelatory, mind-altering "How to be Idle", and I wasn't disappointed. I'll be buying several more copies for Christmas presents as it's the best, most beautifully presented book I've read in ages. It was first published over 100 years ago, yet still manages to be current, touching and funny. Jerome K Jerome says in the Prologue "if you get tired of reading the best 100 books, pick up this for half an hour. It will be a change", which I thought was remarkable foresight: as it happens, Jerome's best known masterpiece, Three Men in a Boat, came in at number 101 in the BBC Big Read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this, 18 Jan 2011
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is a series of essays on various topics; Jerome is pontificating on subjects such as Love, Vanity, the Weather, the Raising of Babies, Dress and Memory. I particularly liked the piece on cats and dogs; very familiar to anyone that has had one of these pets. His comments on being hard up also stuck a bell, as I have also been in that unfortunate state.

Jerome has a wonderful way with language. Even though the book was written a century ago, the the text flows nicely and can be read very easily. He makes the comment "this book wouldn't elevate a cow" meaning that there is nothing in it to educate someone. I could not disagree more; the book has much to commend it to people of all ages, and if nothing else will provide a useful example of how to use the written word to communicate ideas effectively.

I had the kindle edition; my only complaint is that the transcriber has changed English spellings to American spellings. However, this is a minor consideration these days; and as the book was free, I suppose that I shouldn't be too much of a misery!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and very well written, 2 Oct 2010
The title suggests fun silly antics when really you discover great humour and wit. The anecdotes and life teachings are humourous and very well written. The idle man is definately educated and a master of all lifes lessons. A great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Classic, 29 May 2010
I read this as a kid and suddenly got the urge to read it again. Jerome K Jerome's humour and manipulation of the English language is incredible and the way the book drifts from one topic to another while still maintaining the basic theme of each chapter provides a very enjoyable read.

Although this book is freely available in electronic format (public domain) there is something nice about actually having a real paper copy for this kind of literature and this is a well produced and reasonably priced version of a timeless classic with very prompt delivery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 4 Jan 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get into this book, 22 April 2013
Janet (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
Famous author, not a riveting book. I couldn't get into this book so didn't finish it. I found it boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars !, 12 April 2013
Who wouldn't be delighted to find the public domain list of FREE classic literature. This is fantastic. All the titles I've always wanted to read and for free - this is my kind of kindle heaven. I love the way they arrive on your kindle, they're so quick, it's like magic. Thank you public domain!

3.0 out of 5 stars Idle thoughts, 24 Feb 2013
Disappointing, after reading Three Men in a Boat. Amusing in places, but equally boring at times. Was inclined to give up half way through.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (Hesperus Classics)
The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow (Hesperus Classics) by Jerome Jerome (Paperback - 18 Oct 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01