Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2006
The bath, in the life of a very young child, is a special place and bathtime an opportunity for exploration, discovery, recklessness and bouts of laughter. The repeated experience is hugely significant in the child's development but, it seems, taken for granted, certainly in literary terms - until now. Julia Jarman captures all its delights in her wonderful book. And she accomplishes this with such exuberance and sensitivity to what will enchant AND amuse a child that it is little wonder that the story is valued by children, parents and teachers.

This is a big, bright book with colourful illustration, rich in fascinating detail but clear and instant in its appeal. Left to themselves little ones pour over the pictures but soon, and yet again, they want the story.

The vocabulary, often onomatopoeic, is always appropriate and the bouncing rhythm and clever rhyming verse hold the children in thrall. Each page increases the excitement and then there's the sigh of satisfaction at the end, followed by 'Again'. I know. I've read the book countless times.

As an ex-teacher I could 'bang on' about its other virtues: promotion and reinforcement of language development and pre-reading skills, the stimulation of the pleasures to be found in books. This will reassure those parents anxious about the right sort of material for their children.

I prefer to stress the real strength of this book. It offers a happy - in fact I would go so far as to say a truly joyful - shared reading experience. My seven grandchildren and their parents enjoy it enormously and it's given me some precious times too.
on 9 December 2005
This book is perfect for reading aloud, which is one reason I like it so much. My grandchildren adore it, and I like to think that it's not only the lovely text and the brightly-coloured pictures that are so delightful, but also my action-packed rendering of the poem.For this book is a poem: a swinging-along, join-in-the-chorus type of poem and it always goes down a treat. The subject matter (a bathtime in which everyone joins in) segues from the ordinary to the faintly mad to the totally fantastical and then comes home again to normality. Just the thing for Christmas, if you like cuddling up in a big armchair and letting rip.
on 20 November 2004
This is a brilliant book for young children to read or have read to them. It was voted a 'big success' by my class of Year 4 children [8 & 9 year olds] when we reviewed it. Imaginative ideas, rhyming words and phrases, fabulous illustrations and a great sense of fun make this book an excellent one to have on your child's shelf.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 12 October 2015
Ben and Bella are enjoying their bubble bath... but some other friends want to join in too. One at a time, the group gets larger and LARGER... and eventually the story just takes off completely in a flight of imagination, reminding me of Jill Murphy's Whatever Next?

The rhymes are lovely to read aloud, and my son caught on the refrains quickly and joined in. We both enjoyed seeing the large animals jumping in and splashing around. I thought the 'bringing the story back to earth' ending was perfect too.

Reynold's Harry-and-the-Dinosaurs style illustrations are great - it's good to see children in the bath not shied away from (they are naked but not in any sense that would be offensive or problematic).

What a great bedtime read (post-bath) this was! My son is four, but much younger will enjoy this too, probably ages 2-5.
on 19 August 2009
This book is a tremendous hit in our household! In the half hour of quiet time before his bath, we try to read as much as possible to our 16 month old son. Not many books hold his attention, but this one certainly does.

It gives you, the parent, a great opportunity to use rhythm and arm movement while reading to your youngster. The way it has been written allows you to build a real sense of excitement as you work your way through the various friends & journeys, but still allows for a calm ending as the story completes.

We've owned this since his birth. In all honesty, he showed little sign of caring until a month or two ago. Now, it has to be read each day, and twice if possible. We love, he loves it. A great book!
on 21 October 2005
Big Red Bath by Julia Jarman has been a favourite of my grandchildren for some time - they love the pace and the illustrations. Now my great nephew is joining in too! I hope there will be more fun, bright and easy to read books like this from Julia - we all enjoy this one!
on 11 June 2006
This book is the current favourite bed-time story with my two children ,and has been the 'most requested' for some time now. My eldest has memorised the text word for word and so really enjoys joining in with the rhyme. The illustrations are lovely too, and you can make a great little game out of searching for all the book's characters on the last page.
on 29 March 2009
We originally got this book out of the library regularly, but I finally bought it for my 2-year-old son because he loves it so much. We enjoy reading it after his bath and I love the last scene that contains all the animals that have been mentioned -- very clever!
on 7 February 2010
What can I say? - A truly delightful book for children of all ages! Another great success from Julia Jarman.
Bath-time is a magical time, and the imaginative ideas in this book are really allowed to run wild. It not only is an enjoyable read but it also improves children's rhyming vocabulary and of course, fires up their imagination. The illustrations are bright and cheerful and complement the text beautifully. Children will enjoy reading this book over and over again, and as an adult I am sure I will NEVER get bored of reading it.
Bath-times will never be the same again!
on 26 November 2011
I was at a nct nearly new sale when I first picked this book up, the lady next to me immediately recommended that I buy it for my young son (7mths). I did and have bought many more since as gifts. The rhyming lyrical nature of the story is fun for me to read and my sons face lights up when he sees the book, he points at something on every page and it is the only book he will actually sit still long enough for me to get to the end of the story!