4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money

3.0 out of 5 stars A good guide, but not as good as going
Published on 14 Sept. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars A good guide, but not as good as going, 14 Sept. 2005
By A Customer
Having just returned from Morocco with a copy of this book, I would say that for the most part it is, as with all rough guides, an essential travelling companion. For those buying the book with a view to travelling to Morocco, I would bare in mind that because Morocco is a country changing at a great pace especially in terms of its tourist ambitions, that the guide despite only being published a year ago is already out-of-date with regard to some of the facilities available in places of Morocco that some may consider "off the beaten track." The guide suggested that some of the towns we stayed in did not have running water, electricity or places to eat, which was not the case and reading the book beforehand may well have encouraged us not to go to these places. As it transpired, these places were among some of the best we visited. It is also fairly pessimistic about the availability of alcohol and clean hotel rooms, both of which we found to be freely available.
It is still an invaluable travelling guide to Morocco and a good way to while away the hours travelling between towns and villages. For those who are undecided about a trip to Morocco I would suggest going now, it is an amazing place but I have the feeling that in a few years time the tourists will well and truly have taken over the place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 2 Dec. 2009
Gogol (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
I must say I was a little sceptical at buying this at first because having read the rough guide to Turkey and finding it reading like it was written by some spoilt brat college student (Referring to Sunni Muslims in Turkey as "Poe faced" for example) I was actually looking for a lonely planet edition on the country as the lonely planet book on Turkey is excellent however, this books is great.

First of all its nothing like the rough guide to Turkey. The authors of this book are not only sympathetic to the country (Sometimes to the point of being over the top) But it actually seems they have taken the good time to do some serious travel and research into the country instead of just a whistle stop tour of cheap hotels and the odd ex pat student bar.

All the major cities are covered and most importantly the places of the greatest interest (Fez, Rabat, Tangier, Marrakesh, Casablanca etc) The manners and customs of the Moroccans also well covered with plenty of what to do and what not to do when you travel around the place. Some issues though they do seem to be a little over sensitive as I previously mentioned, examples of these are the fact that other than the Mosque in Casa non Muslims are not allowed in any Mosque in the country so the authors just go on about what you can see from the outside (Presumably the authors think that anyone outside of Morocco reading the book is a non Muslim) one particularly comical comment is regarding a Mosque which is cordoned off to prevent "Christians and stray animals" getting too close!

Another issue is the authors obsession with the Berbers (Much as Travel books go on and on about the Kurds (As though no other minority exists in the country)) It gets to the point you would think the Berbers are some kind of exotic endangered species rather than just ordinary people who happen to live in the country. I mean you would never find a travel book of the UK going on and on like this about the Welsh or Scots or even Asians or black people for example. One other point is that the Arabic phrase section at the back has no Arabic translation so while you may learn a few words you will be stuck for trying to read any road signs or even learn the basic alphabet.

There is plenty of further reading provided, lots of advice, lots of listings of hotels (Though one thing worth pointing out they dont mention any prices and you should know that when they say budget in this book expect no toilet, awful washing facilities and bedding you wouldn't give to your pet. Believe me, pay the extra for a decent hotel) They also cover a fair bit of south Morocco (Though after reading this book why anyone would want to go there God alone knows)

All in all a very good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extensive detail, 20 July 2008
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
I visited Morocco in Spring this year and found that the level of detail in the Rough Guide to Morocco was impressive. The guide is straight forward and easy to use and was full of details I wouldn't have even thought of expecting from a guide book, but definitly appreciated reading. Packed with every detail from which airlines fly into Morocco, to examples of traditional Moroccan myths, it was the perfect companion for our trip! It gave us practical details, which were accurate and helpful and at the same time gave us an insight into the complex culture. I started using Rough Guides with a trip to Stockholm last December and now I'm hooked!

4.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW OF RG TO MOROCCO, 10 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
The guide is, as ever, informative with extremely detailed maps and chapters which are easy to navigate. It is a little out of date, but my friend had the more recent Lonely Planet and the maps in there were horrendous - very basic and often seemingly totally wrong! One negative point though- the pages of this guide do fall out easily -perhaps due to the Moroccan heat- but nonetheless rather annoying! And the LP didn't to this- so I'd suggest taking both!

4.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable guide to Morocco, 7 May 2000
By A Customer
I've just come back from Morocco, and this book was incredibly helpful. From finding hotels, to making sure I saw all the best sites, without the Rough Guide the whole trip would have been far more difficult. Buy it before you go.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful companion, 28 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
I used this while travelling alone in Morocco this year.
It was useful in Marrakech and the Atlas mountains, with some great places to see, and tips on how to get there.

Prior to buying this I had travelled to the coast and found it to be an accurate description when I checked back.

However I found it a little limiting, citing some places as the best to go, but stumbled upon others myself (ie best place to buy traditional cakes, or alcohol, or bags, or go for a hammam etc). I went to see the (recommended) 'cafe des epices' in the medina in marrakech, it was rammed full of 'people-who-were-there-to-say-they-were-there'. . . which is, personally, not why I go to look at things.

The mountains, monuments, architecture, scenery, food, people etc were stunning, and I was inspired by the pictures in the book. A fantastic book in all, as a base to exploring in your own way.

Go look for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this cover to cover!, 31 Mar. 2010
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to bag last minute flights to Marrakech and rapidly sought out a good travel guide; and was blown away by the quality and detail of this one! A first time traveller to Morocco (or any traveller, actually!) needs a guidebook, as the culture difference and language barriers can be quite disorientating. This book helped us source a good youth hostel and plan a thorough itinerary to squeeze in as many sights as we could!

Especially useful for women travellers as provides useful cultural tips to avoid unwanted attention.

Morocco is a beautiful country; enjoy it to the full with this guidebook, or you may miss some of the stunning historical features hidden down twisting alleyways...

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the wedge, 24 May 2011
Martin Qualters (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
Rough guides have a good reputation, and this one is no exception. OK details like hotels etc can change and outdate the book rapidly, but the basics like where to go and what to see are there. So great book,fantastic price, my only gripe is the print is really quite small (for my old eyes)

4.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide as usual, 13 April 2010
Jean Marc Benammar (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
Another very good produc by the Rough Guide team.

I used it for a business trip to Casablanca and it helped me a lot to discover the main features of the city.
I do not hesitate to recommend it for the various aspects of Moroccan life which are captured quite fairly.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10th nights in Morocco, 6 April 2009
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Morocco (Paperback)
Rought Guide provided us with cultural information as well as cafes and restuarants. Also good maps,background and historical facts making a more valid trip. A very helpful book alround.

The Rough Guide to Morocco
The Rough Guide to Morocco by Rough Guides (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01