5.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Winner

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and enjoyable, if a little predictable
Published on 27 Nov 2010 by Mr. D. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny and enjoyable, if a little predictable, 27 Nov 2010
Mr. D. Clark "londinius" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Universally Challenged: Quiz Contestants Say the Funniest Things (Paperback)
Wendy Roby's book probably doesn't need any extra publicity from me, having been shown on "Russell Howard's Good News " on TV the other day. The book is called "Universally Challenged " - which is surely one of the most popular names for quiz teams throughout the length and breadth of the country - right up there with Norfolk and Chance, I'd guess. If you haven't heard of it, basically a collection of daft answers which have been given by real contestants on real TV quiz shows.

There's no doubt that there is a lot of very funny stuff in here. I'll admit that I was laughing out loud at some of the answers in here.

However
- quite a few of the funniest ones in here have been out there on `funny things contestants say on quiz show' web sites and web pages for a long time, and won't be new to you.
- most of the answers tend to come from a rather limited number of shows.
- You can't help wondering whether every answer given in here is 100% genuine. For example, one of the answers given is this - in reply to the question which went something like this - what was the name given to people in medieval times paid to entertains royalty and the nobility ? - the answer given was lepers . Really ? I can remember the same joke being used in an episode of Blackadder 2.
- A large number of answers come from Family Fortunes, or from its American progenitor, Family Feud. For me, this tends to make them less funny than wrong answers in a real quiz.

Its not an expensive book at all, and pretty good value I would have thought. It was nice to see a little bit of a tribute to Bob Johnson - Family Fortunes' Turkey man - at the end of the book as well

5.0 out of 5 stars A Complete Winner, 16 Dec 2011
Dancer (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book last Christmas in a last minute panic buy for my partner. He absolutely loved it and so did his father and they didn't take their noses out of it all afternoon (all other presents were abandoned). All you heard were waves of laughter and then they would read a few lines to the rest of us. One line had my in such stitches that tears were rolling down my face! A good book for dipping in and out of and a good light-hearted read for Christmas.

My only complaint is that they haven't brought out another one this year, but I suppose that amount of material is hard to find in enough quantity to fill a whole book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, but best read in short doses, 26 Aug 2013
Brian Clegg "Brian Clegg" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having been on University Challenge (if only as the subject of a question) I had a natural interest in the book Universally Challenged, quiz contestants say the funniest things. It was a slight let down that most of the contents have nothing to do with that august quiz show, featuring rather less academic ventures, but it doesn't stop the responses being entertaining.

What we have here is a whole stream of wrong answers from the downright dumb to the entertainingly wacky (I like 'What insect is commonly found hovering over lakes?' - 'Crocodiles.') There were a few questions where I doubted the selection, because the answer made too much sense. There was, for instance, 'Name a place where you take your clothes off beside home?' to which the apparently funny answer was 'School.' Now, I can see why this was funny, but in fairness to the contestant it was also correct - most people have taken off clothes at school to change into games kit. But even these were interesting because it meant you could feel superior to the editor of the book (it's not exactly being an author), Wendy Roby, because you know better than she did.

I read the book through while on holiday, which was possibly a mistake, as apart from the truly hilarious and wildly eccentric answers, it could feel a little flat, just reading question and answer after question and answer. It may be it's a better book to dip into - perhaps to keep in the loo. But there is no doubt that it makes a great combination of entertainment and mind boggling at humanity's ability to get it wrong - and it would make a great gift.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for all the family, 27 Dec 2011
My son wanted this book for Christmas and it's huge fun. Lots of amazingly stupid things....and caused great hilarity.
A fun book and good value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Universally challenged, 9 Jan 2011
Gave us some good laughs over Christmas

Amazing how quiz show contestants can start their mouthsbefore engaging their brains

2.0 out of 5 stars not that funny, 15 Jun 2014
It was for a stocking-filler, but I should have known better. It really isn't that funny - a lot of it is very predictable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, 7 Jun 2014
This book is ok, but becomes very predictable after a short time, I did read it all, there are a few gems to be had.

5.0 out of 5 stars went down well!, 5 Jun 2014
Another one of those gifts which are suitable for someone you don't know too well but suspect may have a sense of humour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, 5 April 2014
This is a really funny book. I bought it as a present for a friend and he really loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this book in a public place - you'll get funny looks when you fall about laughing!, 12 Mar 2014
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
I picked this up in a charity shop the other day when we were away for the weekend in our camper van, and the whole family enjoyed sharing it as I read bits aloud to them. (Had to omit a few bits as they weren't suitable for children, so won't be storing this on an easily reachable bookshelf.) It's a bit patchy in places, and a few of the answers supposedly funny aren't actually that far from being right and don't raise a laugh - but there are also such classics that it's worth persevering.

I suppose it is a bit unkind to laugh at people's ignorance, but then if you're willing to put your stupidity in the public domain in hope of winning prizes and 15 minutes of fame, you are fair game.

This book also reminded me why I don't watch TV game shows - they're just too painful.

Universally Challenged: Quiz Contestants Say the Funniest Things