5.0 out of 5 stars great book for beginners
I'm a complete novice but already I have managed to knit the silk booties and the lavender bag. I will admit I did use some of the tutorials on youtube to demonstrate some of the harder stitches but the explanations given in the book are very good.
Published on 11 Oct 2010 by lizzie835

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so simple
Published on 19 May 2012 by Rach

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so simple, 19 May 2012
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
This is a beautifully produced book that's gorgeous to look at. However, the author's idea of simple and mine differ greatly. If you are a fairly new knitter, as I am, the patterns are very difficult to puzzle out, and some of the technique descriptions would benefit from more in depth explanations. So far I have only attempted one of the patterns and it was only with the help of a second 'how to' book (Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner by Aneeta Patel) and the occasional foray onto youtube that I was able to complete it.

The patterns are gorgeously photographed and I think with a bit (or quite a bit) more experience then these clothes will be lovely to make, but I feel overall that it is a case of style over substance and that if there had been more detailed patterns with more pictures of the pattern process broken down into stages then this book would have been truer to its title.

If you are a beginner do not buy this unless you have additional sources of information available to help you through.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for beginners, 11 Oct 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but good, 29 Mar 2010
J. Reid "squintywitch" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
This book does what it says on the cover. The patterns are simple and clear, and there's a reasonable variety. As other reviewers have mentioned, they start at newborn size which is generally a good thing - be warned, the newborn size is pretty small, and may not fit all babies, especially the little silk cardigan at the end of the book. There don't seem to be too many errors, but there is online support for the handful that I found.

Unfortunately the Jaeger yarns she uses are no longer widely available, so a little bit of work and swatching is required to find suitable substitutes. But on the whole, this is a good book suitable for anyone from advanced beginner upward, and certainly worth adding to your library if baby knits are your thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Mar 2011
E. Brown (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
I was drawn to this book by the pretty shoes on the cover, they were something I wanted to make, but upon opening it up and looking through the items on offer to knit, I soon became most disappointed. The pictures and colours are dull and uninteresting, they didn't inspire me to want to make anything; the whole book was pages of a few duplicated items which all looked like something from the 1950's. I have made the shoes and changed one of the patterns to fit my own design. Other than this, I don't think I will be trying anything else from the items on offer.
If I had able to view this book in a store, I would not have purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars so cute but easy to knit, 19 Sep 2010
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
I love this book. My grandaughter (4 months old) came to stay last night and arrived in a very olf fashioned hat that was a little small, it was all her mum had due to a change in the weather. Anyway I whipped up the hat in this book using some aran from my yarn stash and it has turned out just lovely. Now my grandaughter now had a lovley hat that will fit her for a good few month that would have cost about 5 in the local shops.

On the bad side I did make the bootees and didn't like them BUT I did make them in an alternative yarn so aybe it was the yarn I will try them again in much nicer yarn.
The patterns are easy to follow and great for a last minute present or in my case need (for a hat).
Sometimes I like to just flick through this book and look at the beautiful photos. I will be knitting most of the pattterns over time as they are easy to knit quick and sex transferable.

If I had one oan it would be I would like photo views of front and back of each garment.

lovely book the book would make a great present for a mum or granny/ grandad to be.
But it well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful knitting book, 4 Jun 2012
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
This is a beautiful knitting book full of simple patterns knitted in quality wools.
I have started knitting the garter stitch wrap top in pink and it is wonderfully easy to knit.
There is no need to be constantly looking at the pattern and i am able to watch TV while I knit.
An excellent purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Expensive, 2 Mar 2012
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
Compared with other baby knit books I have bought I decided this one was far to expensive for the amount of patterns in it and have therefore removed it from my wish list!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, not so modern, 20 July 2011
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
Was hoping this book may be a little more modern. The patterns are a little old fashioned. No guide to beginning knitting which is a shame but some gorgeous knits I can't wait to try!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 29 May 2010
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
Rowan knit books are in my opinion the best one can find. they make you want to sit down immediately and knit a pattern not only because of the pattern itself but because of the way they're presented, in loving , gently colored settings, beautifully photographed. the designs are simply beautiful and the directions easy to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Knits for Cherished Babies, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (Paperback)
A great book with lovely patterns for all sorts of occasions, although some of the yarns used may be difficult to source. I bought it to make bootees/shoes for my granddaughter, and my daughter particularly likes the idea of the cushion cover with her baby's initial on it. (Holiday knitting maybe?)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Simple Knits for Cherished Babies
Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight (Paperback - 21 July 2008)
9.99