5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable
This relatively small book is divided into several sections with slices from Churchill's life and quotations related to politics, speaches, friends, animals, family, etc.

Here are few excerpts:

While campaigning in 1900, it is said that the young Churchill was doing a spot of canvassing when one of those he approached exclaimed:

"Vote for...
Published on 12 Feb 2008 by Laura De Giorgio

3.0 out of 5 stars Humour.
This book was bought as part of a Christmas gift for a non reader. I thought if it was as amusing as billed it might encourage my friend to read as opposed to watching peculiarities on TV. I gave up after a dozen or so pages and the friend has it lying beside the remote control. I imagine only one of the items is picked up.
Published 5 months ago by Mrs. K. Drain

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All about Churchill, 3 Nov 2009
Jordi M. Conejeros (Sant Cugat del Vallès, Catalonia) - See all my reviews
What do you want to know about his sense of humor? You got it here!

5.0 out of 5 stars No One Is More Frequently Quoted, 5 Jan 2003
taking a rest - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I cannot prove empirically that the words above these comments are unimpeachably accurate; I would however wager that were there such a system to track how often the words of one person are quoted by another, Sir Winston Spencer Churchill would rival all competitors. There are many reasons for this position, the length of his life, the events he was in the midst of, and the manner by which he memorialized all he was involved in. In the 100 years The Nobel Prize For Literature has been given out, it has been given only 6 times to English authors, and he is one of them.
His was born when Queen Victoria sat on the throne of England, and he died when President Lyndon Johnson was serving his second year as President of The United States. There were very few years he was not in the public's eye, and very few moments he was out of the midst of current events. Even the so called, "wilderness years", would become integral in his being prepared to defend The Western Democracies from the threats posed by WWII, and the men who left England horribly exposed. It is too much to say that his words alone carried England through her finest and darkest hours, but that his words were integral cannot be argued.
Sir Winston was a great believer in reading the quotations of history's great personages and then following those quotes through to more detailed biographies. Like Disraeli before him who stated one should read biography to learn history, Churchill often took the very same path. He was never concerned with how History would view him, for has often been quoted he stated, "I will write it". Write it he did, and even if he had not, with his words so ever present in the speeches of those who are in the public arena, and writers of all genres whether fiction or non-fiction, this man would never have been forgotten by History.
There are seemingly endless books about Churchill and collections of wide varieties of his utterances. As a person who has read many of these books, I can say confidently that this pocket size version is well worth your while, contains many of his better known bon mots, and while specific wording will vary with those that record his words from a variety of sources, I found only one or two that seemed to turn a word differently than I had read before.
Few lives have stretched nearly a century, fewer still a century as dramatic as the 20th. He was there for the sunset of the 19th, the dawn of the 20th, and as his lengthy life allowed him to experience the majority of the tumultuous 20th Century. The History of our World has seen few like him, and with our modern penchant for destroying those in one moment who we hold in such tenuous esteem only a breath before, it may be a very long time until his kind is seen once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Laugh!, 24 Aug 2010
People say that you can judge someone's intelligence by their sense of humour. If that were true and if we judged Winston Churchill's IQ solely on this book, then we would swiftly conclude that this person must have been a genious; this streak of genious shines throughout this book, which is a summary of his most humorous anecdotes and quotations. One of my favourite is 'I am a sporting man. I always like to give trains and aeroplanes a fair chance of getting away!' In that light, 'Sa fari, so goody...' I am wholeheartedly recommending this book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Dec 2009
G. J. Weeks (London) - See all my reviews
A Christmas present for which I am grateful. It makes one laugh. It cheers one up. I may have read half the quotes before but there are new ones and new anecdotes. Great man. Great wit. Great mastery of the language.

5.0 out of 5 stars a brilliant little book, 2 Nov 2009
JJA Kiefte "Joost Kiefte" (Tegelen, Nederland) - See all my reviews
In the six years that this little book has graced my bookshelves I have regularly returned to it when I was hounded by a black dog. Churchill's sparkling wit, his delightful flights of fancy, his erudition and delicious verbosity, combined with the impish smile on the book cover, make this a must have for anyone who loves the man and the English language.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHEN PARLIAMENT SPARKLED, 10 Jan 2008
Barry McCanna (Normandy, France) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Anyone watching the televised proceedings from Parliament could be forgiven for nodding off, given the uninspiring nature of much of the proceedings, and the mundane characters who participate. If you want a glimpse of what we're missing this book is essential reading. Winston Churchill was one of the great characters of the House, at a time when there was no shortage of such people. He is quoted as saying, of the then Russian Foreign Minister, "I have never seen a human being who more perfectly represented the modern concept of a robot". I can't help feeling that, were he a sitting MP today, he'd find no shortage of candidates to fit that description. This book lives up to its title.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT MAN, PRODIGIOUS WIT, 7 Feb 2011
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There's not a lot really that needs to be said. Most people have heard of the 'greatness' that was Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill as a politician, as an obdurate and inspirational wartime leader, and as a very good author, but fewer will automatically recognise him as a 'rakish' wit on par with Oscar Wilde. Mind you considering his brilliance at almost everything he did, his mastery at the art of witticism should come as no surprise.

Winnie was almost unarguably Britain's finest and charismatic citizen in the 20th century if not for ever, and this compilation by Dominique Enright is a natable showcase for this colossus's incredible rascally, verging on wicked, wit. Other reviewers here have already given 'quotes' from the book to enable a prospective buyer to sample the contents, so I will just add that this is one of the most amusing single source books of wit that I have read.

Source it, buy it, and chuckle at this man's lightning speed of rhetorical raillery, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incomparable Wit & Intellect, 9 Jan 2013
Churchill's many talents cannot be overstated. Marlowe, Milton, and Shakespeare would be quite proud of their influence on this profound Leader of Men, without whom, this Planet would have a much different history.

I admire & respect him so much, that my first born son bears the middle name of "Winston", who I have tried to convince, in vain, was in honor of Winnie the Pooh ;-) But like his namesake, my Winston is endowed with a British sense of Wit, which is NOT appreciated at any level of Institutional Learning, especially UC Berkeley - and probably neither at Oxford or Cambridge ;-)

Since that time, W Edwards Deming has slightly, ever so much, eclipsed W Churchill.

But, for those who care, read Sarah Churchill's "The Empty Spaces", for which I was most fortunate to hear her recite several of her poems on a venture that she made to NYC. My favorite is to be found on page 42 [also the year of my birth]: "ETERNITY" This can be found at Amazon-UK, which I have purchased many First Editions in EXCELLENT condition.

Phil H - somewhere in western USA

4.0 out of 5 stars WWOWC, 10 Jan 2010
R. Stewart (U.K.) - See all my reviews
An easy and enjoyable read , nonw can argue that he had a way with words.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill, 7 Dec 2013
J. E. Hudson - See all my reviews
I was hoping to find a flavour of his supposedly clever humour in this book. But it seems it's all in his delivery, on paper the words are flat and unspiring.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill
The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill by Dominique Enright (Hardcover - 2 Jun 2011)