5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable little shoes and boots

Published on 11 Feb 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice 'coffee table' knitting book, 11 Feb 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book because it looks lovely in the photo, and indeed it's even better when you get your hands on it. However, I was a bit disappointed with some of the bootee finishing on some of the photos. I concluded that this was due to the extreme close up nature of the photographs. However, a bigger problem was that I found a major error in the very first pair I tried to knit. As another reviewer has commented, the designs use 5 or 6 basic construction techniques, so I was able to use the instructions for a different but similarly constructed pair to fix my problem. Subsequently, I have spotted some other pattern errors. This could put off a less confident knitter, and took some of the shine off for me. I also thought it would have been good to have diagrams to show how bootees should be assembled, but to be fair, there isn't a great deal of room for variation.
I think that the books main strength is it's inspirational value, and browsing through the pictures you will have problems deciding which to knit first. The lush photography and design ideas gained this book an extra star in my review, but for patterns alone I would have given it 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable little shoes and boots, 6 Feb 2003
Well presented spiral bound book with beautiful large photographs of each project. Knitted mostly in Rowan and Jaeger yarns, (one 50g ball will knit up 3 pairs of pretty cotton shoes). From traditional bootee styles to wacky two-colour jester boots with bells, animal print slippers, patterned socks and tiny ballet style shoes; there is such a variety you'll find it hard to choose a favourite pair. Styles for boys and girls, modern or traditional with a variety of stitch styles and a choice of 3 sizes 0-3, 3-6 and 6-9 months. I'd recommend this book for a knitter with some experience, although the simpler patterns aren't too challenging. If you like knitting small projects which are completed in an evening, then this book will provide plenty of enjoyment and charming gifts for small babies.

3.0 out of 5 stars baby bootees, 20 Nov 2002
By A Customer
If you enjoy collecting knitting pattern books, then this large format, spiral bound edition will be an attractive addition to your collection. But, it is expensive and lotsof the bootees are repeated with only minor pattern changes, I think I counted about five.It looks pretty but could have been more compact and easier to carry on journeys and cheaper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun knitting, 23 Mar 2004
A. Østmo - See all my reviews
Even for those of use who are not fluent in english this is a great book. Easy-to-follow instructions and good pictures. It gives you ideas for booties you can knit and design - only the sky is the limit. Thanks for a great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Baby Bootees to Knit, 17 Aug 2004
Amanda L. Hatton (Derby, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Beautiful designs and lovely ideas for shoes and socks. Does recommend designer yarns that could be expensive and when I tried to match a tension square with a different yarn I ended up with very tiny shoes, even though the tension matched with the one specified in the pattern. Each shoe only took one evening to knit, sew up and finish. I think this is a good book for experienced knitters who are prepared to make substitutions and experiment with yarns and needles.
I do wish it gave instructions on how to knit with 4 needles as some of the socks require this old-fashioned technique.
Overall though a beautiful book and one which I am sure I will use many times and get my money's worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 3 July 2010
This review is from: 50 Baby Bootees to Knit (Complete Craft Series) (Paperback)
When I had babies - a long time ago - all bootees were white with white ribbons which got lost.
These bootees are fun, colourful, enjoyable to make, and, I'm told, wonderful to receive.
There something in it to suit every taste - classic white lace, little slippers, funky boots - with clear and easy to follow instruction and great pictures so you know exactly what you're aiming for.
The only problem I had (which I know is my fault!) is that I didn't always do a tension square and some of the separate soles came out the wrong size. But this is, as I say, my error. It's really worth doing the tension square even though the designs are so appealing that impatience takes over.
Some of the yarns recommended are for hand wash only. I have substituted these with machine washable yarns . . . which means a tension square is an absolute necessity but worth it in the long run.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful patterns, but difficult to interpret, 27 Dec 2007
I found the patterns in this book to be written in quite a confusing style that makes them difficult to interpret. Even my mother-in-law, who is a very experienced knitter, found some of the instructions unclear and hard to understand.

It is well worth persevering, however, as the patterns are gorgeous and, even for a beginner knitter like myself, fairly easy to knit once you've got your head around how Zoe Mellor "thinks".

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlimited bootees, 12 April 2012
The book is titled 50 Baby Bootees to knit, but if you use a little imagination you can adapt the patterns to your own designs. There are several base models of bootee to choose from ranging from simple styles for beginners through to more complex patterns for the more experienced. All of the patterns are easy to follow and are well illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars 50 Baby Bootees to Knit, 3 May 2010
This a good book for ideas. Plenty of scope for knitters at all levels, and simple to follow instructions.I like the idea of the various sizes which means that the patterns in the book will be used for a good while yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 5 Jun 2014
Patters beautifully displayed. All instructions are clear and where American terminology is used it is clearly transposed with English is brackets and more detailed instructions for all stitches are given in the back of the book. Gorgeous book even suitable for new starters as a gift. I only intended purchasing one as a gift and was so impressed I had to have a copy myself. I expect to purchase many more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

50 Baby Bootees to Knit (Complete Craft Series)
50 Baby Bootees to Knit (Complete Craft Series) by Zoe Mellor (Paperback - 5 Jan 2009)