on 8 May 2006
As a newer knitter, I wanted some simple projects to work on that would teach me some new skills, allow me to gain further knowledge, and produce something that was more than just a scarf. This book looked intriguing so I got it and chose a project based mostly on the yarn that I had available. Now that I completed that project, I've gone through and tried to find a next project, but I'm at loss.

Pretty much every project in this book is the same thing with very little variation. For example, what is essentially the same bag, but knitted in different dimensions or two pieces of two other bags put together so you have a seed stitch front and plain back.

I think you'd be better off browsing this book in a store or library and seeing if it's worth buying before buying it blind like I did. Or better yet, just search for bag patterns online and get a far wider variety of both free and inexpensive patterns.

I give this book two stars for it's layout (I really like the spiral binding), multiple pictures of the projects, and clear instructions, but I didn't learn anything and haven't really felt inspired to do any more of the patterns in the book.
on 1 September 2006
I love this book and for those who have never followed a pattern it is clear and easy to follow the instructions. For the more adventurous it is also easy to adapt these designs and make them your own. It even has a spiral bound spine which means it lays flat preventing that annoying closure of the book whilst your knitting!

thoroughly recommended.
on 29 December 2004
This is a beautifully produced book, well worth buying if like me you want a book using wool which is easily available in the UK shops(Rowan). The bags to knit seem well within the ability range of most knitters, practical yet very attractive.
My only gripe is that although the cover is produced for the English market with English spellings, the rest of the books has US spellings and terminology (eg color rather than colour, gauge rather than tension). This could have been easily avoided with better proof-reading.
on 26 January 2010
Fantastic book! First of all I thought I had made a mistake by purchasing the American version of the book. However, the author ensures that both terms are used throughout, so us Brits don't get confused!

Truely inspirational! The author even takes time out to teach some basic design techniques in GREAT detail, which I have failed to master with other books (including several beginner's guides), i.e. intarsia (adding coloured areas).

Highly recommended, easy to follow patterns to make funky and modern bags, and this is coming from a fairly new knitter... now the only question is, which bag to knit first?

PS The paperback version is published in the UK.
on 13 April 2012
I purchased this book at Emma King's workshop in John Lewis where Emma guided us through making our own bags and showing us how to add beads and lining. Also gave us the confidence to experiment with wool, blending in different colours and textures of wool. I have since made many of the bags in this book and given them as Christmas and Birthday presents. As a competent knitter, but mainly of clothing, the book has inspired me to follow the template of the patterns in the book, but also enlarge and to use elements of one pattern with those of another. Whilst the wool mentioned in the book is Rowan (Emma is employed by Rowan), I have also used other brands of wool and mixed and matched. Many of the bags in the book can be made within a couple of hours (with extra for lining and finishing off), so quite easy to knock up a bag for a gift or special occasion quite quickly. It states in the book to double up on some of the wool - this is not always required, except for the 4 ply or kidsilk haze.

I have since purchased her 2nd book (25 more bags to knit), but have not yet started on these. I have however noticed that they are different so can't wait to start on them.
on 23 February 2006
I love this book, and am always buying more wool, as I want to make loads from it! The only thing that stops it from being a 5* book, is the lack of lining options, as several of the bags I have had to make linings for, as they would have stretched otherwise There are loads of super patterns though, that all use smallish quantities of wool, so all those odments can come in useful! It does use Rowan wool, but I have rarely used the specified wool, as the size doesn't matter so much like a sweater! Hope this review helps you!
on 26 April 2010
So far, i have only tried to make one of the bags from this book. I have to say I was a little disappointed - perhaps it is because I used an alternative yarn to that suggested - but for me the whole point of purchasing this book was to produce items at reasonable cost - and to use oddments of yarn left over from other projects. There are a number of other patterns in the book that I am keen to try and I am hoping that I get better results. The book is beautifully presented with clear photographs and the instructions are concise.
on 6 May 2012
Bought this book from Amazon having seen a lovely bag a friend knitted. I showed the book to her and she was so impressed with the variety of easy through to more difficult patterns, she also ordered a copy for herself and has subsequently purchased other books by the same author.
on 30 September 2011
Really good instructions and versatile items for all occasions.
Can't wait to get started- clear instructions. Brilliant little book. Ideal present.
on 23 May 2015
I love this book!! a bit battered and bruised but it's still in great shape and it would have cost a whole lot more brand new so I'm happy! :)