on 1 May 2009
I read Joan Bakewell`s book and was pleasantly surprised by the way it was written and the content of the book. Joan writes about her life in a down to earth, funny and entertaining way. I would recommend this book to anyone of her generation or a little younger. Great reminiscences and reminders of happenings in our younger days! Can`t wait for her next book!
I "read" this as an audiobook and was quite surprised that Joan Bakewell did not do the narration herself. Patricia Gallimore does an able job but at times she sounded just like the queen!

The View From Here is a selection of Bakewell's writings about reaching seventy. I have always admired her as a broadcaster and looked forward to hearing observations on ageing. However this was all a bit disappointing. There were few insights or really interesting thoughts. It was all a bit patchy and even repetitive in places. She admits she is lucky enough to be in reasonable health, has a supportive family and no money worries. In fact, it all felt a bit complacent - could have done with a bit more passion!
on 3 November 2015
In a world where almost all people on the planet are in their teens - forever - this book is a great help to the rest of us, knackered and rejected.
on 18 July 2010
What a let down!!! I have always like Joan Bakewell and the sub-title of this book is "Life at Seventy" so thought I could read many tips and anecdotes before I arrived there to prepare me! It felt I was being lectured at and talked at by a strict victorian grandmother to a small child. Skipped through most of it and will send it to the charity shop
on 17 May 2013
Fun book to read if you know the era - plus of course Joan Bakewell - suspect will be of interest mainly to an older generaration who will have experienced her programmes several years ago.
on 5 January 2015
Excellent - Thank you
on 1 November 2013
I'm afraid I don't think Joan Bakewell has a very good mind; overuse of the lazy journalistic "we" throughout and basically just the one idea re-stated again and again.
on 24 March 2016
the recipient was v pleased with this gift
on 26 February 2016
It arrived in good time but I think the creasing of the paper jacket was a bit more than a long shelf life problem. I would say the book had been opened on a number of occasions but at the price is was right. My only problem was that it was for a 70th birthday present. I took an eraser to the cover and cleaned it up.
on 16 January 2014
The quality of the cassette covers was not great in that it had labels stuck all over them and was obviously previously from a library. Not very impressed as I had to remove the labels and adhesive.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse