on 24 February 2009
My wife and I learned to cook from an earlier edition of the Good Housekeeping step-by-step Cookbook, that was when we married 27 years ago. We were that impressed with this essential and easy to follow guide that when our children flew the nest we sent them on their way with a copy of the latest edition.
on 7 October 2007
Once again GH has put together a selection of simple to follow tasty recipes. This time they've combined this with a really comprehensive step-by-step technique section. Fantastic value and all recipes really do work. Oh okay I haven't had all 450 yet but give me a chance. I'm a bloke who doesn't really like cooking but this book has changed all that. I'll be giving to my Mum for Christmas so I can call her up in advance and subtly hint which meals I want when I visit her. Yum Yum.
on 8 January 2008
I have a previous edition of this book. It was a wedding present and is the only present I got that is still in regular use today.
It's fantastic for making the basics such as pancakes, quiche, jacket potatoes, stock, Victoria sandwich or pastry etc...
Srat with this before moving on to your Jamie's and Nigella's.
on 31 January 2008
I am a complete novice when it comes to cooking, but this has everything I could possibly need to know - and more!!
It has some great recipes, easy to follow, and tells you how to prepare just about everything!
on 12 February 2009
I was looking for the GH cookbook the same as the one I have to give my daughter at Christmas. I couldn't even begin to tell how invaluable mine has been. This step-by-step one caught my attention and thats the one she received as she has not long flown the nest and still learning alot of basics. She thinks it is wonderful and so easy to follow. Maybe next Christmas she'll be ready for the normal GH cookbook,I certainly haven't found any others that match up to them
on 30 September 2009
I have recently retired and have got hooked on the TV cookery programmes. I wanted to start new, healthier food and dispense with convenience foods. As a bit of a novice I have found this book absolutely brilliant at teaching the basics and providing some great recipes.
on 26 April 2009
I am a jaded cook having 2 hungry boys to constantly feed, but after being given this book, I have become inspired and we are all eating better because of it.

The recipes are really good - well they work ! Usually I cannot say this of my cooking ...

The only thing that would improve it, would be suggestions as to what to serve with the dishes.

Well worth the money in my opinion.
on 19 January 2010
great all round cookbook for everyone, a bible for beginners.perfect for my daughter-in-law who is just starting out.Explains why you do things.
on 6 May 2014
Buying this book I thought there would be nothing to fancy in the way of recipes. However apart from the very clear procedures in food preparation (excellent photos) there are indeed many excellent recipes or twists on more regular recipes - tarragon chicken with fennel, and cumin spiced gammon are two favourites. This would be an excellent present for folk who have little experience in a kitchen and could use help and guidance.
on 12 January 2010
My sister in law who neer cooked before loved it.... as did her husband.
Classic GHK!!!!