4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and helpful, 29 Dec 2004
William Cummings (Highlands of Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Renovations: The Complete Renovations (Paperback)
This book covers everything you need to think about if you're considering refurbishing or renovating your home. It doesn't go into great detail about how to do any particular task, but it does make you aware of all the things you ought to consider or know about before you make your design decisions.
Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat companion, 27 Jun 2009
Harry O'Lye (Dangleberryville, Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Renovations: The Complete Renovations (Paperback)
My house is a reasonably-sized erection, but we were wanting to make it bigger so my partner suggested we have an extension - nothing too fancy but enough to make it more satisfying. We toyed for a while whether to go for a long thin one at the rear, or more of a wider one spread across the back. In the end, thanks to this book, it enlightened us to other possibilities and in the end decided to go for a loft conversion. We had previously discounted this as our roof is the `wrong shape' - it slopes on three sides and were not aware that we could effectively whack on a gable end - this really opened up my eye. It was a painful process at first, getting people in and checking out my architecture, but once the drawings were done and submitted to the council, things really gathered apace, especially once the builder took my job in hand. He worked speedily and efficiently - always on the job when he said he would be - he certainly was an early riser and I can't stress how pleased I was to see him come like clockwork every morning round at mine. He took the gable end as far as it would go, making it a straight up and down and really opening up the space.

I'm thankful for this book giving me the idea and I'm really happy now that my gable end is up,

Home Renovations: The Complete Renovations
Home Renovations: The Complete Renovations by Paul Hymers (Paperback - 30 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01