5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Review of the BAD in Religions
Christopher Hitchens died last year and until he died I had never heard of him. I read eulogies from his fellow journalists and then heard no more until last week when, by chance, I came across some video clips of Hitchens speaking about his views on religion and I found them fascinating.

I then found that Hitchens had written a book, God is not Great: how...
Published on 16 April 2012 by Duncan Williamson

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor God, Hitchens's put you in the closet and I'm feeling so sad
This is the fifth of the recently published books that critically examine religion, faith, and/or God that I have read during the last year or so. The others are:

Dawkins, Richard. The God Delusion (2006)
Dennett, Daniel C. Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon (2006)
Harris, Sam. The End of Faith: Religion, Terror and the Future of...
Published on 21 April 2008 by Dennis Littrell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Review of the BAD in Religions, 16 April 2012
Duncan Williamson "Tall Tyke" (Halifax West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything (Paperback)

I then found that Hitchens had written a book, God is not Great: how religion poisons everything. I bought the book and have now read it.

Firstly, I have only read a couple of chapters of Richard Dawkins The God Delusion and I have to say that Hitchens did a far better job than Dawkins.

Religious people do not like God is not Great. Not because it tests their faith but because of what it reveals about what goes on in the name of religion. Hitchens tells us, almost in passing, that he has received death threats, nasty phone calls and threats of violence for holding his view that he believes that religions poison everything.

Having been born and brought up in a country where freedom of speech is taken for granted, I wonder at who it could be that would so object to someone's views that they threaten murder. That's for their conscience!

As for the book, it is entertainingly written and full of stories aimed at the three main monotheisms: Christianity, Jewry, Islam. He regales us with story after story of the things that clerics hiding under these three banners get up to and have got up to for millennia. Hitchens reveals a great number of sources too: he's not just letting off steam.

I have to say that I read this book for the overview it provided and not to learn the deep and detailed information that Hitchens sometimes goes into: it's there if you want it, of course.

I like Hitchens' style as it is keen, ascerbic, funny, witty, well sourced and contains many words that I had never come across before. At least it will improve your vocabulary.

I have to say that another motivation for reading the book is that I arrived at a similar position to Hitchens vis a vis religion over the last two or three years having seen religious brainwashing and its consequences at first hand. No God will work in that way with those people: something else is most definitely going on and I could support these things no longer, having realised what was happening.

I imagine there will be people who read this mini review and who might feel angry with me for having written it: well, that's for you to come to terms with. I am glad I read the book, I learned many things about religions that I did not previously know and Hitchens gives a message that we all ought to consider. You do not have to agree with him!

What's wrong with the book? Well, Hitchens has a mission, to clarify why he thinks religions poison everything. He gives no time to the good that good people in religions often do. He does not attempt to redress any imbalances in his arguments at all in this respect. If he were alive to answer this point I am sure he would ask, why on earth should I?

Overall, if you are deeply committed to your religion you might not want to read this book but I think you should suspend your faith, read it and then explore fully what Hitchens has to say. Don't dismiss this book with anger in your heart! If you give Hitchens a fair hearing and stick to your guns then fine.

I recommend this book to everyone but if your English reading skills are weak, it will be difficult for you: Hitchens' English language skills are highly developed and he's writing for an educated audience. No offence to anyone, just a friendly warning!

DW

5.0 out of 5 stars It's exactly what it claims to be, 13 May 2009
Simon Hall (Dublin) - See all my reviews
This book is EXTREMELY well written. Witty, informative, and determined.

Many one-star-ers have noted that this book is one of two things:

1. The Atheist Camp claim that this book is not as 'good' as the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins - the arguments are difficult to follow, it's not as scientific or academic as it might be.

Well, Christopher is not a scientist. The book is a fantastic diatribe against the parties of God - it doesn't claim to be anything more. It's a wonderful contribution to atheistic literature. It's funny, clever and well-researched. It's not supposed to be an academic thesis.

2. The God Camp claim that Hitchens succeed in attacking religion, but doesn't manage to prove that God himself does not exist.

While he outlines his reasons for not believing in God, Hitchens does not set out to prove that God does not exist. He sets out to do what it says underneath his main title - to demonstrate how religion poisons everything - and he does a fantastic job.

This book is highly recommended to those who want to laugh and cry at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever, Very Readable and Pretty Convincing Too, 2 Jun 2007
Mr. C. S. Smith "VladtheImpala" (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
Firstly - I've read the US version of this book, "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything", this is why I can write a review.

If you just want to comment on Hitchens/Atheism in general (either for or against) then please do it somewhere else!

I wasn't the greatest Hitchens fan but I have to admit that this book is something special. It's well written with lots of entertaining anecdotes and is easily more readable than Dawkins "The God Delusion". The pages fly by and his points are interesting and well made.

Obviously I was expecting a rabid attack on all things godly yet Hitchens turns out to be cleverer than that. He insists that people should be free to believe what they want - they just shouldn't try to force their beliefs on others. There's the expected examination of the Abrahamic religions here (yes, including Islam) but also critiques of other faiths too. Intelligent and inventive, this was far far better than the book that I was expecting.

Overall it's a great read with a convincing message that has convinced me to look at Hitchens back catalogue to see what other gems are hidden there...

I dare you to read this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it with an open mind, 27 Sep 2007
Dr. D. Fraser (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is a worthy companion to Dawkins "The God Delusion". Whereas Dawkins is a scientist, this author takes more of a historical perspective.

I have read a great deal of the current fashion of these type of books. I have enjoyed them all, but Hitchens is perhaps the best of all. He is fearless and expresses himself with great eloquence. You really have to admire his convictions, even if you do not agree with his every point.

Hitchens shows why he believes religion to be a consequence of our evolutionary childhood, why he believes it should not be considered a source of morality and all the ways in which it has demonstrated (he believes) its tendency to forster totalitarian malevolence.

It is unfortunate that many of the reviews posted are vitreolic arguements from pro- or anti-creationists. Clearly many people take great offence to their faith being questioned. But surely if ones faith is trully strong, they should be able to respond to such challenges in a positive way? It is scarcely likely that a book is going to change your lifelong held beliefs, so surely it can be read with an open mind as to understanding other peoples point of view.

The only criticism I would make of this book is that sometimes too much knowledge is assumed of the reader. At times I found myself having to contentrate quite hard as I was not overly familiar with the historical events.

5.0 out of 5 stars Over to you 'GOD', 26 May 2010
Gillian Fantazi (haslemere, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm reading this amazing book for the second time. This book should be alongside the bible as part of everyones education. Let the individual decide whether to go for God or not. I know which I would choose. Religion has been the one most dangerous organisation ever invented by man, and this book explains all about how corrupting it has been. Probably the finest piece of writing I have ever come across on why religion has been so negative and thorougly disagreeable throughout its man-made existance. A wonderful, wonderful book of revelations. Every single one of you should read it.Its that good, I wondered sometimes whether I was dreaming. You would never believe some the amazing facts about organised religion he comes up with. Over to you God!for you have a lot of explaining to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Argument for What's in the Title, 13 July 2013
Brilliantly sets up and then demolishes the arguments for organised religion. Agree or disagree it should make you think, but preaching to the converted, (or unconverted with me). Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars God is not great, 18 Nov 2012
A thoughtful and intelligent book that questions and debunks religion in all it's forms. Only the truly faithful can resist the clean and clear conclusion that (any) God is not great and belief systems such as these really do poison everything. An easy but compelling read that will surprise as well as inform you whatever your particular delusion. Don't be afraid.

Resistance is futile !

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent demonstration of intellectual prowess., 12 Sep 2012
After watching many debates in which Hitchens systematically picked apart many of the world's religions, I though that I must get this, the Hitchens 'Bible', for want of a better term.

An exquisite book with complex yet accessible arguments against a myriad aspects of almost every popular religion in the world. His case against Buddhism, as just one example, is both provocative and vindicating; highly educational.

A fantastic book for the non-believer, or the agnostic, or even the theist.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb thought provoking entertaining personal view of religion., 29 April 2012
John R. J. Taylor "jumbo" (london uk) - See all my reviews
This book is a diatribe from the pen of a superb and now sadly gone intellect and is terrifying to Christians, Muslims or any religion (man made and invented ) that believes in the ludicrous madness of supernatural life. Hitchens life has been threatened many many times simply for giving his opinions, truly religion is poisonous ( RIP Theo Van Gogh )
A cash in?, Hitchens just weighed in with his own opinion as was his nature. Any artist will strike while the iron is hot so that accusation is rather facile.
Also Hitchens is never scared to put his head above the parapet. An artist who creates with honesty puts himself on the line and invites opprobrium. The smug criticisms of this book are by armchair critics who do not have the courage or mettle to say something themselves.
BIBLE.
The bible..hmm a great folkloric work made up by men in a primitive age when a gust of wind would drive humans to sacrifice any living thing even their children to keep the Djinns away. Nothing in it contributed by a woman (gods weaker and filthy invention according to many religions) Fables invented by men with a wee bit of twisted fact. No telly you see so scary entertainment had to be created to frighten the children, and keep the peasants bowed.
Yes its fascinating literature, only a fool would deny that, but its been the most promoted work the world has ever seen, had the free press been around the bible would have had competitors, many, many , many of them but there was none so Pauls brainchild gathered momentum like a big snowball. Reason and science is like the sun, its bright, it makes sense and well...it melts snow, the bible is dripping.

St Paul (Saul of Tarsus) the Saatchi fear mongering zealot of his day is to blame for such a pile of dogs-wallop gaining such credence over the millenia, rapidly followed by Mark, Luke et al (who strangely several decades later reported stuff that Paul had never even mentioned in his entire oeuvre about the Christ holy fella near the time he was 'beamed up') .
The blood and screams of horribly tortured non believers litter and flood the centuries, fear piled on fear, death on death add to the weight of its heinous inflictions on mankind and add to the weight and momentum of the book called the Bible. Hitchens said 'religion is poison', I totally agree. I've seen it do terrible things in my 54 years on this earth (to friends and acquaintances as well as what I've witnessed on the media) and I'll see it do more. The bad easily outweighs the good. For instance If only we could hear the testimonies of the nurses and doctors who abandoned Mother Theresa centres because of her breathtaking insouciance to the pain of her patients and her indifference to the birth of millions of children born into starvation and agonising diseases because the church abhors birth control and would rather allow agonies to take place in the name of the holy spirit than sidestep, religion is poisonous, truly.
Humanity will evolve away from this primitive supernatural rubbish if it wants to survive.
Like Hitchens I am not an atheist I am an Antitheist.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOD IS NOT GREAT, 22 April 2012
Whichever side of the fence you are on, this is a truly thought-provoking read if you want to know the other point of view. Hitchens makes very strong arguments to put his case forward. Yes, he is accused of 'picking and choosing' but both sides do that, don't they?

Fact after fact is put forward as indisputable evidence, so to go against it means that you just have to live in denial.

Provoke your mind and give it a read - who knows, maybe you'll find enlightenment and come out the richer for it.

A must read - enjoy!

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens (Paperback - 8 Sep 2007)
6.99