5.0 out of 5 stars My introduction to Nederlands
Published on 17 Feb 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Does this really teach Dutch?
Published on 3 Jan 2003 by donald duck

2.0 out of 5 stars Does this really teach Dutch?, 3 Jan 2003
This review is from: Talk Now! Learn Dutch (CD-ROM)
The answer to the question is no. The CD rom is simply a talking dictionary of a limited number of objects, although they are quite useful such as shopping and numbers. It does not even tell you how to speak or write a sentance or even put one together. So if you did go the the Netherlands you would only be able to say single words, mainly nouns such as cucumber or trousers, and probably not understand a lot of Dutch.
You can benefit from the CD rom by listening to the speakers saying the names of objects and you copying. But it's really not worth it. Some of the games are quite fun but they just test vocabulary.
A cassette and book are far better because they will contain more than what this CD includes. I recommend Dutch In Three Months (by Hugo) of the brand new updated Teach Yourself Dutch (the new one has a picture of a tulip field on the front, it came out on 1st Jan. 2003). With these you will actually be able to string a sentance together and learn a whole lot more and they cost about the same.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the basics, 15 Sep 2002
Travis Powell (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Talk Now! Learn Dutch (CD-ROM)
I found that this software is very simplistic. It tends to emphasize simple vocabulary by repetition and games. While it does teach some phrases it does not touch upon grammar, sentance structure, etc. It does provide a good springboard into the Dutch language but it may leave you wanting more detail. On the plus side it is very user friendly and you will have no trouble getting started.

5.0 out of 5 stars My introduction to Nederlands, 17 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Talk Now! Learn Dutch (CD-ROM)
I bought this CD about 12 months ago as my partner is Dutch and I had a hankering to learn the language. Having done nothing with it (and been frustrated by other methods of learning) I had a go at the thing last week. With 5 or 6 hours effort my vocab is much better and I even took her to a Belgian resturant last week, ordered in Nederlands - and got what I ordered. Brilliant.
Tot Ziens

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy if you have Windows 7., 10 May 2013
This review is from: Talk Now Learn Dutch: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
It is completely useful for most modern laptops and is only compatible with Vista and the operating system that came before it. As such it has limited use - if at all. While I was able to install it successfully I only had access to the route menu so it was a complete waste of money. It does say on the actual cover of the product which operating systems it is suitable for but I don't remember this being prominent in the product description on Amazon. It should be specified more clearly, as most people would assume that computer software would be compatible with Windows 7 given the latter's ubiquity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and Easy, 18 Aug 2010
I recently came back from a break in Amsterdam and before I went I bought this CD to learn some basics. It proved really useful as although most of the Dutch speak good English they appreciated that I had taken the time and effort to learn their language. I probably used the CD for a few hours over the course of three weeks but found that it was really easy to pick up the key words and phases I needed for my trip like ordering in a restaurant and asking for directions. I would recommend this CD to anyone who gets easily bored with language learning as its fun to use and you pick up the language quicker than other learning methods I have tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Execellent learing aid and great fun., 19 Dec 2007
Andrew Kirtland (UK) - See all my reviews
You need a structured training course too, but it's an excellent addition and great fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for beginners, 16 Sep 2004
By A Customer
dutch is a very hard language to learn and i found this helped me with the pronounciation, it is very basic and ideal for the complete beginner.

2.0 out of 5 stars quality of product looks like a poor quality copy rip in my opinion?, 9 Nov 2013
give it a miss, there is better out there, getting product to run on pc is a pain only certain chapters will open

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners of Dutch, 15 Feb 2013
This is an ideal product for beginning students of the Dutch language. I would highly recommend this software for anyone interested in starting to learn Dutch.

1.0 out of 5 stars another opinion, 19 Jun 2009
can't believe some of the comments here; this product is truly dreadful ... though admittedly I haven't spent too long using it as the inane pauses where you have to wait for the program to say 'ja' or 'nee' after each word became unbearable after not too long at all. Seems to teach a very limited amount of vocabulary and not much else. Sadly most computer computer learning language products are all too gimmicky, however this takes it to another level