5.0 out of 5 stars Maths explained, 12 May 2012
Parents in Touch - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Go Figure: The Marvellous Maths Workbook (Paperback)
As a teenager, I decided that maths was boring and completely incomprehensible - if I had read this book, I would have changed my mind! We all need maths in our daily lives and this book is designed to refresh thinking about maths. You can either dip into it, reminding yourself about such tricky topics as trigonometry, or start at the beginning with basic number work. All through, the explanations are clearly explained with examples. Then - you test your understanding with the quizzes which liberally besprinkle the book (one or more for every topic and answers are included). This book is an excellent way to help students revise and brilliant for those of us who find maths daunting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Maths Booster!, 5 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Go Figure: The Marvellous Maths Workbook (Paperback)
As a maths tutor I bought this book as an aid to help those children in the 11-14 age group understand some of the subject's basic concepts. It's nicely laid out chapters deal with subjects such as statistics, trigonometry, algebra and problem solving. It contains 100 maths quizzes which inform and entertain.

This book is very readable unlike so many maths books. It will help pre-GCSE students gain confidence in the subject. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Falls down in some areas, 4 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Go Figure: The Marvellous Maths Workbook (Paperback)
I agree with the other reviews in that this does contain some useful quizzes and well thought out explanations, some in the 'old school' form - no 'chunking' for long division here! Something which I generally approve of. However - and this is a problem for me - not enough care has been taken (or maybe its deliberate). For example, on page 29 there is a demonstration of long division... the problem arises in the way it is set out (which in the traditional way) in that in part of the calculation, 57 is subtracted from 60 'to give us 3' but then the 3 is placed under the 6 and 5 rather than the 0 and 7. The next stage is described as 'moving down the spare 8 from 608' - I don't see the 8 as being 'spare' nor do I like the expression 'moving down'. I'll try and place a photo of the page on Amazon so that you can see better. Another example is on page 59 where in converting vulgar fractions into percentages, the author seems to skip a stem which may leave some children baffled. I'm sure there are lots of other instances like this, as I've only just dipped into the book. It does have some good ideas thought - hence the 4*s - but I shall be adding corrections before my children get hold of it. Incidentally my new copy cost 1p plus £2.80 postage from price-crash-books (on Amazon) which was an absolute bargain compared with the Amazon price of £7.25.

5.0 out of 5 stars maths, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Go Figure: The Marvellous Maths Workbook (Paperback)
an excellent exposition of maths especiallly for the mathematical challenged. I can recommend this book to all who have a struggle with all things mathematical

5.0 out of 5 stars Upstaged by 8 year-old grandson., 21 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Go Figure: The Marvellous Maths Workbook (Paperback)
I was frankly rather rusty with my maths, so this will remind me of all the maths forgotten so long ago!

Go Figure: The Marvellous Maths Workbook
Go Figure: The Marvellous Maths Workbook by Daniel Smith (Paperback - 3 May 2012)