5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Book Ever
Pets in a Pickle has to be the funniest book I have ever read. I enjoyed James Herriot but this is even better.

The book describes experiences encountered at the beginning of the career of Paul Mitchell, a newly qualified vet who joins a veterinary hospital in Sussex.

Published on 10 July 2011 by Mary Baltic

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely poor imitation of Herriot
Published on 7 Nov 2011 by Fidelma Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars The Funniest Book Ever, 10 July 2011
This review is from: Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1) (Paperback)

As Paul meets the staff, his descriptions are so vivid that I felt I also knew them. Beryl, the receptionist who seems to run the hospital, Dr Crystal Sharpe who with her husband Eric does run the hospital and Mandy and Lucy the two nurses who have there own 'tails' to tell.

The experiences with the animal patients and their owners had me in stitches. I cannot remember ever laughing aloud while reading a book but this was a fantastic first time.

Malcolm Welshman writes with incredible humour and with a tremendous skill that enables him to deliver a book that will appeal to all. He obviously has a lifetime of experiences that he has drawn on and I look forward to reading many more books from him.

I cannot imagine doing anything better on a dark winter day than to sit in a cosy chair and read a Malcolm Welshman book. A great dose of sunshine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vets in a Pickle, 14 Oct 2011
M. Martland (Scilly, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a vet too and this is just the sort of book I wish I had written. The author qualified just three years before I did so we are almost contemporaries and both of us entered practice at a time when a lot of the old methods had not yet died out but modern techniques were flooding in all the time.

It is a collection of linked short stories about pets and their owners and the amusing predicaments they get into, very much along the lines of James Herriot, but with differences. The stories are so similar to those that most vets could relate from experience that they awoke many memories, which I hastily wrote down for future reference. There are tales of sick cows, cats, horses and monkeys but it is the owners that bring the humour to the situation.

There is also the underlying romantic element, with the new vet falling in love with one of the veterinary nurses while at the same time fending off the amorous advances of his buxom divorced landlady. There is clearly scope for more.

I'd definitely recommend this book if you like James Herriot and it would make an ideal stocking filler for Christmas. I hope Malcolm Welshman writes many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious., 3 May 2011
M. I. Green - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1) (Paperback)
I sat down to dip into this book and ended up reading it all - very page turning. I didn't eat breakfast or go out until it was time for tea. There are so many interesting and funny incidents that happen to Paul Mitchell based on actual events which befell the author. It is no wonder then to find that James Herriot's son wrote the foreword to this deserving book. However, I would like to know a bit more about the main characters. All the action is fun but the personal relationships, especially between Paul and his girlfriend Lucy, didn't have quite enough space and I would have liked a bit more expansion there. Maybe this will happen in the sequel as, based on this entertaining read, I'm sure there will be one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample only - Amusing and well-written, 28 Sep 2011
I like the subject matter and the cover, so I downloaded this to my Kindle. I was rather deterred by the rapturous praise from Terry Wogan, Richard Madeley and their ilk at the beginning, and sure enough, although I found this book likeable and readable with no typos or Kindle layout errors, I only found it funny in a Doc Martin or Heartbeat kind of way, which surprised me for such a young author. I'm sure it would make a popular made-for-TV-1hr-Sunday-drama-film though and I would happily read a bit more than the sample, but I think the almost-Dickensian comedy element would grow rather tiresome after a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 28 Dec 2011
I am still only half way through this book, but every bit as good as the James Herriot books which I adore and read time after time.
Good to have a modern day version on vet stories, this writer will go far, more of the same please!

5.0 out of 5 stars A jolly good yarn, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1) (Paperback)
The book is an easy and truly delightful read full of memorable characters (animal and human) which takes you an unforgettable journey with new vet Paul Mitchell, as he deals with a menagerie of strange and exotic creatures... and their equally bizarre pets. Malcolm weaves a wonderful tale interlaced with rye observational humour and genuinely laugh-out-loud moments, liberally littered with pet related puns, that keeps you turning pages until there are no more.

I can't wait for a second helping.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book - I couldn't put it down! It's good fun and will make animal lovers laugh out loud.
The book follows young vet Paul Mitchell's first year in practice, and the eccentric, yet loveable, characters he meet bring many amusing challenges.
Light-hearted and entertaining, this book is definitely worth a read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Light Reading, 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1) (Paperback)
A warning: don't read this if you dislike puns or you'll end up hurling it across the room. I rather enjoy puns (probably says something about my intellect) so I was perfectly happy with it. My niggle was the relatively few but nevertheless irritating typos in the electronic edition which should have been eliminated at the proof-reading stage.

That apart, it's a jolly frolic through a vet's first few months in practice and kept me entertained for a couple of days. Inevitably, there is pathos but parts of it are laugh-aloud funny so don't be surprised to get a few odd looks if you're reading it on the train.

The book could have been twice as long and gone into much greater depth about many things but then, I suspect, it would be an entirely different product from the light-hearted read that this is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely poor imitation of Herriot, 7 Nov 2011
Fidelma Murphy (Kingston Upon Thames, UK) - See all my reviews
I was excited to read this based on the many positive reviews and my love of all Herriot's books. However, I was particularly disappointed with it. I struggled - and mean struggled - through to the end. The author's attempt at humour is weak in the extreme. His heavy and unending use of puns is quite wearing and rather insulting to an adult readership. I still await my modern-day Herriot.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly tedious., 28 Sep 2011
E M KNOTT "Noony" (Northwich, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because of the good reviews. All I can say is is must have been written for children. I was irritated right from the start but tried to stick with it. After a few chapters I could stand no more. Hugely disappointing. I loved the James Herriott books but this bears no resemblance.

ARRAY(0xb1dad3cc)

Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1)
Pets in a Pickle (Prospect House 1) by Malcolm D. Welshman (Paperback - 3 May 2011)
5.99