4.0 out of 5 stars Oddly hilarious
Published on 20 July 2005 by Melon Dubes

3.0 out of 5 stars Magical printing
Even leaving aside the literary merits of this collection of short stories (I think "Running with Scissors" is much the best of Burroughs' writing) the first thing which strikes you is its large format. The publishers have chosen an above average paperback size, double-spaced the lines and used big type in an attempt to justify the whopping 9.99 cover price.
You...
Published on 12 July 2005 by T. Bently

4.0 out of 5 stars Oddly hilarious, 20 July 2005
This is the first - but certainly not the last - book I have read from this author. It is a collection of autobiographical short stories which represent small snippets of his life experiences, written about in a hilariously crazy way. The way his mind works seems to pour itself onto paper in a fashion that is very enjoyable to read. His experiences are not that amazing in themselves, it is his angle on them and his reactions to seemingly banal occurences that make one laugh. His writing style is a little Hunter S. Thompsonesque due to his opulent use of vocabulary. Because of the short story format it is easy to read for people with a short attention span or not much time on their hands. The result was that I was kept fixated and interested and read the book in one day.

3.0 out of 5 stars Magical printing, 12 July 2005
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
You don't need magical thinking to see that a bit of profiteering is going on. I recommend that you save your pennies and beg, steal or borrow a copy if you're keen to see the latest instalment from this sometimes cynical but always entertaining US memoirist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Augusten the god of all those with a slight personality disorder and troubled upbringing, 17 Feb 2007
And I mean that in a nice way. He tells his stories effortlessly and if you read this with 'Running with Scissors' you can peice togther a very tragic but very funny life made good. He's honest with out being sickening and sickening with out being sectionable (just). I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 15 Feb 2006
This book like most of his others is absolutely fantastic, you don't want to put it down and when you do it's only for a second when you have to swipe your oyster at the tube station. Hilarious book, and keeps you interested all the way through. It has many different stories from throughout his life so very easy to digest although I advise you read this last of his books as there are a couple of extracts that have been repeated although I was not tired reading it a second time. If you have never read his book then I recommend you make a purchase and if you have read one of his other books and enjoyed it I recommend you purchase all his books because they are all just as brilliant as each other.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as good as the others, 1 Jan 2008
This review is from: Magical Thinking (Hardcover)
After finishing Dry, which I enjoyed immensely, I eagerly opened up this book. This one was a bit of a disappointment. Actually, I'm reluctant to criticize these stories, because what I really like about Augusten Burroughs is exactly what I didn't like in this particular book. I like his caustic wit. I like his honesty. I like his neurosis. I like that he sees the trees instead of the forest sometimes. However, some of these stories are just really boring. Some of them are funny. Some of them are less funny but have some really hysterical parts. Some of these are just like journal entries. . . and these are the stories I found to be a waste of time.

For instance, when Augusten writes of Dennis, he writes with such love and affection that, had there been an actual story to tell, I would have really enjoyed reading that. But, at least two-- maybe three stories-- were just about the author's intense love and affection for this man. That's okay and all, and I'm happy that the author has found happiness, yet it is a bit boring to read for the reader!

Additionally, there was one story where Burroughs steps on a baby's hand and moves away without explaining to the mother why the baby is crying. The mother thinks the baby wants a toy and scolds her instead of comforting her. Maybe this is funny to Burroughs-- who openly admits he's a bit of a cad and not too paternal-- but it's really cruel. And, although it might be funny if seen on Seinfeld, it's definitely not endearing and definitely doesn't arouse any empathy for the author from the reader. Neither does the cruel way he kills a mouse. Although the comments he makes after talking to a plumber WERE hilarious.

I wouldn't recommend this book, but I do recommend Running with Scissors and Dry. I am awaiting my copy of Selevision, as well. I haven't given up on reading any other books he comes out with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uproariously Funny, 1 July 2007
I started reading this book at 13:00 on the train from London to Manchester and finished it just before arriving at the station. It is the most incredible book I have read this year.

Mr.Burroughs has an amazing sense of humour in his way of writing his experiences. It keeps you wanting for more. A definite page turner and amazingly funny to the point that I couldn't stifle my laughter.

I loved the part about the house cleaner! One can truly relate to his stories. This is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kind of book..., 14 May 2014
This review is from: Magical Thinking: True Stories (Paperback)
Wonderful stories... nicely written.... enjoyable.....
This is a good introduction to Mr Burroughs work and if you like it then you should read the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning!!!, 12 May 2005
This review is from: Magical Thinking (Hardcover)
Warning - this review may just come out as a gush... I love Augusten Burroughs. Running With Scissors was one of the funniest, saddest, most emotionally charged books I have ever read despite the cool, laidback, and detached prose. I thought he would never better it , then he did with Dry. No way could he do it again, i thought. And he did - Magical Thinking is fantastic, and as fantastic as little gold-plated Augusten gets, the reader can still somehow identify with his inner monologues. Just pure genius. I have never smiled/ laughed so much in bed, much to the chagrin of my husband! Thanks Augusten for brightening my life!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really are the funniest, 28 Dec 2010
L. northover "Lisa" (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magical Thinking: True Stories (Paperback)
This collecton of short stories were the first audible books I brought. I listen to them while doing housework and they are so, so funny I found myself looking for more things to clean and tidy so I could keep listening. I have yet to find anther author who is so funny that I keep laughing out loud like this, He has even helped me to see the hilarity in lots of everyday events I would thoroughly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Un put downable!, 22 July 2007
M. T. Peakin (London UK) - See all my reviews
Just finished reading this, couldn't put it down! It had me laughing out loud on the tube a good few times, some brilliant observations. Very much in the style of David Sedaris, very dry and very funny.

I can't wait to read his other books now!

Magical Thinking: True Stories
Magical Thinking: True Stories by Augusten Burroughs (Paperback - 13 April 2006)
6.24