on 4 October 2010
I had a copy of this book as a child and can vividly remember my Mum reading me the silly stories and showing me the beautiful illustrations. When I found I was expecting my first child, I began a search for it as I wanted my own children to enjoy Terry Jones' surreal sense of humour and Michael Foreman's haunting illustrations.

Unsurprisingly, Terry Jones' style is a real departure from the usual cliché fairy tale, with inventive and unusual characters such as 'Princess Fishy' and the 'Fly-by-night'. Although most of the stories have a moral at the centre it is neither preachy nor judgemental. I now read these stories to my new-born, who I'm sure will grow up to love them just as much as I did.

This hard back edition which combines Jones' Fairy Tales and Fantastic Stories is excellent value and worth every penny.
on 6 March 1999
Terry Jones and Michael Foreman know how to write a fairy tale book. Marvellous stories and beautiful drawings. A must for the children's room
on 3 August 2009
I have enjoyed these stories, and so have the many, many classes of primary school children I have read them to over the last dozen or so years.
Many have messages about life that we could all learn from, and all are entertaining and can fill a whole lesson or be squeezed into 10-15 minute slots.
Beautiful illustrations too.
on 28 November 2013
we used to read these stories to our children and grandchildren, and they were always a favoutire. Now I have purchased this book in preparation to read to our Great Granddaughter.
on 11 January 2010
a brilliant book that i had as a child..had great fun sharing these stories again with my children.
on 31 March 2014
Bought it for my little boy as an alternative take on fairy tales for bedtime reading. Still has some of the darker undertones of classic fairytales/Grimms tales, but with a lighter and more whimsical touch so doesn't have quite the potential to give them bad dreams! Fun stories and very readable by 6-7 years upwards.
on 7 September 2015
We read a story each night to our six year old,he loves it.The storys are well written and with beautiful illustrations.