5.0 out of 5 stars Batty food forever
As a self-confessed Soreen malt loaf eater, this is the book I've been waiting for. Its full of the most amazing and bizarre facts.. I always knew marmite had mysterious powers but had never dreamed it could be a secret weapon in the Arab Israeli peace process. The fascinating story behind Worcester sauce, and confirmation as I'd always hoped that there really was a Mr...
Published on 13 Oct 2009 by M. E. MOODY

3.0 out of 5 stars A shudder ran down my spine . . .
What a jolly idea. The patent, factory-made foods we gobbled up before we discovered pesto and the supermarket aisles filled with sustainably-sourced smoked salmon, sourdough bread and organic milk. The yoof of today don't know how spoiled they are.

Now I am not a food snob. I relish the kind of grub the "Hairy Bikers" do; big pies, solid fruit cake, and such...
Published on 28 Jun 2012 by Peasant

4.0 out of 5 stars Still passionate about Heinz Salad Cream..., 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved (Hardcover)
Sharp, witty and full of unexpected and fascinating information this stylishly laid-out exploration of the seamier sides of popular food is crammed with both an excellent study of the British in the kitchen and beautiful art work. Seemingly small, this book unfurls delightfully and is actually packed with the kind of material which both those interested in food and cultural commentary will find page-turning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Battenberg Britain, 29 Oct 2009
Judith A. Moore (Concord, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This little book covers the history of many british food products. The short descriptions of these products are written in an amusing style and actual advertising photos are included. It's a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battenberg Britain, 11 Jan 2011
I love this..it's great fun! This is a bit of a nostalgic look at those foods I remember more as a kid. It gives a history of all those foods we know so well..marmite,spam, battenberg cake,angel delight, tunnocks teacakes...there are some I had forgotten too, vesta curry and you can still buy them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good light hearted read, 7 Feb 2012
Pretty randomly organised collection of old foody favourites but well written and had me smiling.

Would make a great little gift for the folks or for tragic 80s fans like myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but quite lot missing, 16 July 2011
I enjoyed bits of the history. I was aware of the Marmite story as my family come from the brewing trade in Burton on Trent, it was made of leftovers.

Enjoyed the history of the Battenberg cake too.

It could have done with a more 'Best of British' things such as:

porky scratchings (even in some chainy newsagents, you may be lucky enough to get these still)
jam tarts
crumpets
gentlemen's relish (you get this from Fortnum & Masons now)/anchovy paste from supermarkets
Pontefract cakes
Bakewell Tarts (and now the Southern version is nothing like the northern one)
Eccles Cakes
Gypsy tart (for us born in Kent (a little lady felt sorry for some gypsy kids and found some things from her larder to make a sweet sticky tart)
Angel Cake (infact, I am eating one now!)
Bourbon biscuits (rock hard but full of memories, I used to eat them when we to watch hunter trials in the field next door)
Those biscuits with 'dead flies' - saw them in a newsagent today, can't remember what they are called G... something.
Milk of Magnesia, a mystery substance in a blue bottle given to kids (probably to shut them up)
Heinz tomato soup (I never could stand it but it seems to go on forever)
Carrs water biscuits (because your mum was slimming it was alway in the larder)
Walls Ice Cream (served in a rectangle cube)
Birds Eye Cod (in a bag) served in white parsley sauce (when your parent in 70s got lazy) (not to mention boil-in-the-bag curries)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 Feb 2010
H. A. Pratchett "pratchha" (London) - See all my reviews
The Book is a little misleading- lots of history but not a lot of instruction which is how it is described.

Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved
Battenberg Britain: A nostalgic tribute to the foods we loved by Philippa Lamb (Hardcover - 24 Sep 2009)
10.00