5.0 out of 5 stars emergency services
I am fascinated by this type of book - people who are doing such worthwhile work. This one is very good, caring, even with their 'frequent fliers'! It must be very frustrating for them; they rarely get the chance to find out what happens to their patients. Ithink they should know how grateful the rest of us are that they are there. Heroes, every one!
Published on 30 Aug. 2011 by lizcat

2.0 out of 5 stars Rapid response
Very enjoyable read would like to see more of the same or any book based on anything medical very intresting
Published 8 months ago by bev

5.0 out of 5 stars emergency services, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapid Response, True stories of my like as a paramedic, 1 Feb. 2012
Loved this book from start to finish.
It was a book dedicated to the work of a paramedic, not snip bits of the writers life like other books I have read. The writer gave the briefest of details about her personal life.
The stories were all about patients who had called for the services of the paramedic and were very interesting, upsetting, sad, traumatic and also had a bit of humour thrown in. Very well written and detail explained which I liked. Hope we get more from this writer.
I read the Kindle version of it and I have a feeling one of the chapters was missing and as I turned the book on, it was already at 5% read.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating and moreish, 4 Sept. 2011
I couldn't put this book down. What a fascinating insight into the paramedic world. Some of the stories are heartbreaking whilst others are very humorous indeed but all compelled me to keep turning each page to discover what was coming next. Being someone who has had their life saved by paramedics and other emergency services, it was truly intriguing to discover what goes on behind the scenes in the lives of these most amazing of people. Highly recommended!!
If you enjoy true life tales about the emergency services, I would urge you to read Police, Crime & 999: The True Story of a Front Line Officer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out standing, 3 Jan. 2012
I have always shown a great intrest in the world of ambulance and ED. My cousin is a Paramedic. This book was amazing to read. I couldnt put it down. I cant express what a hard, trying, yet rewarding job these people do, and this book sure shows how day to day they struggle to keep people alive, to keep people comforted in dire times.
The author of this book should be really proud, because she has done a fantastic job at showing us what their job entails, keeping it real and captivating.
Fantastic. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Oct. 2012
A Customer of Amazon-UK - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book kept me captivated by her excellent writing style. Insightful into the UK's ambulance service ,I was right there in the scenarios, pulls no punches but is written in a compassionate and often humorous in many parts. I wanted the book to go on and on but there can probably be only so many stories you can tell.

You will read about the real life version of the "axe wielding nutter" one of the oddest and the men who constantly try it on and chat her up even in their frailest times, somehow thinking they are irresistible with a few lemonades down their throats.

You seldom think of the ambulance staff and their daily lot this book should be read by all and respect given to them for the terrible things they witness on a daily basis. life and death and the bits in between. I had a lump in my throat for some of the sadder incidents .

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, Shocking, Uplifting..., 31 Dec. 2011
I picked this up minutes after finishing 'Sirens' a similar book outlining the day to day life of a LAS paramedic. Whilst Tom Reynolds has received the plaudits (and TV series) I felt more emotionally attached to Lysa's writing. This books feels more of a 'greatest hits' with a deeper level of thought given to each of the incidents. Some funny, many sad and one or two genuinely shocking they provide a wonderful overview of the stressful yet rewarding work ambulance crews do. There's no political undercurrent or major NHS bashing...it's not the extended rant some books of this ilk become...even the vast majority of her patients are treated with the utmost respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book which explores the human stories behind the emergency call-outs, 9 May 2013
John Gass (UK) - See all my reviews
First of all, I should say that I discovered this book having met the author once, appropriately enough in my local A&E, where I was part of a team involved in a mental health project. Without having met Lysa I probably wouldn't have discovered the book, but I am very glad for both serendipitous events.

If I say this is enjoyable and easy to read, don't get me wrong; it is also hard-hitting and emotionally intense. Each of the relatively short chapters relates to a separate call-out, describing both the incident and the emotional impact of it. This makes it less a collection of gung-ho stories of bravery and adrenaline, although that's present in abundance, but more an exploration of the very human, often complex, stories which accompany the emergencies.

I was very moved by many of the stories told here, and impressed by the way that the author managed to approach each incident with the necessary professionalism, whilst also clearly having great insight and empathy. For anyone thinking of becoming any sort of professional who would have to deal with blue-light emergencies, I think this should be required reading. It reminds you that, whilst being good at the job will require all the expected 'hard' skills, it's often the humanity you bring to the job which will make you outstanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy reading, 2 Feb. 2012
This was easy to read, I could put it down and pick it up days later and would not loose the thread, because every chapter told a differnet story. I admire the work of the paramedics and do not envy them some of their jobs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed very much., 31 Dec. 2011
Excellent book, I found a real life peek into the life of a paramedic fascinating. Easy to read and a great collection of stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic, 25 Dec. 2011
H. Burrow (U.K) - See all my reviews
Just a warning to others wishing to read this book, if you have read the previous book by Lysa Walder 999: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic, they are exactly the same edition just with a different title and cover! So the other comment posted on here by Damaskcat, stating if you have read the other one you should read this, is misleading! Very dissapointing since i had asked for this for christmas, for something new to read!

I've only given this 5 stars as if you have not read the other edition, it is indeed a very good book, giving a very good incite into the ambulance service and the work they do, particularly if you wish to join the ambulance service like i do!

Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic
Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic by Jacky Hyams (Paperback - 4 July 2011)