4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any Bond or Moore fans....
Published on 16 Oct 2008 by Mr. Matthew C. Wolski

3.0 out of 5 stars Stirred But Not Shaken
Published on 28 Oct 2011 by Big Andy

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any Bond or Moore fans...., 16 Oct 2008
An abridged version of the recently released Roger Moore biography read by the great man himself - which is a big bonus. Extremely witty, enjoyable and modest, this will have you longing for Moore (pardon the pun) after listening to the two and a half hour running time of this two disk set. Disk one takes a very in depth look at his childhood (i had no idea he spent time as a war orphan in nearby Worthing), his stints on Ivanhoe, The Saint and the Persuaders.Disk two covers his seven Bond movies and a very moving account of his experiences working for Unicef. The only thing that did disappoint is the lack of coverage of his other movies (Wild Geese and Cannonball Run to name two) but these are covered in the actual book.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Rogesty, 22 Oct 2008
D. Campbell (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is one of the finest autobiographies that I have ever read.

Sir Roger claims not to spill all the beans on his life and co-stars for fear of upsetting the ones that are still alive. This isn't quite true.

He may may leave out some of the more salacious details, but this helps for a real good time feel to the book. Ther are MANY tales told here, but all in good taste!

Roger Moore is an actor of such experience that his stories are nothing short of hilarious, touching, sad and scandalous (in a gentlemanly way).

Often all at once.

Roger Moore has unfairly been the subject of many jibes about his ability, many started by the man himself.

This is the story of a truly talented, charasmatic, naturally funny, humanitarian.

It's so nice not to be preached to. He loves what he does, he loves his success and that shines through. Really refreshing.

Read this without being touched or laughing out loud and there's something wroung.

10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Bond? Roger George Moore forever!, 12 Oct 2008
My quintessential Bond has always been Roger Moore. Those sparkling eyes, that cheeky grin, those crazy eyebrows and a character that shines through as truly honest and a lot of fun. I have often wondered why from a very young age, I always felt closer to Roger Moore than any other of the actors who played Bond. This book explains all: Roger Moore plays Roger Moore because his real character is all that is needed to play the part of Bond. This book leaves no stone unturned and takes us to the heart and soul of the Man: through his difficult childhood, his many hospital visits, the unselfish love of his parents, the strong friendships he acquired throughout his incredible life, his deep love for his children and grandchildren and the fun, joys and sadness that have touched him. This autobiography is beautifully written and in parts made me laugh out loud, in others I cried. Roger Moore is a true legend, an English Gentleman to the core: modest, charming and caring. Many happy returns of the day, Sir Roger and many, many more years with us!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Bound to Raise an Eyebrow", 22 Jan 2009
I am out of step with many of my reviewing colleagues as Sir Roger is not my favourite Bond, I'm in the Connery camp. He was however a very good Bond and I can only agree that this is a superb showbiz autobiography.
Sir Roger paints an vivid picture of a childhood more working class than many would have assumed and in particular clearly admired his policeman father.
He also gives us some detail on his army service & his early working life-he was a trainee animator and this enabled him to dierct episodes of The Saint and The Persuaders later on.
He has been criticised in the past for tending to dismiss ex-wives but here does recall in some detail how besotted he was with 1st wife Doorn Van Steyn, his exciting taste of fame as singer Dorothy Squires other half and in particular regrets treating "Dot" badly, still values the time they shared and was pleased that late in her life they became friends again. He has little to say about his 3rd wife Luisa Mattioli, possibly as the events of their divorce are still too fresh but sadly no picture is painted of their life together.
Minor quibble though as his acting career is dealt with in glorious detail. Early leading role "Ivanhoe" is amusingly recalled as a cheaply made and quasi-dangerous production.
Naturally The Saint is recalled in great detail and with some affection-but then he was the defenitive Simon Templar. This is one of the books' best bits. He also recalls being a business partner on Return of the Saint & has an amusing story about his involvement on the appalling Val Kilmer film, "I was paid not to act!"
Bond is recalled in similar details and again there is lots of fun to be had here. He controversialy supports the claim that Cubby Brocoli had a percentage of runaway bond Never Say Never Again, paints an amusing picture of how during the filming of that an Octopussy Sir Sean and he met to compare notes on whose production was more troubled. He reveals knowing George Lazenby and denies that he had to be pushed to leave the role of 007.
He announces a policy that where he has nothing good to say about someone he says nothing and sticks to it apart from in a few cases.
The last section chronicles his work for Unicef and this is where I learned a lot for example the problems of iodine deficiency.

Warmly recommended for all Saint, Bond or Sir Roger fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stirred But Not Shaken, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: My Word is My Bond: The Autobiography (Paperback)
This is a very interesting and amusing book, but sadly Mr Moore fails to allow the reader to get anywhere near his heart. We read a great deal about his happy childhood (notwithstanding the Blitz and evacuation) and his long and successful career - in which he appears to have either met or worked with almost everybody important in the entertainment industry - but we don't really manage to understand exactly what makes him tick.

The two most talked-about events in his private life, his divorces from his second and third wives, are barely discussed, even though at the time they were front-page news in the tabloids. It looks like we will never get to hear his side of the story.

Two things about Moore do emerge from this book. Firstly that despite his posh voice he is still very much a working-class boy from South London who reads the Daily Mirror and who loves beans on toast and Dads' Army. Secondly, money is very important to him: througout his working life he was always looking for a way to make a quick buck (or sometimes a quick million bucks).

At the end of the day, Moore comes across as a decent guy who knows that he was born lucky: he was never a great actor but his good looks and easygoing charm opened doors and allowed him to carve out a highly lucrative career.

This book is full of entertaining stories and anecdotes, some of which made me laugh out loud, but at the end of the day I felt cheated: I wanted to know more about the man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 20 Oct 2008
Mark West (Kettering, Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I like Roger Moore - to my mind, he is the best James Bond - and this book, which paints a picture of a warm, caring family man who is fully aware of how lucky he's been but enjoys it all the same, does nothing to change my mind. Starting from his earliest memories in Stockwell, right up to his UNICEF work (parts of which are difficult to read, however compassionately Moore writes about them), this is witty and bright and thoroughly entertaining. If I had a niggle, the business with his marriage to Luisa ending and his relationship with Kristina starting seems to be glossed over quickly but, that aside, this covers pretty much everything and had me laughing out loud in places. I can't recommend this enough - definitely my book of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaken not stirred!, 21 Oct 2008
What a charming and fascinating book. I really enjoyed reading about Sir Roger's early childhood and escapades and then his break into Hollywood. This man has known and acted with all the true greats of film and screen. At no point does he take himself too seriously and the constant references to his hypochondria were very amusing! I had no idea of his long commitment to UNICEF and this book portrays him as a very caring man as well as the a Hollywood legend we all love. I've now leant this book to my mum and my dad is next in line to read it- it's a perfect Xmas gift and takes you back to the glory days of Hollywood and a time before the arrival of ghastly reality TV. Truly my favourite Bond ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 23 Feb 2010
Mrs. A. M. Chadwick (Darwen, Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Finally my favourite actor has written his life story, and I haven't been disappointed. :-)

This book shows you his humble beginnings, (childhood in London), how he got into acting and the seven decades that his acting career has spanned, all about the TV shows, ("The Saint" and "The Persuaders"), he did as well as the big blockbuster films, (the most famous of all being "James Bond"), as well as the stars he's played roles along side.

Besides being famous for his TV shows and films he's also done a lot of great work for "Unichef" and talks about his travels to different parts of the world where they need help.

I found the book very interesting and enjoyable to read, he's very frank and there are some funny moments as well. :-)

Any fan of this great actor or someone who loves autobiographies will love this novel. It's a great read and worth every penny. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pranks, Jokes, Shooting Mishaps, and Behind-the-Scenes Glimpses of the Greats, 30 Jan 2009
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Successful actors and actresses usually focus on themselves. Sir Roger Moore knows that "the play's the thing" and directs interesting and rewarding stories that movie and television fans will enjoy. As author, he mostly plays the role of stand-in for us as voyeurs in casting calls, make-up chairs, scenes as they are performed, and during the carousing afterward. He has a sharp sense of humor and doesn't take himself or anything all that serious . . . except UNICEF for which he has done immense toil in recent years.

The style of story telling reminded me a lot of William Shatner's autobiography, Up Till Now. Sir Roger is more restrained, as befits his British background.

The book's main weakness is that the storytelling is a bit too good at directing attention away from Sir Roger. As a result, we learn the surface man . . . and not too much else. He's a jolly companion who wants you to have a good time.

If you are a huge fan of Maverick, the Saint, the Persuaders, and his Bond roles, I think you'll leave the book wishing for more. But that's part of the actor's art: Leave them eager for Moore.

Have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars An engaging and often funny read, 9 Jan 2009
M. Eagle (UK) - See all my reviews
Like many on here I also think Roger was the best Bond, the main reason why I asked for this book for Xmas. I found the story of his life as portrayed by the man himself to be very funny in places, probably as I found his sense of humour quite similar to my own. From the funny stories of his early life to the moving ones from his work with UNICEF, this autobiography is very engaging and hard to put down.
One word of warning though, Roger doesnt mind using colourful language in places so be wary if you intend to let your children read this.

My Word is My Bond: The Autobiography
My Word is My Bond: The Autobiography by Roger Moore (Paperback - 7 May 2009)
6.99