5.0 out of 5 stars Does correct English matter and can it be fun?
Yes it does and can. If we write and speak English correctly we can more easily say exactly what we want to say and ensure that the person to whom we are talking or writing will understand us. This is an easy book to read. It makes grammar light work and is an ideal way to help young people understand the beauty and precision of the English language. Don't read all at...
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Railway Buff

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult read - not very helpful for beginners.
I found this book quite impenetrable and as a result my poor grammar is for now untouched. Whilst I have no doubt the rules covered are up to scratch, the way they are presented is lacking. The book lacks any form of structure or clear lesson planning. Particularly with the lack of index (a fatal error for a non-fiction book), your only hope is to read it from start to...
Published on 5 April 2012 by R-B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 14 Jun 2011
Bought and read this book as I have felt for a long time that my grammar could do with a bit of a boost.

It has answered a few questions such as why it should be "Ten items or fewer" at the checkout. Also when to use 'who' and when to use 'whom'.

There were other sections of the book though that could have done with just an extra bit of work by the author. A bit more thought put into the examples.

An example (or two) is in the apostrophe section. It states that in the history of the English language, the possessive of James would be Jameses but we now drop the 'e' and replace with an apostrophe to be "James's book". I must admit, I liked this little history lesson - a little nugget of information has been stored away. However, a further example states how the word 'mann' would be 'mannes' as a possessive singular - the example is then "The man's hand". Nowhere does it mention that mann is the Old English spelling of man; at least that is how I have deciphered that example.

Another example, or rule, that could have done with a little more work would be around the lack of an apostrophe in the word "its". The rule in the book states - Rule: the personal pronouns yours, theirs, its, his, hers and ours never need an apostrophe.

As far as I can tell, that is the only mention of the lack of an apostrophe in the word "its" when we are talking about possession. Using "it's" instead of "its" must be one of the most frequent apostrophe mistakes that I see. However, it is rare that I see "her's" or "our's" written down. I just think that an actual example or two of the correct use of "its" would help those who struggle in that area.

My final gripe with this book is that there are a lot of 'tongue in cheek' references. There were occasions where these caused me some confusion.

I am still looking for a decent grammar book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Little Book, 11 Jan 2010
Heidi Brand (France) - See all my reviews
Written in an informative yet fun style this little book is easy to read and makes an excellent job of tackling all areas of punctuation. I've only read this through once so far and will need to revisit some chapters again as some of the 'rules' are more complicated than others but the layout of this book makes that easy to do. This book is a practicle and useful addition to my reference books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstructured, incomplete, and mistakes throughout, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: My Grammar and I (Or Should That Be 'Me'?): Old-School Ways to Sharpen Your English (Paperback)
Title says it all. Useful as a reference, but still with its flaws. I suspect the only reason it is well-reviewed by others customers is because The Times compared it to Eats, Shoots and Leaves, the best-selling punctuation book - an analogy I would never dream of making.

I would list its mistakes, but there are far too many to point out, as they are presented throughout the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that good, 20 Aug 2013
Too many examples & not enough substance. OK for the casual student who would like to brush up on their English.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read - even if it is about grammar, 16 Sep 2012
This is a good read for anyone that wants to brush up on their grammar. It is not a reference book and it is written 'tongue in cheek'. Some of the negative reviews seem to have missed the fact that a lot of the bits in this book are mocking 'traditional rules' or else are illustrating how not to do it. As the authors state - things move on and what may not have been acceptable 50 years ago is now correct usage. If you have no idea what a verb or a noun is then this isn't the book for you. If you want a dry reference book then this isn't for you. But if you want to refresh or increase your knowledge of grammar and not end up comatose due to boredom before you get to the end of the first page then this book is definitely one you want to buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handsome guide to grammar, 15 Dec 2011
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'd always supposed that grammar guides held little appeal, even for those who write for a living. However, the success of 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' and Stephen Fry's books on language proves that very many people are interested in the rules of language use and how English has developed over time.

My Grammar and I is a very handsome, clearly presented tome and offers good value for money. There are one or two slight problems with it though. I was a bit confused (and annoyed) by examples which showed how not to do things and, since it's unlikely you would want to read it all the way through, an index would have been handy. The section I went to first, refered to 'an Oxford comma' which meant nothing to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Book, 25 Sep 2011
Ms A. Breen (Coventry, U.K.) - See all my reviews
I never knew that learning grammar could be so entertaining. This is a subject that in the past caused me to glaze over, whenever it surfaced, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The information is presented in a humorous and memorable way.
The book itself is beatifully bound - one of those that is both a visual and a tactile pleasure to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstructured and Unhelpful, 16 Nov 2012
Title says it all. The author introduces the reader to concepts assuming the reader already has an understanding. She moves back and forth between different concepts making for a very scattered and unorganised read. The text is very conversational - which is fine - but i feel the book lacks substance. For example the author at times provides a long list of grammatical rules, but then does not give any explanation as to why we have these rules. Such an explanation would definitely help the reader to understand and remember rules of grammar. I would not recommend this book. I am currently reading 'English Grammar for Dummies' which has a lot more structure to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 27 Oct 2009
This book is exactly what I wanted. It is packed with information that is present in a way that makes it easy to remember. I keep it by my desk and find myself dipping into it on a regular basis

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and entertaining reference, 3 May 2009
What to say about a book on grammar? After all, it is grammar, one of the driest and most unexciting topics in the history of the universe. It is to Caroline Taggart and J.A.Wines's great credit that they do manage to occasionally raise a smile during their treatment of this subject. Not only have they treated it with humour but also with a pragmatic observation of the modern development of language and how that might affect one's interpretation of the accuracy of one's grammar.

There is no index but, crucially, the contents page is structured in such a way that it allows for easy reference when one is concerned about a particularly thorny issue.

Very good, but I can't bring myself to award five stars to a grammar primer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 49 | Next ›