5.0 out of 5 stars It actually hurts to read this book
Cynical, unreconstructed, venomous and decidedly un-PC. And that's just me. Having endured years of, admittedly enjoyable, Lonely Planet and Rough Guide- guided travel, the jetlag series has come at exactly the right time for me and anyone else vaguely embarassed about how seriously they take Tony Wheeler and his imitators.
Whilst other forthcoming books in the...
Published on 5 April 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 cheers for Molvania
As a parody of a travel book, it works very well, although the joke tends to wear a bit thin the further you get into the book. It would have had a stronger foundation and been funnier if the authors had concentrated more on the oddities of a life in post-communist Eastern Europe. As it was, some of the inconsistencies and inaccuracies to do with the real world were...
Published on 20 Sep 2005

4.0 out of 5 stars Molvania Land of My Dreams, 13 Sep 2011
This sideways looks at a surreal former eastern block country had me in fits of giggles.

I bought a copy for my much travelled friend and her response fantastic. She loves the book too.

The light breezy style and world class photography mark this book out as a stocking filler this Christmas.

Sail-Mutt

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic..., 21 Oct 2010
AC (dundee scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This book was funny from cover to cover.
I was sad it didn't mention Zlad though :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking off guide books, 6 Aug 2010
This is a brilliant satire of those thousands of guides that are a "must-read" for today's traveller. It also resonates with many of the quirks you can find to this day in Eastern Europe. Molvania does exist - i's just spread through the whole of Eastern Europe in pockets. This is a very funny book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good laugh, 22 Jan 2010
Andrew Smith "Magyarophile" (East London) - See all my reviews
It's good stuff, it's creative and amusing. Great travel reading. Who could miss entrail soup at Nenja Olgja's?

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually, this is a piece of sophisticated humour, 19 Sep 2009
G. J. Vandersluis (Holland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Molvania: A Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry (Jetlag Travel Guide) (Paperback)
The originality and ingenuity is of a high level. This book can bring you to a roar with laughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud, 13 July 2009
P. Saville (Scotland) - See all my reviews
First picked up this book whilst in the waiting room of my dentist and boy did it take away the pain! Finally tracked down a 2nd hand copy on Amazon and I can't put it down. Took it to work and it's been a hit.
Well written and laid out like the real thing I would recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour of anyone looking to revive theirs!
Spot on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny Folly, 9 Jun 2009
Mr. G. M. Speirs "Gary" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Great fun, if a little samey as you work through it. I love to travel and I love Europe, but this still managed to make me laugh out loud.. I did stop myself taking it on a recent trip to Russia tho...

5.0 out of 5 stars Goooooooo-o-o-od Morning Molvania, 25 April 2004
Robin Benson - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The three authors have created a brilliant parody of those travel books that always have a slightly optimistic edge to the copy despite the country they are writing about possibly being a bit of a third-rate dump. The contents follow the usual format, a brief survey of Molvanian history, geography, culture, food and drink, theatre and the arts, how to get there etc, etc and as this is Molvania there are some useful words on crime and ATMs.

The rest of the book is devoted to a full description of the five regions with information about the main towns, hotels, where to eat and what to see. In fact just what you would expect to see in any travel guide and this is why I think the book is just stunning, it looks so convincing. The attention to detail has paid off, with little colour code squares on the edge of each page, central area street maps of each town, hotel references (with those little symbols for bed, phone, karaoke or toxic spa) the use of bold type in the text to emphasise things to see or do, color panels with Traveller's Tips, dozens of photos obviously carefully chosen to depict negative aspects of the country and at the back an index, a detailed map of Molvania and a map of the capital (Lutenblag) transport system. It just looks so real and I think it is a tribute to the authors that they have managed to keep the parody text credible to the last page.

As is usual with travel guides the publishers have a plug for their titles, other Jetlag Travel Guides include, for instance, 'Let's Go Bongoswana' (formerly known as Belgium East Congo) 'Surviving Moustaschistan' (Central Asia's forgotten jewel, tucked between the break-away Soviet state of Kalashnikov and the former Persian province of Carpetstan) or how about 'Sailing the Syphollos Straits (another forgotten jewel near the oil-drenched capital of Port Halitosis)

I haven't quoted any of the great stuff in this book, you can get a flavor of this by going to Molvania (via Google) to see some pages from the book but here is a useful phrase, "Sprufki doh craszko" (What is that smell?)

2.0 out of 5 stars one-trick pony, 19 April 2011
Jaime Garcia (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book partly because I loved the idea, partly because of the reviews in Amazon. In retrospect, I think that was a mistake.

I found this spoof travel guide vaguely amusing but extremely repetitive, which seems odd for such a thin book. It made me smile, but almost never made me laugh.

Some of the reviewers in Amazon.com wrote things like "this is offensive for Eastern Europe and they are our allies!", which to be honest was another reason to buy the book. As I expected, most of the book should offend nobody, although I have to say that the following paragraph could be skating on thin ice a bit:

"Women travellers: Women travelling alone through Molvania should expect few problems aside from the usual assault, armed robbery and stalking that one sees in most Eastern European countries. A wedding ring has one advantage in that it may help prevent you becoming the target of amorous advances. On the downside, it will make you a certain target for gypsy thieves." (page 37)

As someone who is very familiar with Eastern Europe, I was hoping for a clever satire of the weird and wonderful customs and peculiarities of those countries. Unfortunately, this book is more like a Borat joke: a parody of how uninformed Westerners see Eastern Europe, not one of the region itself.

My recommendation: try before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Molvania - a hell of a state, 24 April 2004
Oh God, this spoof "Jetlag" travel guide is on a par with Bill Bryson's real anecdotes. I was laughing so frequently that I was getting strange looks on London Underground whilst reading this book. Absolutely superb. This from the same trio who brought you the movie "The Dish".

I particularly look forward to the "forthcoming" guides on "Aloha Takki Tikki", "Getting Round the Tofu Islands" and "Surviving Moustachistan"...

Molvania: A Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry (Jetlag Travel Guide)
Used & New from: 0.01