on 29 March 2003
This is a really lovely book. It has clear instructions for knitting a variety of blankets. There are blankets to please the beginner and the experienced knitter. They will also delight a wide range of ages and tastes so you can make one for your baby, your teenager, your best friend and your nan! The instructions tell you what size each blanket will be and how many of each type of square to knit. There is a layout diagram for piecing the squares together and clear instructions for completing the edges. However the instructions also encourage you to be creative. The description for each square and the edging tells you the approximate amount of yarn required so if you decide that you want to have more of some squares and less or none of others or you want to make a bigger blanket then you can calculate how much yarn you will need to buy for your adjusted blanket design.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2004
Eagerly ripped open the package when the postman came and was immediately inspired. Straight off to the wool shop after breakfast and spent the rest of the weekend engrossed. Really easy to follow instructions and patterns, and each square knits up really quickly meaning you don't get bored doing the one piece. Can't wait to finish this one to start another!!!! A really well designed book (ringbinding so the pages stay open by themselves), with clear pictures of each square.
0Comment|163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2003
I bought Blankets and Throws to Knit as a Christmas treat to myself. All the designs are great and colourful. Just imagine all the colours you can experiment with. I have just completed the Building Blocks Afgan and was more than pleased with the final result. Cannot wait to get started on the Picnic Afgan. My family have asked me to do some for them also. So just think of all the fun I will have trying different colours.
I highly recommend this book.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2003
With all the colourful pictures of blankets and throws its hard to choose which to knit first! Just completing my first afghan blanket and wanting the weather to be good to take it on a picnic or get cold and wrap myself up in it! Debbie's clear instructions and helpful tips makes this a book that you can dip into and use a pattern for a cushion say, or do the whole blanket. All the bright colours may it a very attractive book and the use of patterns and design are just waiting for you to get those needles out and start clicking away.
on 26 January 2006
Easy to follow charts and instructions, but please note that this book is identical to 100 Afghan Squares to Knit by Debbie Abrahams but with a different publisher (Trafalgar Square). Blankets and Throws to Knit is cheaper!
on 4 February 2006
I too was anxious to get hold of this book, and waited eagerly for the post to arrive! I wasn't disappointed. It is truly a lovely and inspirational book. The colour and colour combinations were beautiful and the photographs detailed and excellent. I am a returner to knitting after 15 years but wasn't ever a very advanced knitter. But the instructions are very clear. There are lots of ideas that made me want to rush out and buy some wool to get started. And what more could you ask from a knitting book!!
on 8 August 2008
This book is addictive! I love knitting these blankets, the patterns are straightforward and you get a sense of accomplishment with every square created. The yarns are lovely to work with and the finished products are stunning. I cannot believe that I managed to finish three of these beautiful blankets as I have a rep for bags containing unfinished sweaters, but this method solves that one!
on 24 July 2009
I've only just started to learn to knit and saw this book at a friends house and was so inspired by the beautiful photos inside that I had to get my own copy. I've started on the sampler throw which is made up of different stitches, the instructions are clear and simple to follow although some of the projects do look as though they are aimed at more advanced knitters. I can honestly say that there wasn't a throw in the book that I didn't like and am looking forward to working through the more difficult ones.
on 8 January 2006
I'm new to knitting and wanted to try something other than jumpers and scarves. The designs in this book cover all ages and occasions with very clear detailed designs - each square has a close up photograph and a colour graph diagram. Each throw/blanket has a diagram showing the order of squares, clearly numbered. Throughout the book the yarns are Rowan but at the back is a guide for each yarn giving weight, length and fibre content so if you can't get the colour you need it's easy to look elsewhere or indeed if you want to buy the same kind of yarn from a cheaper producer. There's also a section on techniques, which is useful for beginners like me explaining intarsia knitting, knitting with beads and knitting with sequins to name but a few. Lastly there's conversion charts so UK/USA friendly.
on 3 March 2011
Although this is a lovely book, it is not for the novice knitter. Each project is a single entity, i.e. it is not possible to mix and match the squares. Many of the squares do not have a pattern as such, merely a chart to follow which, unless you have been knitting for a long time and are able to tell what the stitches are, is impossible to do. In my view too many of the patterns are in chart form. I am sure it wouldn't have been too difficult to write out the instructions for some of the simpler patterns so new knitters could have made brave attempts at knitting them. So lovely to look at, but not much use unless you are an expert knitter or particularly good at reading charts!
44 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse