on 3 March 2010
This is brilliant, just what I needed. I've been trying to find where my ancestors lived, but the addresses just seemed not to exist.I found one straight away on the very first look at the book out of the packaging, and I'm looking forward to going through the rest tonight. The book is nicely printed, and the 'old' look coloring to the pages adds to its charm. Great value.
on 17 December 2009
I am so pleased I bought this. A good trip down memory lane to see where my parents and grandparents lived when they were young. Very good value for money. A nice little bit of London history.
on 26 February 2009
Wow. From the moment I first opened the A-Z I found it the clearest street mapping I had ever seen. The clear and easy to read layout of the streets makes it. Also the Index of Streets and selected buildings has no end of use. There is a Theater map of the West End; List of Hospitals and Medical Institutions; and Full Index of Tube and Rail Stations. Full (2 page) London (and surrounding areas) Rail Connections and another (2 page) Full Tube Map inside with a quick reference on the back cover. Well worth the money.
on 20 December 2013
As with the small scale modern London A-Z the streets are crowded together and the mock-aged paper colour does not help matters. However, with a magnifying glass, it is a useful research tool when looking for the pre-WWII locations of your ancestors where the streets may no longer exist. Alternatively, unless you are really interested in historical street maps, you may feel you would be better off searching online for an approximate location. Once located you can then perhaps purchase the correct large scale old ordnance survey map.
on 1 October 2007
a very good atlas, good handy size, easy to read reference, and clear and up to date road/station/building points. bought this for use in the car and has not let me down. thought it might be squishy in between pages, but isnt at all.
on 26 December 2008
Every Londoner should own this book, and should buy an updated version whenever one is available. Street-by-street maps and information get you where you need to go, whether you've lived here a week or a lifetime. Easy to read (even I can understand it, and that's saying something), and handy to carry, the A-Z is a must.
on 6 August 2012
I got this to aid my Family research project. So many of the streets that they lived in in North London have now disappeared. This book complements my old Ordnance Survey maps by putting names to the streets. The streets and names are all there and the census forms and house moves they made now make more sense.
on 6 September 2003
I know its the usual London A-Z formatted book - but this version is very SIMPLE to use, CLEAR in print and very EASY to carry around.
on 18 February 2009
I bought this atlas because I was fed up with our old copy - being hardback and well-used it fell apart and was held together with sticky tape. Needless to say the use of a spiral wire for the spine (nicely finished in the Bauhaus style with a white, plastic coating) solves that problem entirely. Also the atlas is well-weighted, fits in the hand and can be easily folded back to display a single page at a time. A minor usability issue is that roads tend to get broken at the edge of the page; however I've developed the work-around of either moving my eyes to the adjacent page or flipping the atlas over to reveal the next page. Sadly this is less effective when moving vertically off of a page and so for the time being I've restricted myself to travelling horizontally. Apart from this though this is a top-notch atlas that contains all of the streets that I know of in London.
on 18 February 2014
I bought this London Street Atlas in conjunction with Booths Maps of London Poverty, 1889 as it is easier to read than the Poverty Map. It also shows how the area changed as some of the 1889 roads were no longer there. I found it fascinating looking up various places I know so well and would recommend it to anyone researching their family history in London.