on 6 February 2012
A excellent history of the Queens West Surrey in WW1 I was looking to Trace my grandfathers WW1 experances & while I could only narrow it down to 3 battalions that was not the fault of this excellent history. In fact it's thanks to the detail in this book that I was able to narrow it down so closely. Their is a lot off detail on the action's carried out by this regiment with a chapter on each of the individual battalions. Only problem is not the authors fault but a reality of the records in that only officers get a mention with a few & I mean a few off the other ranks.
Strong recomend for this book.
on 11 September 2013
All though harrowing a very interest in site to the 1st world war.
My Great Uncle has a couple of mentions in it and therefore gave me an insight to his experences
as I am working on my family history.
on 17 March 2015
a good book writen by somebody who was in the great war' who let me know what my grandfather went through culminating in his death in july 1918.
my thanks to the publishers who reprint these books.
on 17 October 2013
My grandfather and his brother joined "The Queen's" and the East Surrey Regiments in 1903 and served right through WW1. This book helped me to understand what they went through.
on 25 April 2013
The book provides an easily accessible account of what was my grandfathers regiment.
Though the horror is understated it still leaves you stunned at the sacrifice of a generation.
on 16 December 2014
Well researched and a good read but a bit staccato in that it jumps between various periods with little explanation