5.0 out of 5 stars the best way to swim....
Published on 18 Feb 2010 by C. M. Spedding

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for all
Published on 13 Jan 2012 by Uberdude

5.0 out of 5 stars the best way to swim...., 18 Feb 2010
C. M. Spedding (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book...well written, with great photographs and easy directions. It teaches you that swimming need not be a struggle, that it is really all about being at one with the water around you. The book is easy to dip into and as calm and peacefully designed as the swimming ethos it promotes! Highly recommended to anybody considering learning to swim from scratch or - perhaps even more importantly - for those who think they can swim already but know deep-down that they need to streamline their style and change their attitude.

4.0 out of 5 stars improve your swimming strokes, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
I've been dipping in and out of this book between swimming sessions. It's nicely formatted into separate, detailed sections for each stroke with clear, good quality photos. Some of the advice is a little unconventional, as it's emphasis is on using the Alexander Technique whilst swimming so as not to strain the neck and joints. Some of these tweaks and changes have definitely helped me to improve my stroke (especially front crawl, as that was always my weak spot). Others I'm struggling to incorporate into my swimming routine - old habits die hard. I don't think this is book is for the experienced/sports swimmer - it definitely emphasises Alexander Technique over sports/speed techniques. But, if like me, you like to swim as part of your exercise routine, and you'd like to improve your stroke and become more confident in the water, then I would definitely recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for all, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
If you're looking to improve on your basic swimming then this isn't probably the right book for you. It is pretty basic about techniques and does cover a lot of ground, but for those who are technically minded / wanting detail or really want to push themselves further then you will need something else. I would simply recommend this book to anyone wanting to, or currently only just learning to swim any of the basic strokes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful guide to swimming, 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
I have read this book and will try out the different drills. I am trying to learn front crawl at the moment, and bought the book after seeing a video by Ian Cross (a student of Shaw's) on YouTube. It explains the drills and the techniques it tries to teach very well, and has plenty of photos. It is a book for people who want to improve their health (including posture) through swimming. My only disappointment was that it could do with an accompanying DVD or web site or app to augment the still photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars master the art of swimming, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
The book orderd was called master the art of swimming.The reason i got this was book because i had just sarted to learn to swim,i found this book very useful. Lots of good tips and trainnig given to hlep you a long with your swimmng practise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, just needs to be impermeable!, 25 Sep 2010
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
Great stuff. Steven Shaw reminds us that being in water can be a pleasure. Using this book I'm gradually learning to trust the water more and I think it would be useful to good swimmers who are willing to "take a step back" and to those who find swimming effortful (I got it as I'm a student Alexander Technique teacher just starting training for triathlon). Lovely colour pictures (I actually want to learn butterfly from looking at them) but I wish the book had come with a suitably sized resealable plastic folder - using it at poolside has obvious logistical issues!

5.0 out of 5 stars An alternative approach to all four swimming strokes, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
As a 61 year-old with back problems who had never been able to swim convincingly or with much enjoyment, I started going to Adult Improver courses at our local pool, thinking that swimming would be good form of non load-bearing exercise. After a year or so I found that whilst my swimming had undoubtedly improved, it was by no means fluent and I found some of the front and back crawl arm action was producing a lot of shoulder and upper back pains, which was not what I needed at all! It occurred to me that there might be a different approach which used the body more kindly. After a little searching on the web I came across the Shaw Method which emphasizes efficiency and good use of the body over speed, and in 2011 I bought this book. I tried to apply what I read to my swimming and I can honestly say it has been transformative for me and I can now do a nice easy back crawl and front crawl without any strains: it is a much more leisurely stroke which makes full use of the energy-conserving glide, and I find I can do a length using 30% fewer strokes than in the conventional way, but without any loss of time. And for those who think the Shaw Method is slow, try watching Sun Yang, whose front crawl style looks to be very close to Shaw Method, in which the power stroke from the forward arm doesn't start until the recovering arm enters the water. I am now attempting to learn Shaw butterfly, something I would previously have thought was inconceivable for a man of my age.

It certainly has worked for me so I can thoroughly recommend this book both to beginners and those like me who have always struggled and thought they would never be able to swim properly, and also to experienced swimmers who are beginning to find their conventional strokes uncomfortable or tiring. The book is clearly written and very thoroughly illustrated with photos. It may also be worth considering Shaw's dvds from his website [...] You will find many useful sample clips from these on Youtube

3.0 out of 5 stars seems abit basic, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
This seems a bits simplistic if you have been swimming for a while. If you are injured or trying to master basic technique you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning to swim, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Master the Art of Swimming (Paperback)
Nothing is ever perfect! But the explanations linked to clear pictures are very helpful in my attempt to improve my strokes

ARRAY(0xb13e1c9c)

Master the Art of Swimming
Master the Art of Swimming by Steven Shaw (Paperback - 1 Jun 2009)
7.99