5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and though provoking read, 5 stars
Published 23 months ago by Bibz

3.0 out of 5 stars The ending lets the book down.
It was a good book. I especially enjoyed the way she really made the effort to live the way of an Egyptian. However I felt she's so dismissive, nay dare I say condescending of other reverts in Egypt who perhaps have struggled to integrate as well. Also if anything I found her surprisingly judgemental regarding those with long beards. automatically calling them...
Published 9 months ago by booboolina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and though provoking read, 5 stars, 28 Jan 2013
G. Willow Wilson is a superb writer. After being out of the swing of reading for a few years, this book made it both easy and pleasurable to curl up and get lost in the text. The way it is written is engaging and intelligent, anyone can follow Wilson's thought process as if they are living the story themselves. There are issues which are addressed in this book which leave a lasting impression with the reader, and I personally found myself not only seeing things from the points of view of many different types of people, but also learning invaluable lessons about different societies and different cultures. I felt that I could relate to Willow' s situation of belonging to different nationalities but sometimes feeling alien amongst my people. I will continue to think about this book and would definitely recommend it to everyone, it is a fantastic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just loved this Book, 17 May 2012
I bought this Book to read as I was interested in both Egypt and Some one converting to Islam. Have really loved reading this book and how she came into Islam.I would really recommend this book whether you are interested in Islam or not . It is not a preachy type of book it is very open .

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and beautiful book....., 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Butterfly Mosque: A Young Woman's Journey to Love and Islam (Hardcover)
This gem of a book is well worth the read. I bought it one day, as I saw it on a bookshop shelf.....and it is so sensitively written. AS a british convert to Islam, also married to an Egyptian, I really connected to the author and her beautiful description of conversion, the struggle for being understood across two continents, 2 religions, and her description of Cairo (all the more interesting given recent events) make it a stunning debut book from a young writer.
It is in part a book about religion & identity, a homage to Cairo, a gorgeous love story, and, above all, a book about being true to oneself, whatever the cost...... buy it !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 2 May 2013
A beautifully crafted book. The more I read, the more I wanted to learn about the author's journey to finding Islam and love in Egypt. You experience all the things she experiences; irritation, confusion, excitement and peace. A lovely lovely read.

However, as with other reviewers, I was a little dismayed that there were so many references to Sunni vs Shia Muslims, which felt a little out of place and unnecessary to the story as a whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, 14 Jan 2013
Being an English woman also living jn Egypt with an Egyptian husband this book echoed familiarity to me. The author manages to explain situations, feelings & emotions I have long since given up trying to arficulate, as I could neither understand them, nor find the words to explain them. Many times I found myself with wet eyes.
This book has given me a great gift. Inner peace.
Finally I am ready to be true to myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars She talks about Cario in detail (which was nice as I have never been there) and also talked ..., 21 Sep 2014
Only had a few days and over half way there!. She talks about Cario in detail (which was nice as I have never been there) and also talked about conflicts in herself about Islam and worries about her family and friends on her conversion (again was nice as I can relate to that).
It was delivered quicker than I thought it would be to. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 11 Aug 2011
I got this book from the library yesterday and have finished it by this morning. It is addictive and the way she explains her feelings so well. I'm in the process of reverting and I found the book a very good eye opening read to read weather your Muslim or not she makes sure she highlights both side of the argument fairly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Beautifully written. Enjoyed reading every page!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Loved this book, was a joy to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 8 Jun 2014
tokyo24 (manchester,uk) - See all my reviews
This book was great I could really imagine the streets of Egypt and the struggles living there. Would recommend to everyone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Butterfly Mosque: A Young Woman's Journey to Love and Islam
The Butterfly Mosque: A Young Woman's Journey to Love and Islam by G. Willow Wilson (Hardcover - 1 Aug 2010)