4.0 out of 5 stars Good Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Entertainment, 24 Aug 2011
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Great Escapes (Paperback)
A slightly mixed bag of a book, but with lots to enjoy. At the top end, you have stories such as Helen Simpson's beautifully-written account of an academic remembering his love affair with a German environmentalist, Amanda Craig's subtle tale of Polly (heroine of two of Craig's novels) watching her father in his dying days, or Rose Tremain's 'Man in the Water', where a widower frets about his capable daughter abandoning him. There are also some slightly lighter but also very enjoyable stories, including Elizabeth Buchan's 'Annie's Book' (about student sweethearts who meet again years later) or Deborah Moggach's witty take on a Whistler painting. At the worst, the stories can venture into rather banal chick-lit territory: Kathy Lette's silly story of a young girl who polishes off her elderly partner by feeding him too much dessert (a very cliched account of partnerships of different ages) or Lesley Pearce's touching but perhaps over-sweet account of a mother realizing how much she needs her daughters. It's also a shame that the Polly Samson story is not one of Samson's best (it's rather depressing if one thinks about it at any length), and Natasha Cooper's gory mystery, though well-written, appears to have wandered in from another book. But there's still lots to enjoy - very good reading for a long coach or train journey.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly uninspiring or readable, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Great Escapes (Paperback)
I'd assumed that the title 'Great Escapes' (a collection of short stories by well known writers) would be a really good summer/holiday 'read' that any reader would be transported into another world/life by the well written and unusual tales. What a let down! These are authors who are well known, talented with very readable full length novels but I reckon that short stories from amateur writers, students & children knock spots of these lame efforts.
I like short stories - Roald Dahl, Jefffrey Archer etc. but as I read this batch, I mentally gave each one marks out of ten - few achieved a high score as many of the stories were obviously contrived or pretentious. The most enjoyable being a retelling of 'what they knew', or from personal experience - advice all writers are regularly given.
Had these stories been my introduction to some of the contributers to 'Great Escapes' I doubt that I'd have wanted to read any more of their work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beach read...didn't put it down!, 10 July 2008
This review is from: Great Escapes (Paperback)
What a lovely collection...I wasn't sure if a short stories book would be ideal for my holiday as I usually like to have loads of typical chick lit books to take away with me. But this was a short haul break away and I needed something light for my bag - Great Escapes was perfect!
Snappy and humorous and I even shed a tear whilst reading one of them - very moving.
Well recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Occasional Read, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Great Escapes (Paperback)
I was eager to read something different that would broaden my horizons. Plus, I found the book cover tempting. There is no denying that I enjoyed the stories though I found some disappointing but maybe it was just that I was not in the perfect mood to enjoy them. It is not a book that I would rank top of my list of favourites anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read and present!, 28 July 2008
RC (Leicester (UK)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Great Escapes (Paperback)
I bought this for my mum when she was going on holiday and she loved it so much that I had a read as well. There is a good mix of stories - some make you laugh and other's tug on the heartstrings. I loved the retro feel to the jacket and have it facing out on my book shelf!

Great Escapes
Great Escapes by Kathy Lette (Paperback - 6 Jan 2008)
8.10