5.0 out of 5 stars Too Funny for Words!
Published on 26 July 2010 by Sanchez's Homebrew

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, not as good as the rest
Published on 4 Mar 2011 by Richard Mockett

5.0 out of 5 stars Too Funny for Words!, 26 July 2010
This review is from: The Devil's Graveyard (Paperback)
Anyone like me, who loved the previous 2 Bourbon Kid adventures will not be disappointed with this superb 3rd installment. While it doesn't perhaps have the depth of storyline as my personal fave the Eye of the Moon, this one is by far the funniest and most violent of the three. There are too many belly laugh moments to recall - i'm just glad i read it in the comfort of my own home rather than in public! For those who have read it, i have 2 words - Janis Joplin. I need say no more...!

This time around see's the Bourbon Kid and old characters such as Sanchez (complete with his legendary "homebrew") Elvis, and the Mystic Lady, heading to the Hotel Pasadena for the Back from the Dead singing competition. With many new characters thrown in for good measure (Jacko, Judy Garland, Freddie Mercury etc), it's a bloodbath waiting to happen. I'm pleased to say that the 'Kid has lost none of his edge from the previous 2 books, and remains the coolest dude on the planet.

I have no idea who this particular Anonymous is, but he is in my opinion one of the most exciting new writers around, and i sure hope he sticks around for a long time to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from start to finish, 8 Nov 2010
Film Buff (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The back from the dead singing contest is held in a remote part of the desert at the hotel Pasadena. The competitors compete by impersonating dead singing stars. But someone is killing them off, and unknown to the competitors another deadly killer lurks waiting to pounce, flesh eating zombies. From the first page this book is an excellent read. The characters are believable, Sanchez and Elvis bounce off each other with superb repartee, reminiscent of such great characters like Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, Del Boy and Rodney and Hugh Laurie and Steven Fry. The choice of names for the characters is really good. I particularly like the Bourbon Kid, it reminds me of the biscuit but not as sweet. The chapters are short, concentrating on one characters storyline at a time. The book moves along at a fast pace until it reaches it's final conclusion, which you will either love or hate. I personally found it agreeable as it tied all the loose ends up but one leaving room for a possible follow up. The book is part of a series but there is no need to read the preceding novels. If anything is mentioned from an earlier book it is tied in to the present storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Devil's Graveyard (Paperback)
Excellent read. Exactly what you would expect from this series and Janis Joplin is just epic!

4.0 out of 5 stars great instalment, 16 Sep 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great instalment in the Bourbon Kid series by Anonymous. I have really enjoyed this series so far and I'm glad to see that it is continuing with a third book. The Book with No Name and The Eye of the World are great precursors to this book, so I would encourage anyone who is intrigued by this book to seek out and read the other two first.

Excellent story and very funny too.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best reads I've had in a long time..., 27 Oct 2010
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Out in the Arizona desert is a area called The Devils Graveyard. This is the site of the huge Hotel Pasadena, where TV talent show 'Back From The Dead' is filmed each year. Unluckily for all of the hopeful contestants the chief judge - Nigel Powell - has rigged the contest and already chosen the five acts he wants for the grand final.

But - even more unluckily - someone has hired a ruthless hitman to kill off the finalists and in case that wasn't quite enough the infamous serial killer known as the Bourbon Kid has also decided to stop by the hotel...

Oh yeah; The night that the talent show takes pace is Halloween and Nigel has sold his soul to the devil AND there are flesh hungry zombies awakening around the hotel.

I received this book free from Amazon's Vine programme and - reading the back blurb - realised that this book features characters from earlier books from the author. This and the fact that the books chosen critical recommendation on the front is by the Daily Sport put me of reading it straight away, so it sat on my bookcase for a few weeks ignored and unloved.

This was a huge mistake as when I did pick it up the story dragged me in literally from the first page - it opens on a high speed chase between the police and the Kid and the pace never slows down again.

THE DEVIL'S GRAVEYARD is not any one set genre. Instead we spin back and forth between crime, urban fantasy, critical satire, to tears at one point. All of this is served with a huge dose of humour; One of my favourite parts is when someone witnesses the Kid commit murder and he still happily hitches a ride with him and offers to sing 'Earth Song' for him in the car...

Even when the characters aren't interacting with each other there are still plenty humorous moments; Such as when someones vehicle is stolen they are actually more annoyed that their signed copy of Tom Jones' greatest hits is inside it.

All of the characters are likable, even the serial killing Kid himself; you'll find yourself overlooking the dead bodies and willing him on. Then there's luckless sap Sanchez, who has won a weekend at the hotel in a competition only to be confused for a hitman on arrival. Alot of the communicated humour comes from Sanchez and his friend Elvis [no prizes for guessing that he has entered the contest]. Then there's the villain of the piece - Nigel Powell. The author really captures Simon Cowell's mannerisms and speech patterns in the character and it is so easy to picture him as Nigel. The part where Nigel swipes an ice cream of one guard struck me as being hilarious. My favourite character however has to be Emily, who is the most genuinely likable character, and the most easy to connect with.

This is the first book I've read in a while that I sat up into the small hours reading because I just had to know what happened next.

I couldn't find any faults with this book what-so-ever; It really does have a bit of everything in it. I'm now desperate to get my hand's on the author's first two books. [Yes; seeing it's good when it was free does seem suspicious, but trust me on this - if I thought it was crap then I'd happily say so]

** Though it makes a good stand-alone story with no gaps, the Kid, Sanchez and Elvis are introduced in 'The Book With No Name', followed by 'The Eye Of The Moon'.

There's nothing to say except buy, buy, buy!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the first 2 you'll love this., 17 April 2011
This review is from: The Devil's Graveyard (Paperback)
I'd better start by saying that I really enjoyed The Book With No Name and The Eye Of The Moon, and that when I see a follow up to a book I liked I'm always a little worried that the ideas will get rehashed and it'll be just an excuse to make money out of me.
So I was really pleased to see that the this wasn't the case with The Devil's Graveyard. The new ideas introduced were handled in the same bizarre, funny and clever way as the previous books, and the story wasn't predictable.
I bought this to read on a long weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. A fun romp but don't expect anything deep or thought provoking - this is a Tarantino movie in book form.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, not as good as the rest, 4 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Devil's Graveyard (Paperback)
Like Terminator 3, i really just felt this book was an unnecessary 3rd installment that fails to deliver in comparison to the first 2 stories. Don't get me wrong, it's funny in places. But as a whole the dialogue seems strained when drawing on the characters of the first two book (this is set as a prelude, but you find yourself going over old ground as the author tries to explain certain characters' pasts in a way that is suppose to tie in with what happens in the future which you already know about). I also thought the whole storyline - while suppose to be a toungue in cheek poke at X Factor - is rather flat and becomes stale quite quickly.

In short, worth a punt if you have little else to read and have already gone through the first two books, otherwise would pass up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking foward to reading this prequel, 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Devil's Graveyard (Paperback)
As an avid reader of horror and all things supernatural, I just had a feeling I would like this series and well, I wasn't disappointed. I have read The Book with No Name and The Eye of the Moon and loved both.I think The Eye of the Moon was my favourite because of all the moments where I actually said 'Nooooo!!' out loud, or caught myself chuckling or sighing in relief. This Anonymous, aka Bourbon Kid really shouldn't hide behind a mask. Seriously, his writing style is amazing. Being a horror fan, I can see, and appreciate where he gets alot of his inspiration from, and it's not just Tarantino films... it has a mish-mosh of alot of the horror films I grew up with. If you like alot of action, blood, gore, characters with heart, not to mention vampires, werewolves and mummies.. (oh my!) you'll love these books. I sure do, and looking foward to reading the next one from Anonymous (hopefully it will continue where Eye of the Moon left off) after reading the Devil's Graveyard.

5.0 out of 5 stars awsome, 8 Nov 2010
foxcylady - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is awsome amazing and a must read. I have just read it for a vine review and just to prove how good it is have just purchased the previous two novels and this one for my Kindle. It is a must have it really it is. The characters are great and very likeable or dislikeable as the case may be, its a difficult book to put down once opened I really cannot praise it highly enough and believe me when I say you will want to read its predecessors.

The blurb on the back of the book gives you the idea of the story and if you like the sound of that then you are truly laughing, and laugh you will. Go on throw some cash at it you really wont regret it I promise. A truly inspired book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable., 23 Sep 2010
Ian Wantling (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Slightly weird, but a compelling read - so much so that I purchased the other novels in the 'anonymous' series. Recommended if you enjoy thrillers and are looking for a change from the norm.....

The Devil's Graveyard: 3 (Bourbon Kid 3)
The Devil's Graveyard: 3 (Bourbon Kid 3) by n/a Anonymous (Paperback - 2 Jun 2011)