5.0 out of 5 stars This book kept me sane!
I don't normally post customer reviews but I felt really strongly about this book. Many of the pregnancy books on the market talk about medical or what is best for baby and all of them have their place. What I feel takes this book to another level is the fact that sometimes in pregnancy you don't feel fabulous and this image of gliding through your pregnancy on a pink...
Published on 4 April 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairly Informative and Very Amusing
Having stocked up on various pregnancy books this was the most relaxed book and I feel that I have now covered all bases having purchased Miriam Stoppard, What to Expect and The Rough Guide. I use them all for different things but read my "week" in the Rough Guide avidly every Sunday. Definitely Recommended.
Published on 21 Aug 2001

‹ Previous | 117 18 19 20 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 29 Aug 2006
Lainey (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth (Rough Guides Reference Titles) (Paperback)
The perfect read when you are pregnant - warm, funny, sensitive, positive and reassuring. Loved the week by week sections and her observations on scaremongering. It did lack some medical fact, but I don't get the impression that the author wanted to go too far down that route - there are other books to do that. A really good laugh and leaves you in a good place about your pregnancy. Buy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Actually increases pregnancy/birthing anxiety!, 7 Mar 2013
I personally did not find this book funny or entertaining in the least. I read it at a time when I was looking for something that would help to reassure me during my pregnancy and calm my worries and fears about giving birth. On the contrary I actually found that, due to a total lack of any positive or constructive advice, it gave me a heightened feeling of anxiety regarding what I was going through and what was to come. The book was so negative from beginning to end (particularly in the sarcastic diary sections) that it had a negative impact on my way of thinking about pregnancy and giving birth - both of which were described as something of an inconvenience throughout. The narrative voice is bossy and regularly contradicts itself. At the beginning of the book you are promised that it has been written with the aim of helping to guide you but there are countless times when you feel that it is pressurising you towards a set of instructions or beliefs rather than giving an unbiased opinion. The book is also almost completely lacking any genuinely useful information regarding your body, what is happening from a scientific point of view, preparation for birth etc. Would definitely not recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book kept me sane during my pregnancy, 8 May 2003
When I found out that I was pregnant I was so eager to get my hands on a book that told me everything there was to know in every single anatomical, physiological, medical etc. way. My husband bought The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth and at first I was disappointed because it doesn't show you little pictures of developing embryos, lists every little ailment you might be suffering from and what it might mean or tells you what you should or shouldn't be experiencing. As a first time mum-to-be I probably didn't want the "Rough Guide" but the "Exact Guide". I bought some more literature which gave me exactly that and found that I appreciated the endless but pretty boring and patronising lists of symptoms, baby development, pregnancy diets etc. but I really enjoyed the Rough Guide. It coveres everything you need to know in a very funny and reassuring manner with plenty of information on further reading, websites or support groups. The diary style might not suit everybody who just wants to look something up quickly. But the book contains an accurate and comprehensive index and reference section which are far better than those in some "bigger" and allegedly more scientific books I read.
I read and re-read all of the chapters so many times for the sheer pleasure of enjoying the humour they are written with. This woman makes me laugh out loud and she even manages to make you feel less guilty about those diet slip-ups and frantic mood swings your other halves have to put up with!
This book helped me stay the person I was before I got pregnant in terms of personality and sense of humour and I didn't turn into a nursery decorating, calcium units counting freak.

2.0 out of 5 stars the rough guide to pregnancy and birth, 30 Mar 2009
Was quite dissapointed with this book. Did not find it particularly informative and presents more as a fictional book rather than book of facts. Some people may enjoy the story telling nature but if you want advice and facts regarding pregnancy this is not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 28 Mar 2008
informative, forward looking, easy to digest, non-judgmental, amusing... all in all a useful companion to a life-changing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars rough pregnancy guide, 17 Dec 2003
By A Customer
excellent a more laid back approach, made me feel at ease with my pregnancyBR>A must to anyone that is expecting!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars factual and funny, 2 July 2009
A. Sharpe (Edinburgh,UK) - See all my reviews
By far the best "guide book" for a first-time pregnant woman- really witty and educational at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 23 Aug 2014
My wife loves this book she said it is so much better to read than anything she has read about pregnancy

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny - if you like this sort of thing, 25 Mar 2009
Well I have certainly read better books on pregnancy, but this is well-written with a tongue-in-cheek approach and will restore your sense of humour during a long pregnancy!

It is quite informative and breaks your pregnancy down into weeks and links that week to various ailments/complaints/tests etc.

I wouldn't recommend that this is the only pregnancy book you read as it is more light-hearted and less medical than you may require. But certainly consider it if you want to read something a bit lighter and funnier and something to flick through and refer to as the weeks go by.

My personal recommendation for THE pregnancy book - and I read about 4 from the vast array available - is "What to Expect when you're Expecting". It's somewhat "American" but extremely informative and no-nonsense. I have used it throughout my whole pregnancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for All Pregnant Parents, 17 Sep 2014
Bought for my daughter, she loved the practical down to earth style of the Author.

‹ Previous | 117 18 19 20 | Next ›

The Rough Guide to Pregnancy and Birth (Rough Guides Reference Titles)
Used & New from: £0.01