5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.............. Nice!
Published on 21 Nov 2006 by Kevin Mcclure

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this really true to the Rough Guide format?
Published on 13 Sep 2006 by Simon Rudkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm.............. Nice!, 21 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Jazz (Rough Guide Music Guides) (Paperback)
This is the best jazz guide on the market. Ian Carr has an unassailable position as one of the best jazz writers in print. His biography of Miles Davis is superb and I would advise anyone who wants to appriciate the context of Miles' career and his development of musical styles to read that book, it is wonderful for existing fans and a brilliant introduction for those who do not already know his work. Here the three authors give us the opportunity to explore the world of jazz, not via a didactic single route but by giving us details and insights into a reasonably comprethensive list of jazz. It is true that these insights are not always the same for each artist nor do they necessarily offer a consistent historical context for every entry but that for me is a strength in such a book, I am also credited with the ability to do much of the exploration for myself. Musical enjoyment is after all a rather subjective process. I don't want anyone, however knowledgable, telling me in what order I should develop my musical appreciation in any genre.

It took me a long time to start seriously listening to Miles Davis, for insatnce, when I started to get into jazz about 10 years ago. There was so much written and said about him and I was being told which albums I should start with and so forth, with the result that Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way were amongst the last of his albums I bought and I do owm the vast majority of them.

So use this as a took to find your way around jazz and to make leaps from one school of jazz to another this will help develop your ear and challenge you preconceptions about what is and is not jazz. Hmmm..... nice!

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this really true to the Rough Guide format?, 13 Sep 2006
Simon Rudkin - See all my reviews
I don't think it is! I've always found the Rough Guides to destinations fantastic. When visiting a new country they provide an introduction, a guide, a well-considered set of pointers to the must-see and must-do. As a new arrival in the world of jazz, this book just doesn't do that at all. It's a straight alphabetical compendium and tells you nothing about history, styles or any useful background. I'm sure it's great for a jazz-buff, but for a beginner, it's baffling. Why not the structure of say the Rough Guide to Reggae, but without that volume's lack of proof-reading?

The Rough Guide to Jazz (Rough Guide Music Guides)
The Rough Guide to Jazz (Rough Guide Music Guides) by Brian Priestley (Paperback - 27 May 2004)
Used & New from: 10.94