on 22 September 2010
The best book I have read for ages. I couldn't put it down. Lots of laughs!
on 12 August 2011
this must rank as one of the most boring books i have ever read.
this guy is self obsessed and continues to tell us what a fantastic entertainer he is, this he may well be but a writer he aint
dont waste your money
on 24 January 2015
Not finished reading it yet but as so far so good.
on 30 December 2014
Love this guy and live his book.
on 13 January 2012
Oh my world. My friend loves this book. She looked all over all the book shops and found out that they were over priced. So she looked on Amazon and then she said that was the book that she wanted. so i brought for her christmas present last year. She is over the moon. So now i got a job looking for books for her now on Amazon. Thank you for such of a wide range of books. My friend going to be one happy bunny.
on 23 March 2015
Another interesting book.
on 20 July 2014
A great read thanks john
on 14 February 2015
good and funny book
on 15 August 2014
Excellent.
on 3 October 2009
Well, I suppose that the previous reviewer's moniker (JBMegaFan) could apply equally to me. I've been to nearly everything that John has done in the last six years, after I saw him in the National Theatre's revival of Anything Goes. I'm a big fan of musical theatre, but had never followed an individual performer before, so this was very much new ground for me. I couldn't tell you how many hours I've spent following the Barrowman in time since then, let alone the money I've spent.

I must confess to a sense of impatience when the book didn't arrive on time. Having pre-ordered months ago, I was eagerly anticipating it, and so I couldn't help feeling like the child that Santa forgot. Days went by, and still no book. Eventually I learned that the delay was because some last-minute amendments had not been signed off in time to meet the printing schedules. Ho hum...

One week after the promised date, and my book was with me. I cleared everything non-essential out of my diary, and started to read.

And this is where I part company with JBMegaFan. I have to say, that I found the whole thing a real disappointment. And here's why.

With its large font, generous spacing and short chapters, I was done in less than three hours. I found the book completely lacking in substance. I've heard many of the stories before, and believe me they are much funnier when John tells them in person. I was hoping for so much more in terms of content than this volume delivered. I almost feel cheated that I've spent time and money rereading old material. The footnotes, that I found so amusing in the first book, were banal and irritating this time around. And the obsessive compulsive in me was, quite frankly, annoyed by the many factual and chronological inaccuracies. We all know that John is not the world's greatest historian, but really, the last three years of his career are so well documented that it wouldn't have been hard to verify the detail.

The content is light, fluffy and airy, and could never be considered to be a serious read. It comes across as very rushed and lacking in focus. It was rather like reading one of those cheap weekly magazines, or the worst of the red-top press. The fact that the book was barely a year from conception to publication is, I feel, a major contributing factor here - the very best things in life should not be subjected to the clock.

Even the incident John refers to as "Ballgate" (the Radio 1 debacle last December where he exposed himself in the radio studio), reads as though he blames the media for the ensuing scandal, and appears to absolve himself of responsibility for his actions. I count myself as a loyal fan but really, I can't be that loyal. He gave the press the ammunition they needed, the moment he opened his flies. The fact that the incident was only heard and not seen is completely irrelevant. Apologise and move on, John. Everyone else has.

Finally, and probably most importantly for me, the book just didn't sound like John. It sounds like Carole. Which I don't have a problem with as such, but then it's not an autobiography, is it?

So I for one, won't be queuing up to pre-order volume three, if there is one. I'll just carry on watching and listening to the real thing. That's worthy of so much more than this book delivers.