on 4 April 2013
The first couple of letters are good, but after that it becomes really boring and so repetitive and I didn't even finish this book in the endl. I bought this as I had read that is was better than The Internet Is A Playground and I'll Go Home Then, It's Warm And Has Chairs by David Thorne which have me in tears in laughter, but I do not agree at all with those reviews unfortunately. I would not recommend - buy a David Thorne book instead
VINE VOICEon 31 December 2008
Who is Terry Ravenscroft? Is he a 68-year-old lorry-driver with small children or is he just a prank letter-writer who assumes a new identity for each new missive? That's a question I found myself coming back to again and again throughout this collection of letters.

Yes, there were connections between the letters, references and similar themes, but the feeling I got after reading this book is that Ravenscroft (Mr) is the latter. In that sense it's less satisfying that Robin Cooper's Timewaster Letters, where we see a character emerge and develop with each new letter. You could imagine a personality behind each letter and how they fitted into the writer's world. I didn't get that with Terry Ravenscroft.

Also, unlike Cooper, Ravenscroft is often quite aggressive in his letters. He often chides his correspondent for not replying soon enough or demands free vouchers or samples from them. He is also quite often rude, talking about his sex life and intimate health problems such as his "anal pain".

Another thing about this book I didn't like is that it gets a bit boring after a while because he writes mostly to food manufacturers and supermarkets. There are only so many interesting angles you can come at them from and he explored most of them in the first dozen or so letters, which meant that the rest seemed a bit recycled.

I don't know why, but I only laughed at the last few letters in the book. I smiled at a few others earlier on. I only paid half price which seems about right. This is a good book to pick up to read only a few letters at a time.
2020 comments|22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2013
This writer has too much time on his hands and an excellent sense of humour.

The lengths he goes to to wind the companies up are brilliant.

A very funny read.
on 4 March 2012
Read this book some time ago and found myself looking for short stories to read on the recent plane ride I have just taken,I laughed so much I think I was disturbing some of the other passengers. In fact I may have given Terry another follower as the bloke next to me asked what I was reading that was so funny so I let him read a couple of the letters, cannot for the life of me think of how he keeps thinking these things up.
on 19 September 2013
This book was sent promptly, was good value for money and just what was wanted for Christmas by the person concerned.
on 7 March 2014
A really good read, Wish I had the nerve/sense to write some of those letters. Very amusing and good value.
on 8 October 2010
THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THIS BOOK IS ITS TOO SHORT -I READ IT IN ONE GO. ALSO GET HIS AIRMAIL BOOK AS ITS JUST AS FUNNY. YOU WILL FIND IT FUNNIER IF YOU ARE A SWITCHED ON CLEVER PERSON AS YOU GET HIS POINT OF THE LETTERS.
YOU CAN ALSO TAKE SOME TIPS FOR WRITTING YOUR OWN SERIOUS COMPLAINT LETTERS. -WELL WORTH THE PRICE FOR THE LAUGH YOU GET -AFTER ALL ITS THE SAME AS A TRASHY MAGAZINE NOWDAYS
CAN YOU WRITE SOME MORE PLEASE MR RAVESCROFT
on 18 September 2014
Hilarious! Brought as a present and was well received and loved.
on 6 April 2009
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There are reviews which say that this wasn't as good as Robin Cooper's The Timewaster Letters, but to be honest, I think it's the other way round. I laughed and laughed and laughed while reading this, while Robin Coopers made me chuckle every now and then. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 14 October 2008
Laughed so much people looked at me strangely on the train! One of the funniest books I have read in years! Please buy this as I am sure you too will be in stitches. From someone of such great comic talent I would expect nothing less and YOU will not be dissappointed! Worth looking at Air Mail by the same author!