4.0 out of 5 stars Dip in or look up, good either way
Published on 21 Feb. 2012 by Iain S. Palin

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much opinion and personality
If you like Caroline Taggart you will like this book. I don't know Caroline Taggart so I found this book which is full of personal observations to be too much like an extension of waffling newspaper opinion pieces. However, you may like the lighthearted almost gossipy manner.

Published on 28 Oct. 2009 by the antiquary

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much opinion and personality, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: An Apple A Day: Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Still Work (Hardcover)

I've noticed recently a trend for people to explain obvious things like they are uncovering forgotten truths. Starting off the book by deliberately conjoining 'Too many cooks spoil the broth' with 'Many hands make light work' and expecting us not to understand their different meanings I found insulting.

Still, it is sensibly laid-out and doesn't stint in revelation, and if it doesn't fulfil the promise of explaining why the proverbs still work then most are surely self-evident in any case. If it's just proverbs you're after it is easier to leaf through than Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable and often more informative, if not as ultimately satisfying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dip in or look up, good either way, 21 Feb. 2012
Iain S. Palin (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
Another book explaining about proverbs? Yes, and an enjoyable and informative one. The reviews have been a bit mixed, some certainly don't like the author's willing ness to share her opinions and asides with the reader, but to my mind that's partly why the book works. Without the human touch a listing of proverbs and popular sayings, where they come from, and (sometimes) what they originally meant, could be very dry.
What we have here is the sort of book you can dip into when you have a minute or two, or you can use to look something up. Both approaches work and you can learn a lot while enjoying yourself. And there was a bonus - it introduced me to the Rev. Charles Caleb Colton, a man whose writing generated so many of our well-know English proverbs and who seems to have been in himself an interesting figure.
The Michael O'Mara series of books of which this is one are smallish, hard-backed (always a good point when you have a book that's likely to be handled a lot), very reasonably priced, and appealing. As might be expected, some are better than others but most are good and this is one of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, 7 Jun. 2010
If you want to dip in for a few minutes while waiting for something or someone this will cheer you up. Very amusing and also informative.

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting, but seemed a bit long winded, 11 Dec. 2012
Miss J. Griffin (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
this book seemed to be a little long-winded when i was reading it. it is on the whole somewhat amusing, but most of this seems to come from the authors opinions of matters that seemed to be related to the proverb, although sometimes i was puzzled as to how they were. reading this was a good way to waste some time, but the reason for the 3 star review is that £3.80 seems a little bit steep for this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Apple a Day, 12 May 2013
Bouught this book as a giftfor a Portugese friend who speaks really good English. She is very pleased with this book and enjoys reading the proverbs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough is as good as a feast, 29 May 2013
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Brentwood) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A friend of mine bought me this book, although I really can't understand why. Still, beggars can't be choosers can they? And, after all, knowledge is power. I suppose he probably thought I might appreciate it. But the road to hell is paved with good intentions and obviously, in this case, a fool and his money are soon parted.

I wish I could say it was an enjoyable read, as I usually love Caroline Taggart's very humorous writing style. However, this book just seems to be far too bogged down by literary quotes from people I thought I'd seen the back of when I left school in 1986. It is like being attacked from all angles by a demented Charlie Chan. After only a few pages, I found myself skipping anything written in italics completely. Mind you, I was warned about all that in her introduction. She threatens the reader with 'many references to Shakespeare and other poets, and to the Bible'. That has simply made me question whether the friend who bought this for me actually likes me because, if he does, he certainly has a funny way of showing it.

There are splashes of that wonderful humour in these pages but there are also far too many instances of pointless waffle for my liking. If the proverb itself seems to make perfect literal sense, why am I reading half a page of additional prose which merely serves to tell me what was totally obvious in the first place?

While I have found this book to be exceptionally hard work, I have been reading it fairly regularly. I have found it to be particularly useful around about bedtime. Personally speaking, it knocks any sleeping tablet I've ever tried into a cocked hat.

3.0 out of 5 stars an apple a day, 13 Sept. 2013
bought this for my grandsons hoping that it will improve their general education. the sort of thing you don't find on a computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Apple a Day, 17 Sept. 2011
Product arrived before the stated time in excellent condition and the product was very good and exactly what I wanted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 6 Sept. 2014
Lots of familiar sayings. Very useful for reference and everything easy to find because it's sorted alphabetically!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 9 Mar. 2013
Great and different. For the person who wants to know why things happened, why they where said and all that stuff.

An Apple A Day: Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Still Work
An Apple A Day: Old-Fashioned Proverbs and Why They Still Work by Caroline Taggart (Hardcover - 8 Oct. 2009)