5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Lonely planet guide
I have lived in Switzerland now for 2 years and have both this and the lonely planet guide. I find this one much more enjoyable to use. It has the same level of basic information but offers much more insight and additional information. LP by comparison is very dry. I wud rate this 5 stars vs 3.5 for LP and definitely go for the Rough Guide as a first port of call.
Published on 8 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other Rough Guides
but I couldn't find anything better for Switzerland.

I love Rough Guides but I was frankly disappointed with the Switzerland book. It was just missing some of the essentials that others books had like where is a laundry or internet cafe and marking that on the map rather than just giving an address.

And the accommodation suggestions were not as...
Published on 22 Jun 2006 by wilees

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Lonely planet guide, 8 April 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will enhance your experience of Switzerland, 18 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This is a beautifully written description of Switzerland by someone who knows and loves the country. Even if you already know the country well you will find that this book enhances your experience next time you go back. It will make you want to be there!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for those on a budget, 14 Jan 2003
I would recommend this book to anybody on a budget. We stayed in both Geneva and Zurich and found that we got to see a lot more than we would have without the R.G. The book doesn't concentrate on expensive art galleries and opera houses. Instead you get to find out about real places. How else could we have seen the "Smurf’s village" in Geneva - actually a group of bizarrely designed modern buildings!
In addition, reading about the history, the culture and the people you visit add greatly to your holiday.
To get the most out of your holiday, I would definitely recommend this Rough Guide book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other Rough Guides, 22 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Switzerland (Rough Guide Travel Guides) (Paperback)
but I couldn't find anything better for Switzerland.

And the accommodation suggestions were not as useful as in other RGs. And there is less information of interest i.e. local facts, anecdotes and history.

Hopefully, RG will address these in the next edition. I do note that Lonely Planet book was not good either and both are a bit out of date published 2003 / 4.

But, it got me around Switzerland in one piece and I will still be buying RGs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide!, 7 Jun 2006
P Fan "Electronics Guru" (London) - See all my reviews
Have had it for several years now. Used it on both trips to Switzerland. Extreamly helpful.

Offers a lot of additional background information, legends, stories, histories, etc. They are a joy to read.

I found there aren't so many maps, especially for small towns, can be a bit difficult to orientate sometimes. So took a star off.

Overall, an excellent guide! You won't need any other guides to travel to Switzerland.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book for Beginners, 22 Feb 2006
If you have know other books on Switzerland then quite possible yuo won't need to buy anymore, very good facts and also maps, handy size.
I bought Austria & Switzerland from the same series...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one, 9 Mar 2004
This is the best guide which I can find in bookstores.

The Rough Guide to Switzerland (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Switzerland (Rough Guide Travel Guides) by Matthew Teller (Paperback - 29 May 2003)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available