TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 March 2003
Some other guidebooks tend to go a bit mad with the colour photographs, and skimp on the information. The Rough Guide majors on information, and has just a couple of small sections of photographs.
For me this is better, and certainly more useful if you want to know which bus goes to Hafnafjörður, for instance. If you want to look at pretty pictures there are other guides.
As always the Rough Guide is the one to get if you're touring around. The various regions of Iceland are described in some detail, with good advice about where to stay if you are driving around.
I've been to Iceland a couple of times. The information in this book seems to tie up pretty well with what I know, so I would be inclined to trust it, on the whole. I wasn't particularly impressed with the pronunciation guide though which seemed to have a couple of errors in it.
The book is well laid out, attractive, easy to follow, has reasonable maps, though not in colour, and is packed with relevant information.
But if you're planning to stay in or around Reykjavik on your trip, most of the book will be of no practical use to you though it may be of interest. If that's the case, I would recommend the excellent pocket-sized Footprint Guide to Reykjavik instead.
on 4 June 2001
A thoroughly well researched book with a valuable insight into the character of the country and its people. As students on a shoestring budget I found their accomodation section second to none (after having compared it to other travels books on the same country!). My friends and I hired a car whilst over there and the directions given in the Rough Guide book were even more accurate than the ones given by some Icelandic maps and, in some cases, even some Icelandic hoteliers - a real life saver. A must buy for all those people who want a hassle free trip to one of the most enjoyable holiday destinations ever!
on 4 August 2001
The Rough Guide is light and easy to carry around. The lay-out is clear with place names emphasised for easy location on the page. The main sections cover each region in turn and everything is relevant and useful. If you need some background information this is met by some well-written articles at the back of the Guide. I found the information remarkably accurate for the situations encountered on my recent visit eg the impromptu appearance of Þóröur Tómasson at the folk museum at Skógar (p114) and the description of the rooms at the Við Tjörnina restaurant in Reykjavík (p67). Although being up-to-date in most respects, there is no mention of the 5 minute shuttle service by air from a coastal airstrip at Bakki to Heimaey on the Westmann Islands. Arriving in a Partenavia P68 is a good way to see the Westmann Islands from the air.
The colour photographs are of the high quality expected of a Rough Guide and serve as an appetiser to the real thing. Don't miss the boat ride on Jökulsárlón.
The language section on p305 is useful but if you are going to attempt to speak Icelandic then try out your pronunciation on a helpful native first. Also check out the appropriateness of the greetings - some are for familiar use only.
Although the Rough Guide lacks the colourful glossy impact and the in-depth articles found in some of its competitors, it scores well on content and value-for-money.
on 6 March 2002
This guide came out just before I set out to Iceland, and thank G-d for that because I wouldn't know what to do without it. As usual, RGs are the best guides around, beating the competition hands down. (In this case I only found another guide to Iceland and it was very good - Insight to Iceland. It's full of great pictures and has a lot of information, though not as much as the RG).
Almost all of the information you'd need to travel around the country is there. Unfortunately, some of it is completely incorrect. For example, I found it quite disconcerting to be effortlessly driving through some roads that it said would be muddy even in the height of Summer. Or to be paying (much) higher prices for some attractions than stated in the guide.
This guide is good and though not to the RG standard I've been used to, it is still better than the competition. But the authors must do better to fix these minor, obvious, mistakes...
on 27 March 2007
Whilst this map is a good map for travelling around Iceland I was very disappointed that it doesn't cover any of the towns/city in detail. Would be much better if it had a detailed map of Rejkavik as I would think most people who hire cars pick them up from here or the airport. Now I need to buy another map that does cover Rejkavik.
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2007
We bought or borrowed various guidebooks to bring to Iceland but this was the one we used most as we travelled around the country.

It has a nice mix of practical details and interesting background. The maps are clear and the descriptions of places are accurate. The "highlights" at the start of each chapter are well chosen.

If you are only bringing one guidebook on your trip to Iceland, this is the one to have.
on 15 May 2010
Planning a long weekend to Iceland prior to the volcanic eruption I looked for a guide book that would give me the nitty gritty about this strange island of ice and fire. Rough Guides have always come up trumps in the past when I've been visiting places so Iopted for this one.The Rough Guide to Iceland (Rough Guide Travel Guides) It explores every nook and cranny of this edge of the Artic Circle country: its Viking past, its cultural development, its people and language and its strange geography. We had planned to base ourselves in Reykjavik and tour out to the various beauty spots and points on interest. The Guide offers a good choice of accommodation recommendations as well as great places to eat, whilst providing enough information to be able to explore the landscape should you wish to be so energetic. (Iceland's main road is one continous loop). I found this book did not disappoint but seemed to have an obsession about the control that the State has on alcohol. OK, so its booze is expensive but it's not the only country where that is the case.
For anyone who doesn't know Iceland this is a definitive read at an excellent price.
on 7 July 2009
The authors have literally being everywhere! I can not believe the depth of the coverage! And written so well..over the year i have slowly moved away from LP to RG and this choice confirms that even more! They even found the most amazing swimming pool in Dalvik! How you would even think to have found it in such a non-descript place..? Made our holiday, even with having a local friend!
on 9 July 2009
The Rough Guide to Iceland isn't up to the standards we have come to expect of rough Guides. Descriptions seemed to be what the writer expected to see if he or she actaully went there rather than the realities we saw, others were simply out of date. Disappointing.
on 16 November 2009
Bought this map of Iceland for a forthcoming trip. Very good showing everything very clearly. Being rainproof is certainly a big plus as we are expecting some rainy days.