5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, interesting and entertaining
Does what it says on the tin:

Published on 8 Oct 2006 by mohan

3.0 out of 5 stars Really intereenjoyed this
This is a simple and easy to follow story. Really enjoyable for relaxing and learning a little about classical music for novices like me.
Published 16 months ago by Miss Anna Boutflour

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, interesting and entertaining, 8 Oct 2006
Does what it says on the tin:

"The lives and music of the great composers of classical music unfold in this entertaining account, introducd by singer and presenter Aled Jones. In 1200 years, classical music grew from the chanting of medieval monks through symphonies of Beethoven and the grand operas of Wagner to the huge orchestral sound-world of the 21st century with its electronics and its film music. In his easy going style, Aled Jones paints vivid portraits of over 80 composers, each one illustrated with some of his, or her, most famous music.

This all-encompassing introduction to classical music also includes a wealth of biographical and instrumental information on the CD-ROM element: put CD 4 into the computer and up will come pictures, articles, sheet music, quizzes and more, which will inform and fascinate the whole family."

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro to classical music for children (and adults), 11 Oct 2008
Steve P (south east England) - See all my reviews
Great intro to classical music, aimed at kids, but not overly child like to drive an adult listening alone to cringe. Lots of inserts of brief bits of music, most of which I had heard before, even though I am a classical music novice. I got into this item from listening to Famous Composers, and More Famous composers by Naxos. There is some overlap in the stories, but this item gives a far broader and deeper overview. The version I got was read by the American Marin Alsop.
Thoroughly enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! what a fantastic CD, 16 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Story Of Classical Music (Unabridged Non-Fiction) (Naxos Junior Classics) (Audio CD)
Just finished listening to this and felt I had to write a review because I found it absolutely wonderful. It highlights so many famous classical works and provides a great catalyst for further exploration, together with providing historical information on both the composers and their time. Although I love Classical music and history, whatever your age I don't think you need to be a great fan of either to appreciate this, plus during the final CD it brings you right up to date which my children particularly enjoyed. Can't remember what the other reviewers have said so far so don't want to repeat anything. To summarise, this CD has educated, entertained and enriched our family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction for children and adults, 22 Sep 2012
I bought this for my 12 year old son as a general background intro to classical music. He has enjoyed and I have too, I find it entertaining yet informative, with plenty of snippets of music to illustrate the points made. Aled Jones (who I am not a particular fan of) manages to narrate in a consistently pleasant and relaxed manner with none of the irritating mannerisms which often mar audio books. It has opened my eyes to composers I didn't know or thought were 'not for me' and I've gone on to explore more of their music. An absolute bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining & Educational for both Children & Adults!, 19 Dec 2012
Brawny Withed (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this Audiobook and can't recommend this product highly enough. I bought this as a companion piece to the excellent Classical Music For Dummies book.

The great thing about the book is it keeps the subject of Classical Music simple and introduces you to the key composers and background of the music and it's composition and contains excerpts of the music being discussed.

I bought this book because I wanted to acquaint myself more with Classical music and knew practically nothing about it, only vague memories from Primary School and this book really does the job as a unpatronizing intoroduction to this genre of music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - entertaining for all the family, 12 Nov 2011
Purchased for long car journeys and really engaging - being enjoyed by us all. A bit of repeat in terms of 'Famous Composers' down to exact phrases - but overall a good buy and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Classical Music Unabridged Non-Fiction Naxos Junior Classics, 26 Oct 2011
This Audio account of the story of classical music is fun to listen to. The account is clear and uses useful historical events and as such is cross curricular. The adults in my house are enjoying it as much as the children are.
I am a mother with three boys all learning to play two instruments each, classical and jazz.

I highly recommend it to any parent who wants to awaken the interest of the history of classical music to reluctant young audiences. It is well presented with fun extracts as examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and enjoyable, 18 Feb 2014
I home school my little boy ( 9 years) and we are thoroughly enjoying listening to this as part of our 'school' music lessons. Although the musical exerpts are fairly short we often go on to listen to the whole piece inbetween times and it is a great way for him to discover new pieces or styles of music that he likes.

4.0 out of 5 stars good historical record, 28 Aug 2014
C. Hayden (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
fun, educational, not patronising; some of the pieces of music could have been longer rather than just illustrations but it would have been an even bigger compendium....

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Oct 2014
Arrived promptly and as described.

The Story Of Classical Music (Unabridged Non-Fiction) (Naxos Junior Classics)