5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable account of the professional chamber music life, 4 Aug 2004
Greifenklau (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Susan Tomes and her trio's prize-winning recordings for several years, and when Gramophone magazine had a laudatory review of her new book, "Beyond the Notes", it was irresistible. So I bought it, and devoured it ravenously over the course of 3 days. I don't think that the review did the book justice: I think that it's one of the most remarkable books on music that I have ever read. It has so much: musical insights and useful points for the non-professional player, humor, colorful descriptions of personalities, insights about teaching, learning a piece, rehearsing, the nature of audiences, extramusical considerations in performance, etc. I marked dozens of places in the book, and listed the pages with the marks so I can return to them often. Over and above all this, the book conveys the passion for excellence and the love of music that sustained the author and her partners in the most difficult times. Splendid and riveting. A must read for music-lovers and players.

5.0 out of 5 stars great writing, 7 Aug 2011
This review is from: Beyond the Notes: Journeys with Chamber Music (Paperback)
Susan Tomes writes very well.
It is fascinating to find a musician willing to share so much with her public.
I particularly enjoyed the chapters about her teachers.
This would make a great gift for anyone who is learning to perform music before an audience, or for a chamber-music-lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable account of the professional chamber music life, 3 Aug 2004
Greifenklau (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond the notes. Journeys with Chamber Music, 31 May 2011
Mary Fortune (BECKENHAM, Kent, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyond the Notes: Journeys with Chamber Music (Paperback)
Part autobiogaphical but containing excellent ,perceptive comments on the qualities of chamber music and the difficulties in preparing performance. As a pianist in chamber music, I empathised with her. The later chapters on various aspects of performance were particularly interesting.

Beyond the Notes: Journeys with Chamber Music
Beyond the Notes: Journeys with Chamber Music by Susan Tomes (Paperback - 20 Dec 2007)