5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely funny
Published on 9 Nov 2007 by Mrs. S. E. Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars DIES ON YOU QUITE QUICKLY
It is said that being a comedian is the toughest way to make a living out of all of the performing arts. Being a humour writer must be the equivalent hardest level in the literary world and for that allowances should be made in evaluating and writing reviews of such work.

Published on 8 Sep 2010 by DOPPLEGANGER

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars DIES ON YOU QUITE QUICKLY, 8 Sep 2010
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Air Mail: Letters From The World's Most Troublesome Passenger (Paperback)

That being said I can only judge a book on the length of time the contents retain my interest and in the case of this book it held my attention for the first 25%, I found my attention progressively waning for the next 50%, I had little desire to read the final 25%.

Maybe there just wasn't enough completely different humorous 'fake' complaints to fill the book and it should have been drastically reduced to the funniest of the material, leaving the reader on a high, albeit with a much shorter but percentage-wise, a more enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely funny, 9 Nov 2007
Very funny, the fact that it is all short 'stories' as such in the form of letters of complaint to airlines, makes it very easy to pick up and put down without losing the thread of the book. However saying that, I found it so difficult to put down that I finished the book in one day, more please! For me the funniest tales were the Air China and the Korean Air letters. Also the fact that the airlines takes these letters so seriously, makes for even better reading! I would not recommend reading this book in public as it makes you laugh out loud and you may alarm other members of the public who will think you slightly deranged!
Another reviewer took offence at this book, stating it was racist in places. My feelings are that yes some are, but they are meant to be and the basis of the joke is on the writer, showing up the letter writer in a humerous manner, I certainly was not offended by any of the material. I feel that anyone who thinks that they will enjoy this book will also probably enjoy David Charters books: At Bonus Time No One Can Hear You Scream and Trust Me I'm A Banker, absolutely hilarious!

2.0 out of 5 stars mildly funny, 20 Oct 2009
Cjl Van Sittert "cornelius" (Steenbergen, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I bought both Terry Ravenscroft books and read them in succession. Starting with the 'shopper's' book, I frequently laughed out loud and thoroughly enjoyed the read. Then turning to this the firtst book, I found it a bit disappointing. Where the suggestions and questions Ravenscroft puts in his letters are very original and interesting in the other book, is this one they seem somehow less so.

So, not a bad book by no means, just not as good as the other one..

3.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I thought....., 27 Sep 2011
Firstly this is in fact an entertaining book... but its not exactly what was promised. I work in the service industry and I know from experience that you get A LOT of crazy hillarious requests and complaints from customers, some that you wont even beleive, and flying has a tendency to bring out the absolut worst in people (myself included probably) which is why I got really excited about this book. However, even if the companies and arlines in question are real, the complaints and requests are not. This is written by one author who PRETENDS to be a customer and writes letters to these airlines with crazy complaints to see what they would answer and if indeed they comply. Indeed some of them are funny, and some are just so silly it actually becomes boring to read. I was hoping that the authored had interviewed the airlines on THEIR experiences of real crazy customer complaints and requests.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!, 6 Nov 2008
I needed a good laugh. Reading this book in under 3 hours provided it. Just like the author pointed out in a comment to one of the reviewers, I certainly believe that the letters are real (or else the book could not have been published without the various airlines' consent ) .
T. Ravenscourt's brilliant idea was to write to several airlines, making up far-fetched demands or with argumentative situations, and wait for their reply. To these he would respond again and again, seeing how far he could stretch it and get away with. I suspect that the patience of most Customer Relations departments with this particular passenger was tested several times! I can see the initial laughs after receiving the first letter and eyes-rolling-nostrils-snorting (or fuming) later on as "you know that passenger, Ravenscourt, you won't believe it, he wrote again, what DOES he want, listen to this!..." upon receiving yet another letter.
Granted that some of the missives are perhaps bordering offensive (like some reviewers pointed out), I still think that this book should be taken for what it is, i.e. a well crafted, humorous, cheerful piece of work. It could brighten a rainy day or be the perfect travelling companion, especially if you are flying. So have a safe trip and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love lasagne too, 30 Jun 2007
Ronald J. Leal "bookmate" (Australia) - See all my reviews
My wife bought this book in UK and passed it on to me and as she said you will not put it down, what a laugh and to think these airlines fell for all the stories, a perfect title for the book, my God what a horror and what an imagination,loved it and have given it to my mate who cant wait to get a copy of his own, I imagine a book such as this must have to be publishes in Australia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, 30 Jun 2007
M. Chesworth (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
On the back cover of Air Mail the One Foot In The Grave writer David Renwick says 'Combines the comic audacity of Ali G with the put upon charm of Mr Pooter'. It does exactly that, and much more besides.

The funniest book I have read in a long, long time. I would heartily recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that funny, 12 Sep 2008
Easy read,funny in places but becomes a bit bland.
To say this book is hilarous is a bit over the top if you are looking for a quick and simple read it hits the spot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Pants, 19 Jun 2007
This book should come with FREE PANTS because you will need to change them after you have wet them with laughter! Simply this is the funniest book I have ever read and would strongly recommend it to everyone!

With a pedigree like the authors no wonder it will be a smash summer hit! Perfect to take with you on holiday!

Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars light reading, 15 Jan 2013
funny quietly smiling excellent read for holiday .... plane etc! would recommend to a friend in fact gave as a gift to one who was delighted!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Air Mail: Letters From The World's Most Troublesome Passenger
Air Mail: Letters From The World's Most Troublesome Passenger by Terry Ravenscroft (Paperback - 5 July 2007)
5.59