5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could swear here but I can't
This is the funniest book I have read in a long time. It's about time that someone slammed together the self-help and comedy genres. The book certainly takes its own advice and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Published on 7 July 2011 by Rob Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting a grip and making it stick
At this point in my life I decided I needed some tough love, I needed a swift kick up the bazooka.
So I bought "How to Get a grip" by Mr Matthew Kimberley and, well, he tells it like it is, basically: Get over yourself, suck it up, stop whinging and get your ass moving forward.

Matthew tells us all to focus on the big picture things: health, family and...
Published 13 months ago by AvidReader

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could swear here but I can't, 7 July 2011
Rob Collins "Bobby C" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I too have grown tired of self-help books that take 200 pages to explain a simple concept. They might give you a short-term mood boost, but it's soon over and you're back to square one. Part of the problem is that it's hard to hold lots of complicated advice in your head at the same time during your day to day life. But HTGAG's advice is nice and simple, and the humour helped it to stick inside my brain rather nicely. Sometimes the simplicity is a problem because some of the issues are handled a little *too* lightly for my liking. But combine this book with a few others (I have 4 favourite self-help books that together I think are a perfect package) and I think anyone can be turned into a superhero.

Before reading, I was a bit worried that if this book's advice is all common sense, won't I just find it obvious and boring? Not at all. While reading the book, I had multiple, "Aha!" moments, even though I've read somewhere between 10-20 books in this genre. It hasn't been hard work at all - it's just like someone telling you the answer to a maths problem you've been struggling over for a while.

I preferred the first half of the book. The second half is still good, but I found the humour to be a little less engaging and the advice a little more obvious (therefore less useful).

Summary: I loved this book, it made me cry with laughter several times. I bought several copies for my friends and have been recommending it to many more. So you should buy it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I got a grip!, 4 Jan 2013
I bought this book on a whim for the grand sum of 99 English pence, and I can say it's one of the best reads I have had in a long time. I, at 35, have never written a book review (less at school,many moons ago) as usually I can't be arsed! But after reading this I thought sod it. Also I would usually worry if people read this that they may pick me up for grammar etc, but after reading this book I don't care what anyone may think.
If your a 30 something who "can't be arsed" then read this book!! It will change your life, at least a little bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Oct 2011
The most direct and simple book on getting yourself sorted out that you will ever read. Have already read it twice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting a grip and making it stick, 9 July 2013
This review is from: How to Get a Grip (Paperback)

Matthew tells us all to focus on the big picture things: health, family and relationships.
He warns that all too often we get buried in the details, then wake up and go `what the frack happened to my life?'
Matthew sates you are the cause of most of your problems, which means that you are also the solution, so stop getting in your own way! Dag nab it! (Ok, he doesn't say Dag Nab it but he should, it's funny)

What's great is that most of Matthew's advice is common sense, we just need to be reminded every now and then, he's really funny and there's no soft, gooey cotton candy or fluff here. Just simple, straightforward honesty.

If you respond to tough talk, then this is for you. If you need a reminder of the grit and crust of what really matters in life, then this is for you.
I'm not giving it 5 stars because as it turns out I didn't really respond to tough love, I need gentle encouragement, sweet talk and goo - but that's just me.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ultimate anti Self help, self help book, 30 Oct 2011
T.R.SULLIVAN (OXSHOTT, SURREY United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Get a Grip (Paperback)
For all those who have, at some point, fallen victim to the plethora of Self Help books, which invariably have the result of making you even more anxious, this book IS the answer. Esssentially, the message is an unequivocal "for heaven's sake just get on with it". At the end of the day, there are precious few things over which we do atually have any control, and 99% of that is over ourselves, and NOT other people or things, whatever we may have been trained to think. Responsibility for SELF (no blaming others, however tempting) is absolutely where it is at, and if we do this, life will be simpler and much more effective. It is also full of humour, as we all need this, and not to take ourselves so seriously, and we owe it to ourselves to enjoy ourselves more. Just do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny guy, 5 Oct 2012
I regret buying this on my Kindle; in paperback, it would be the perfect book to add to my downstairs loo collection (and I mean this as a compliment). How To Get A Grip is hilarious and yet full of excellent advice for a more fulfilling, laid-back life.

There are some niggles; the author's tone is full-on north American - yet he was born and raised in the UK - and he seems to have his own continuing insecurities as, according to my Kindle, the first 8% of the book is a sales-pitch/justification of the merits of his book. The demographic addressed is narrowly heterosexual and middle-class - and there's a surprisingly indulgent approach to drinking and (worse) smoking. But perhaps I nit-pick as the belly-laughs will, for many readers, be more than reward enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, funny and life changing - especially great for blokes!, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: How to Get a Grip (Paperback)
I read this on my Kindle but ordered the paper version because it was so good i wanted others to read it. It's written in a very blokey no nonsense way, is very easy and amusing to read but still filled with all the insights and motivation that the airy fairy self books are usually filled with. I'm a woman but i still apreciated the no nonsense, non soppy approach of self help. I was laughing out loud and reading parts to my other half which made him laugh too.... which is a first when it comes to self help stuff!! This will be a great present or book for someone who is definately not into nampy pampy self help (ie. blokes!!!)i've bought one for my teenage son and lazy bloke friend's xmas! The information in the book is really helpful, could really turn someones life around for the best but the information is delivered in such an amusing laid back way that makes it fun to read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time with this, 23 May 2013
Poor, patronising, felt as if he was poking fun at people with some of his suggestions. .Not worth reading - other reviews I read of the book were good, but I stopped reading it half way through and just skimmed through the rest of the chapters.

3.0 out of 5 stars a very good start to a scaterred end, 8 Nov 2012
My feeling about this book was that at the beginning it was full of promises, very good, make a lot of senses
but until the end it seems like the autor wrote to full some pages with too much jokes or sarcasms or i don't know and it felt a bit messy. But very good, helpful book overall, more connected to reality than other self-help books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got a grip...thanks!, 28 Jan 2013
I don`t know how I came across this book, but I am so glad I did...it's simple!...it's funny!...it's worth a read!...x

How to Get a Grip
How to Get a Grip by Matthew Kimberley (Paperback - 4 April 2011)
5.59