on 16 November 2012
Title says it all. The author introduces the reader to concepts assuming the reader already has an understanding. She moves back and forth between different concepts making for a very scattered and unorganised read. The text is very conversational - which is fine - but i feel the book lacks substance. For example the author at times provides a long list of grammatical rules, but then does not give any explanation as to why we have these rules. Such an explanation would definitely help the reader to understand and remember rules of grammar. I would not recommend this book. I am currently reading 'English Grammar for Dummies' which has a lot more structure to it.
on 26 March 2014
A great little book. Informative, fun to read, and improves your grammar too. Well worth buying if you take any pride in the way you speak and write, or wonder why you say things in a particular way.
on 31 August 2010
I will be purchasing more copies of this book as several people have tried to take my own precious copy. I highly recommend this book and regret not buying it much sooner.
on 8 February 2009
This book is brilliant. I have bought three copies as presents. Two of these were for reference purposes for two people who know their grammar well and the third for someone who needs to be able to check what is correct because of lack of knowledge. My Mother tells me there is a mistake regarding the use of "not as" as a comparison. She says it should be "not so" as in "not so much of something". She is very hot on grammar and yet English is her second language!
on 21 June 2016
I think Caroline has to decide where the market is for a work of this sort. Much too complex for those in the top-end of a Primary School, and too complex for use in a Secondary School. It could be a reference book for those at the top-end of a Secondary School and for University Students.
I taught for several years in Primary Schools, and introduced the children to sentence structure and basic grammar. This was much appreciated by colleagues who taught languages in Secondary Schools. And for a few years I collected grammatical mistakes from the Daily Telegraph. I filled three notebooks, and sent them off to the Telegraph, at a time when they began to record such in their newspaper. Turned down I was. My son suggested that it would have been wiser to send the mistakes off to The Times. One a day could have worked wonders on the semi-literate ... like an apple or an aspirin might do for the obese instead of the standard eggs, bacon, mushrooms, fried bread et al.
I do like Caroline's book, most thorough it is, but if she wishes to benefit financially, she should consider the market. As I consider whether or not I
ought to have written 'wish' instead of 'wishes'. Is the word subject to the subjunctive?
on 11 January 2010
Written in an informative yet fun style this little book is easy to read and makes an excellent job of tackling all areas of punctuation. I've only read this through once so far and will need to revisit some chapters again as some of the 'rules' are more complicated than others but the layout of this book makes that easy to do. This book is a practicle and useful addition to my reference books.
on 25 September 2011
I never knew that learning grammar could be so entertaining. This is a subject that in the past caused me to glaze over, whenever it surfaced, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The information is presented in a humorous and memorable way.
The book itself is beatifully bound - one of those that is both a visual and a tactile pleasure to read.
on 3 May 2009
What to say about a book on grammar? After all, it is grammar, one of the driest and most unexciting topics in the history of the universe. It is to Caroline Taggart and J.A.Wines's great credit that they do manage to occasionally raise a smile during their treatment of this subject. Not only have they treated it with humour but also with a pragmatic observation of the modern development of language and how that might affect one's interpretation of the accuracy of one's grammar.

There is no index but, crucially, the contents page is structured in such a way that it allows for easy reference when one is concerned about a particularly thorny issue.

Very good, but I can't bring myself to award five stars to a grammar primer.
on 17 May 2015
An enjoyable read but not the typical grammar book from days of yore (like my trusty 'First Aid in English'). At times I found it confusing, not quite sure whether what was written was an example of bad grammar or good, but overall I enjoyed it. It warrants another read or perusal of certain parts. For myself, though, I would have preferred a straightforward English grammar book with examples clearly set out of both correct (and incorrect) usage, rather than them being lost amongst the padding of prose. The author has tried to lighten the subject with humour, however, which may encourage people to read the book. If I could, I would give 4 stars for enjoyment, but only 3 for content!
on 27 October 2009
This book is exactly what I wanted. It is packed with information that is present in a way that makes it easy to remember. I keep it by my desk and find myself dipping into it on a regular basis