4.0 out of 5 stars a fun way for a complete beginner to make a start
Published on 15 Mar 2009 by S. Pennant

Published 11 months ago by Teni Atriani

4.0 out of 5 stars a fun way for a complete beginner to make a start, 15 Mar 2009
S. Pennant (Oxford) - See all my reviews
I bought talk now learn burmese because I am going to the Thai/Myanmar border and wanted to learn some basic burmese before I get there. It has an addictive style with games to help you learn, so I have found it very easy to use and am picking things up. HOwever I wish it had a few more useful phrases on, it's quite limited. But hopefully having made a start and got used to hearing the language before I go will help me to learn faster when I get there, and it is fun to use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good book but uses a different romanization system, making it less useful, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Talk Now Learn Burmese: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
While this is a helpful book, it has a drawback that it uses a different romanization system than other books. Although there is no one single widely used or official designated romanization system in Burmese (as in Chinese), the best Burmese langauge books use a system developed by Okell. Lonely Planet's phrasebook also uses this system. Having become used to it, it is now very difficult to use this book. I would suggest to stick to "introduction in Burmese" by Okell or try the "Burmese by ear" series that are available for free on the internet.